🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 159 — Rainbow Bridge

Matt's always been up for debates and political rants and he's never played the 'I'm not a pundit, I'm just a regular joe' card, which seems really out of character for him. I think he knows the Case Closed segment went poorly, he sees he hasn't been able to adequately defend himself, and now he's frustrated that he's still getting criticism and he just wants out. Which is fair, to some extent. I do think Matt's response was a bit of a 'fuck you'; but, well, he's understandably frustrated (and I assume he wrote that post while stoned) so I give him a bit of leeway.

But that leeway is because I like Matt as a person. This is tempered by the fact that, like pfchangs says, tens of thousands of people listen to the podcast and Matt has decided to make his political opinions part of the show. Announcing "Case Closed!" and having a robot voice say "stop listening!" doesn't inoculate you from criticism. Matt's perpetuating what the rest of see as harmful and sexist narratives and conspiracy theories; we're just trying to talk him out of them.

I hope you try reading the long posts later, Matt! We still disagree with you!

• Like 2

He'd already made that clear with the robot. This felt more like a 'fuck you.'

Except clearly it wasn't clear to you from the robot, since you then typed out the longest post I've ever seen on this forum - which you clearly did want/expect him to read.

Sure, it would have been nice to have a better opponent (Matt was right, he lost the whole thing with his very first point) but Case Closed means case closed.

• Like 1

Except clearly it wasn't clear to you from the robot, since you then typed out the longest post I've ever seen on this forum - which you clearly did want/expect him to read.

Sure, it would have been nice to have a better opponent (Matt was right, he lost the whole thing with his very first point) but Case Closed means case closed.

Oh I wanted him to read it, sure. But expect? Nah. I was just filing my dissent for the record, Ruth Bader Ginsburg style.

• Like 3

I really don't like people commenting about forum posts being too long. It's really rude, especially when their posts didn't come out of nowhere. Matt talked at length about his opinions on the podcast and now the most vocal people in the discussion last week want to have their say. And, sure, it's case closed, but that doesn't mean forum members have to stop talking about the issue in the fucking forum of the podcast episode where the issue is discussed.

I actually don't think Monica Lewinsky should be the spokesperson for this anti-bullying campaign. I think her situation is so specific and unrelateable that it isn't really gonna help anyone feel supported except for maybe other celebrities who are bullied by the media. But I do still have a problem with Matt hating her. HATING her. I don't like her either and I don't care about what she has to say, to be honest, but I understand why SHE cares about what she has to say and why SHE is trying to make a career out of likely the best and worst event in her life.

• Like 11

I really don't like people commenting about forum posts being too long. It's really rude, especially when their posts didn't come out of nowhere. Matt talked at length about his opinions on the podcast and now the most vocal people in the discussion last week want to have their say. And, sure, it's case closed, but that doesn't mean forum members have to stop talking about the issue in the fucking forum of the podcast episode where the issue is discussed.

I actually don't think Monica Lewinsky should be the spokesperson for this anti-bullying campaign. I think her situation is so specific and unrelateable that it isn't really gonna help anyone feel supported except for maybe other celebrities who are bullied by the media. But I do still have a problem with Matt hating her. HATING her. I don't like her either and I don't care about what she has to say, to be honest, but I understand why SHE cares about what she has to say and why SHE is trying to make a career out of likely the best and worst event in her life.

:thumbsup:

I think what irritates me is that people are irritated by long posts. Like....nobody is making you read posts on the internet, and it's not taking up valuable internet space or something. Don't act like you've been inconvenienced by something nobody is forcing you to read or care about.

• Like 4

I have not and will not read your long posts.

EQUALS ---> Keep it pithy and there's a good chance Matt will read it.

pfchangs, you wrote a giant post, and at the end you addressed it to Matt: "So tell me Matt". Totally fine. We here on the boards can choose whether or not we want to read through all that to experience a Case Closed had you gotten on the line.

Matt took a moment to let us know that if we are composing giant posts and addressing them to him to slog through after the fact, we needn't bother. Even if he does read them, he won't be commenting on it, nor should he be expected to. I mean, the guy was already active on the boards last week to invite everyone on after reading their medium-sized posts debating the subject. After pfchangs humungous post, I'd feel the need to let everyone know about my reading policies too.

That's a totally reasonable thing to let people know. Pretty straightforward.

(On a side note and speaking for me personally, I appreciate consciseness. I read through plenty of long posts, and on occasion write some (check out the Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project forums to see examples of me beleaguering my points on many subjects), but I make no bones about the fact that people will either straight up skip my post or comment on its length. When I'm done, I always wish I could've made it shorter. SO much work for very little reward.)

TL;DR version: Brevity rules. Everybody take a breath.

• Like 1

Wow, gee KajusX, thanks for telling me my post was long and that I'm wrong to feel a little slighted when someone who asked for my opinion a couple weeks ago makes a show of ignoring me now, you're the first one to speak up! I'll keep my posts short and obedient from now on, promise.

• Like 2

Wow, gee KajusX, thanks for telling me my post was long and that I'm wrong to feel a little slighted when someone who asked for my opinion a couple weeks ago makes a show of ignoring me now, you're the first one to speak up! I'll keep my posts short and obedient from now on, promise.

You are welcome! Glad to hear it!

• Like 2

I for one am so relieved that the case is closed, because that was painful, in so, so many ways. I hope he sticks to his promise and we never hear him talking about Lewinsky on the show again.

• Like 1

I for one am so relieved that the case is closed, because that was painful, in so, so many ways. I hope he sticks to his promise and we never hear him talking about Lewinsky on the show again.

If he does bring it back up though we can just say he's doing it for the attention.

• Like 1

now that the case is closed can we steer this thread back towards what really matters, wild unfair speculation on who the total narcissist cop show actor at Asssscat was?

• Like 3

now that the case is closed can we steer this thread back towards what really matters, wild unfair speculation on who the total narcissist cop show actor at Asssscat was?

There's been a couple stories on the show where Matt's mentioned a terrible monologist but declined to mention their name. Seems like since it was a show that was open to the public there wouldn't be a need to keep it a secret, but I suppose he has enough listeners where it could stir up trouble.

• Like 1

Yeah, there was one a few weeks ago about hunting(?), and it sounded like this was the same person/show. Someone on here said that they were at the show and didn't want to say who it was, and now I'm really curious. I can understand why Matt doesn't want to say, but I don't think the audience is expected to be sworn to secrecy.

• Like 1

Is any part of the internet safe from the police? I can enjoy Improv4humans without agreeing with all of Besser's opinions. I have shaken my head at plenty of the shit that is spouted out on this show, but I also can acknowledge that the intensity he displays is part of the draw here. He said it best in this thread, he's not a pundit but rather a humon and comedian. Let him be himself and if it is so bothersome to hear him, don't listen. What the fuck is the point of writing a 1,000 word response to a comedian with no political or social pull whatsoever? I prefer to listen to people who are genuine, whether or not I agree with them, than I do some whiny asshole who can't stand that the entire world doesn't see through their eyes. The PC liberals on the internet are getting dangerously close to gestapo territory. Relax, breath, enjoy people with thoughts that differ from yours. Most importantly, choose your god damned battles. Your 1,000 words would better serve the world elsewhere. This is my happy place, why are you people trying to fuck with that. :)

Classy post. Timely, too.

yes, please stop trying to derail the real issue here, who was that narcissistic actress??

• Like 2

yes, please stop trying to derail the real issue here, who was that narcissistic actress??

It was either Rizzoli or Isles.

• Like 1