🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Ofcoursemyhorse

Ricochet (1991)

Bar none one of favorite movies of all time. Another Lithgow movie, and this is easily one of his better villain roles.

I really dont know how to describe it, but at a certain point in the movie John Lithgow forcibly gives Denzel Washington an STD, if that isnt reason enough to see a movie I dont know what is.

• Like 5
  • Hedgehog 1

I like the part where the prisoners get out of their cells in the middle of the night (Story of Ricky-style, because I guess they're on the honor system) not to escape, but to do battle in the kitchen wearing suits of armor made out of pots and pans and other crap. This movie's awesome.

John Lithgow plays a ginger haired assassin with a spectacular accent. And very nearly succeeds in destroying Denzel Washington's life with such an amazingly over the top lunatic plan. I really can't recommend this movie any more highly.

This movie is like Tango & Cash if Denzel was both Tango and Cash.

Bump. If you havent had a chance to see this movie you're seriously depriving yourself of something pretty fucking magical.

So down for this because it really substantiates that Denzel Washington is one of the greatest actors to ever live because of the number of crazy scenes he has to sell as if they are totally not crazy. Like when he defuses a hostage situation by stripping naked. Or his summation speech to a jury that doesn't involve a single legal argument, just him spazzing out and screaming to imitate how the jury was going to feel cooped up in a room but that they had to stay in there until they reached a guilty verdict.

• Like 1

This is a great movie. I don't think it would work for a HDTGM episode.

Its a fantastic movie, that being said the scene where Lithgow straps phone books all over his body and takes part in an aryan gladiator battle respectfully disagrees with you on this movies viability for a hdtgm episode.

Bumping this thread. Recently saw this and it does not disappoint. Other people in here have mentioned the prison fight, and rightfully so. John Lithgow beats Jesse Ventura during a nighttime gladiatorial death match in a prison cafeteria. That's also probably one of the least insane parts of this movie. The HDTGM gang would love this film.

• Like 1

Someone asked me to describe this movie and the closest I could come up with was this is a reverse count of Monte cristo.

Just realized that HDTGM has not done a single movie in which John Lithgow plays a psychopathic creepfreak. Not this, not Cliffhanger, not Buckaroo Banzai, not even Santa Claus: The Movie where he invents Christmas 2.

There are so many options! Someone needs to get to the bottom of this rampant Anti-Lithgowism.

The director, Russell Mulcahy, also directed the first two Highlander films, which is I think why the blades in the crazy phonebook-armor prison sword fight give off magic sparks for no damn reason. Honestly, Lithgow would have been a great Evil Immortal in either of those movies.

Poor Jesse "The Body". He would have lived if he'd had literally any other page of newspaper taped to himself.

I think my favorite thing about John Lithgow is that he doesn't even try to mask his theatre accent. I can't remember a movie or role of his where he doesnt sound like he just stepped off the stage at Broadway. 

Also because I've watched every episode of 3rd rock from the sun at least 3 times, it's almost impossible for me to separate him from that character. So whenever I see him pop up in something, I can't help but wonder what Dick Solomon is doing there and how this movie is going to handle his inevitable reveal as an alien. 

On 10/13/2018 at 4:09 PM, Ofcoursemyhorse said:

I think my favorite thing about John Lithgow is that he doesn't even try to mask his theatre accent. I can't remember a movie or role of his where he doesnt sound like he just stepped off the stage at Broadway. 

Also because I've watched every episode of 3rd rock from the sun at least 3 times, it's almost impossible for me to separate him from that character. So whenever I see him pop up in something, I can't help but wonder what Dick Solomon is doing there and how this movie is going to handle his inevitable reveal as an alien. 

My First Lithgow (fine name for a podcast, there!) was actually Harry and the Hendersons, so when I got older and started seeing these movies where Doofy Dad Henderson is shanking people, it was like an introduction to all the tremendous possibilities of acting.

If you havent seen it I also recommend Raising Cain. Him playing multiple personalities is absolutely amazing. 

Have to bump this. Excellent fit for HDTGM. Lithgow as a villian plus Kevin Pollak showing up just to do Shatner.

Denzel, Lithgow...how can it go wrong? I watched this film so much when I was like 13. Loved it then lol curious how it held up 😁👍🏾

I’m not sure if this movie will ever be considered but it’s a contender in my opinion.

I'm here for it too. After all, a Beretta in the butt beats a butterfly in the boot.

The reason I love this movie so much is how it takes the classic villain trope of "it would be too easy to just kill him" and runs with it to such absurd lengths. The complexity and execution of Lithgow's plan is absolute insanity. It's to the point that towards the end of the movie, he believes that he has pushed Denzel so far over the edge that Denzel is threatening to kill himself and he couldnt have been more horrified because he had even more elaborate nonsense in store for him. 

• Like 1