🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 96.5 — Minisode 96.5

Stallone. Dolly Parton. Musical comedy. Next week. Paul goes through the many Corrections and Omissions for this year’s Halloween movie Monkey Shines, calls for a Nicolas Cage remake of Monkey Shines, and knocks down cowboy hats during Scheer’s Picks. Plus, for the first time ever, Paul is joined by June & Jason to name their own monkey and share how they would like to die in a Horror movie as they answer your Qs. Be sure to help Paul with an upcoming podcast project and ask Sylvester Stallone a question by sending an email to askstallone@gmail.com!

Los Angeles: Get your tickets now for the late LIVE HDTGM at Largo on Friday, December 5th at 10pm over at www.largo-la.com!

Pick up your copy of Deadpool Bi-Annual #1 written by Paul & Nick Giovannetti at www.amazon.com or wherever comic books are sold!

Make sure to tune into the brand new season of The League on Wednesday nights at 10pm over on FXX and check out The Hotwives of Orlando now over at www.hulu.com!

Also, check out Jason Mantzoukas in “They Came Together” on VOD, June Diane Raphael & Casey Wilson in ASS BACKWARDS for free on Netflix & HULU & Paul in OJ: The Musical available on VOD & iTunes! Don’t forget to grab yourself a brand new HDTGM Daredevil T-shirt over at the Earwolf store and a copy of Paul’s comic book Aliens Vs. Parker now available at www.amazon.com!

• Like 1

I can't wait for the next minisode, where Jason reads all of the ERECTIONS & EMISSIONS submitted by listeners.

• Like 7

I hate to be that guy who writes a CORRECTION/OMISSION on a mini-sode, especially as I loved Jason and June's inclusion this week, but....

Jason says in the Q&A's that in this movie Ella is not a slave, she is a helper monkey, but Melanie explicitly states-- when showing Allan how to use the laser pointer--that Ella is "kind of like your slave." I only remember that line because I had to rewind the movie it to make sure I heard it right. This woman, who has dedicated her life to training monkeys to help people with handicaps, believes them to be nothing more than slaves. Crazy.

However, since I don't want Jason to be angry at me and call me a nerd, I promise to blindly believe whatever he says from now on.

Oh, and fuck liver!

• Like 1

I loved having everyone there for the Q&A's! Also glad that Paul got the word out about clam biology.

For anyone who has seen it: is Rhinestone worth the money to rent? I typically only watch the movies if they are on Netflix, but we do love Stallone in our house...

Also, used to be CleverUsername, but it turned out that someone else already had that name! Not too clever after all I guess.

• Like 2

I loved having everyone there for the Q&A's! Also glad that Paul got the word out about clam biology.

For anyone who has seen it: is Rhinestone worth the money to rent? I typically only watch the movies if they are on Netflix, but we do love Stallone in our house...

Sylvester Stallone sings a song called Drinkenstein in this movie. I think that answers your question on whether this is worth a buy.

• Like 2

I smell a spinoff podcast--talking Tzatziki with Jason Mantzoukas. Special guest Nia Vardalos...

• Like 4

Sylvester Stallone sings a song called Drinkenstein in this movie. I think that answers your question on whether this is worth a buy.

It is so not funny, it is hilarious. Like, there are jokes (I guess), but the kind of jokes you would find in a book of Knock-knock jokes. Their dialog is nearly unintelligible, with no subtitle option on the DVD. I said in another forum it was like listening to a lawnmower talk to a dog whistle for 90 mins. The overall premise is, quite frankly, insulting.

It is, in short, a beautiful disaster and well worth the 6 bucks I paid on Amazon.

And "Drinkenstein" is the bee's knees! I want that song soooooo bad.

EDITED TO ADD: Just don't do what I did at first and watch Urban Cowboy by mistake. I will say though, Urban Cowboy is pretty HDTGM worthy in its own right, especially given Paul's detest for cowboy hats. Maybe do it as a live show and pair it with Perfect....

This was fantastic. Loved hearing Jason and June join Paul for the Q&As.

I'd pay actual money* if Jason did a weekly segment called "Speakin' Greek to Me".

* i m unemployed

• Like 3

So... are we to understand that the best way to learn to be a country music star is to

1. stand on the front porch with other country stars and sing "Tutti Frutti" and

2. mix yr peas with yr taters?

Wow. I sometimes mix my peas with my taters, so I'm halfway there! But I've never suffered jock itch so maybe it's hopeless.

In other news, everyone looked so young in this movie that I had to check on their ages. The movie was made in 1984, and Stallone and Dolly were both born in 1946, making them both 38 or so for the making of this movie! Stallone looked about 25 to me and Dolly a bit older, with that cloud of white hair, but still younger than 38. Crazy.

In other news: how do you even get your hair to look like that? Are those wigs? I assume that June will know, because she knows a LOT about wigs -- more even than she knows about tornadoes.

Dolly is so cute and charismatic in this movie, but her line delivery is so awful. She was nominated for some Golden Globes for other movies she was in, but wow... in this movie, not so much. :: resisting the urge to make some sort of joke about Dolly Parton and Golden Globes now ::

Here's another script that Sly Stallone "rewrote", and in this case, apparently the screenwriter tried to get his name taken off the movie. I'd say more but they're probably going to get into it in the podcast so I won't.

Edited to add: this is from Roger Ebert's review of the movie:

"One final fashion note. Dolly Parton is, of course, justly famous for her figure. It is presented in this movie with as much rigidity as the exhibit of presidential wives' inaugural gowns in the Smithsonian. The fabrics and colors change, but the basic design configuration remains identical in one dress after another, until her bosom takes on a sort of objective unreality, like Mr. Spock's ears."

• Like 4

Ok, just everything about this clip is Next Level Bonkers, from the guy who keeps putting salt in his beer (???) to the super-foamy beer to just... I can't.

• Like 1

Ok, just everything about this clip is Next Level Bonkers, from the guy who keeps putting salt in his beer (???) to the super-foamy beer to just... I can't.

Is it just me, but does the guy in this scene look like Rick Perry doing a Steve Martin impression? Or maybe just Rick Perry doing a Rick Perry impression....

This was a lot of fun. When they reduced the scheduled for baby time a while back, Paul said that there would be some episodes like this with just the three of them chatting, so I'm glad it eventually happened. It seems like they could do something similar every time without too much of a burden in terms of scheduling. Just record every two weeks with 10-15 minutes at the start being part of a minisode with follow-up on the previous episode (then Paul can the rest of the minisode as usual), then do the regular episode. (In fact, I'd guess that's what they did here, i.e. recording the Rhinestone episode after this.)

• Like 1

This was a lot of fun. When they reduced the scheduled for baby time a while back, Paul said that there would be some episodes like this with just the three of them chatting, so I'm glad it eventually happened. It seems like they could do something similar every time without too much of a burden in terms of scheduling. Just record every two weeks with 10-15 minutes at the start being part of a minisode with follow-up on the previous episode (then Paul can the rest of the minisode as usual), then do the regular episode. (In fact, I'd guess that's what they did here, i.e. recording the Rhinestone episode after this.)

Rhinestone was recorded live over the summer, but I agree with your point,

• Like 1

Ah, shit, of course. I don't know how I forgot that after wondering for weeks when it would be released.

Jason and June dong the Q&A too was fantastic.

I forgot about Jason's egg allergy, and how he is mortal danger of dropping dead from some as seemingly innocuous as a breakfast sandwich. :wacko:

I can't even get it up anymore unless I listen to a clip of June berating me to "be a man".

Worth seeing just for that bendy-knee move he does during Drinkenstein.

jwNaAR.gif

Seriously, this movie is so lulzy that I'd assumed they'd done it on HDTGM already, despite clear evidence to the contrary.

• Like 1

Jason and June dong the Q&A too was fantastic.

I forgot about Jason's egg allergy, and how he is mortal danger of dropping dead from some as seemingly innocuous as a breakfast sandwich. :wacko:

As someone who grew up in a very Italian household, I ate quite a bit of pasta as a kid. Having an egg allergy would have profoundly affected my young diet, and perhaps even my relationship to my family and background as it would have prevented me from consuming the iconic dish of Italy. I wonder, is Greek cuisine anywhere near as egg dependent as Italian? Would it be as drastic a change if Jason were, for example, lactose intolerant, thus preventing him from eating yogurt? Just because he talked about his background in this minisode, I got to wondering if his egg allergy affected how he identified with his ethnicity, because if I had such an allergy, it would certainly have affected how I identify with my Italian background.

• Like 2

If you don't hate Pete Holmes, listen to Jason's episode of YMIW. They talk a lot about his allergy and how it has affected his life.

• Like 1

Jason if you read this, if you want great greek food in LA, I recommend Papa Cristo's on Pico. It's awesome.