Sign in to follow this  
Bernard_Shakey

Earwolf sister network Wolfpop is here!

And finally, thanks for continuing to listen to the Wolf Den. As CEO of Midroll Media, little matters more to me than driving Hollywood Handbook into the ground.

If you knew anything you'd know that there'd be no bigger honor for Sean (who is 1/8th Native American) than being driven into the ground because he will finally truly be one with the earph.

• Like 8

As for new forums specifically, we really appreciate your patience as we've been working out the kinks here and there. I know that I personally find it frustrating to have to get familiar with a new interface after I've gotten so used to an old one. But our intentions are good! We moved to this new system because we're hopeful that it's ultimately going to be more engaging (ie you can comment directly on an episode page and that will connect with the forum topic, like Brett already mentioned) and easier to use. Ultimately, this Earwolf forum will transition to that interface too, but we'll be sure to maintain user accounts, posting history, etc. That means that your Wolfpop and Earwolf accounts will be ultimately be synced so this annoying double account scenario is only temporary.

I have a question about the forum(s). I understand what you and Stard are saying about connecting the episode pages and forum threads directly, and I agree that it is a cool idea. I'm just wondering how exactly the new platform is going to be easier to use? Some of the current issues like data loss, threads disappearing, time stamps being off, and mobile version re-sizing can be relatively easy to fix and manage, but what about the other basic functionality stuff? As a regular user of these forums, I like this one specifically because I can edit a spelling error, quote funny bits, and like posts. Hell, we can even embed audio and video pretty easily. I know these aren't a huge concern to you guys as producers and managers of huge amounts of content, but even if these issues are fixed in SB then it seems like it would only be as good as the forum we already have (plus having the episodes and threads connected). I trust you guys know what you are doing, just wondering what is so good about SB since my experience with it thus far has been fairly negative.

• Like 3

Guest DainMiller
Some of the current issues like data loss, threads disappearing, time stamps being off, and mobile version re-sizing can be relatively easy to fix and manage, but what about the other basic functionality stuff? As a regular user of these forums, I like this one specifically because I can edit a spelling error, quote funny bits, and like posts. Hell, we can even embed audio and video pretty easily. I know these aren't a huge concern to you guys as producers and managers of huge amounts of content, but even if these issues are fixed in SB then it seems like it would only be as good as the forum we already have (plus having the episodes and threads connected). I trust you guys know what you are doing, just wondering what is so good about SB since my experience with it thus far has been fairly negative.

Re: Bugs:

- The data loss actually was a human error, and only happened once to only 1 thread that had no comments as far as I know (the morning of our launch). The other data loss isn't actually data loss but was a UX failure, where users could post before joining the 'fan club'. They would hit submit and nothing would happen. They should have been forced to login and / or register. That has been fixed.

- Threads disappearing (discussed above)

- Time stamps being off: this should be fixed.

- Mobile version resizing is still in the works. That will roll out before Earwolf v2 that lands on that platform.

Just to touch on your feature requests:

- Editing is coming soon, has been in the works (asap)

- Quoting of posts is still TBD (and likely won't be there for Earwolf launch)

- Likes are already allowed, we just need to roll them out. That will be coming sometime this week actually! Has been on the list for a while now.

- Embedding audio/video is getting better, but still not fully there. You can link to things and I think we can get image embedding working, but video embedding is TBD really.

So basically two out of the four features you listed will be coming very soon, likely before the Earwolf v2 launch so you can try them out on Wolfpop.

What I'm getting at is It's certainly not going to be as fully functional as the forum here, but it will constantly be iterated on. We are doing releases as frequently as we can (daily, usually) and we are scooping up feedback to include in those releases from the forums here and on Wolfpop. :)

Cheers guys.

Re: Bugs:

- The data loss actually was a human error, and only happened once to only 1 thread that had no comments as far as I know (the morning of our launch). The other data loss isn't actually data loss but was a UX failure, where users could post before joining the 'fan club'. They would hit submit and nothing would happen. They should have been forced to login and / or register. That has been fixed.

- Threads disappearing (discussed above)

- Time stamps being off: this should be fixed.

- Mobile version resizing is still in the works. That will roll out before Earwolf v2 that lands on that platform.

Just to touch on your feature requests:

- Editing is coming soon, has been in the works (asap)

- Quoting of posts is still TBD (and likely won't be there for Earwolf launch)

- Likes are already allowed, we just need to roll them out. That will be coming sometime this week actually! Has been on the list for a while now.

- Embedding audio/video is getting better, but still not fully there. You can link to things and I think we can get image embedding working, but video embedding is TBD really.

So basically two out of the four features you listed will be coming very soon, likely before the Earwolf v2 launch so you can try them out on Wolfpop.

What I'm getting at is It's certainly not going to be as fully functional as the forum here, but it will constantly be iterated on. We are doing releases as frequently as we can (daily, usually) and we are scooping up feedback to include in those releases from the forums here and on Wolfpop. :)

Cheers guys.

Thanks for the update Dain, I'm glad to hear that many of the issues are either fixed or on the way to being fixed. I look forward to the Earwolf 2.0 launch and all that it entails. No one has answered my question though, which is what is so good about SB, or how is SB better/easier to use (as Adam said)? If we are in fact going to lose some functionality, what are we (or you guys) getting in return? Is it just linking the episodes to the forum threads? Is there some sort of automation that would make it so July and Agata don't have to stay up late five nights a week? Is it cheaper somehow? Is SB a better company than IP.Board?

I don't mean to sound like a whiny baby who hates change, I just really like this forum and the community of people it has created. Having a good forum with outstanding mods/admins who keep this place relatively devoid of horrible internet stuff truly adds to my enjoyment of the content you guys create.

• Like 1