🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 160 — Funky Kong

Paul Rust, Pamela Murphy, and Dan Lippert check into a video game rehabilitation center on this week’s improv4humans with Matt Besser! They’ll also hear a first time concertgoer’s experience, get to the bottom of a grandma scam, and try to keep their cool around a cool kid’s above ground pool. Plus, we hear some hiking tips from a human by the name of Joey. Humans, watch Matt Besser & Rich Fulcher’s Adult Swim infomercial parody “In Search of Miracle Man” November 10th-14th at 4am. Program your DVRs now humans. LA: Head over to the brand new UCB-Sunset for a LIVE improv4humans on Saturday, November 29th. Get tickets at http://www.ucbtheatre.com/! Make sure to get the Upright Citizens Brigade television show season 3 now available on DVD, the UCB Comedy Improv Manual, Matt Besser’s new comedy album at mattbesser.com, and Dragoon’s new album at dragoongalaxy.bandcamp.com!

Yerrrgh first CBB on Monday and now i4h keeps failing to download. Not the end of the world, but shit's taunting me. It's like the ep is on my phone but only as a jpg. I can't listen to a jpg, phone!

I guffawed at the intro. Guffawed.

• Like 1

As a huge gamer, the idea of someone being so disturbed by the very IDEA of Funky Kong that it drives them insane had me on the floor. Already such a great episode.

Also, I've been having a ton of issues getting Earwolf podcasts to download to the podcast app as well. It won't download or stream so I've had to pull it up on the website.

• Like 3

Here's a video of a well known streamer getting swatted (~1 minute mark). He calls it when he hears rooms in his building being cleared ("I think we're getting swatted.") and rightly follows all the instructions the police demand of him.

It isn't usually used as retaliation against someone who wrongs you in game, but more as targets against public video game celebrities (yes, they exist) as jokes. Streaming - recording live video of you playing a game to an audience - has become incredibly popular over the last year or two, and there are sickos out there who think it's funny to call the police on streamers and seeing it go down live. There was also an incident where the CEO of a large game company's flight was delayed because a gamer called in and said there was a bomb on his plane, but that's really the largest profile "prank" pulled by the gaming community.

I don't know what article Matt Besser is reading from, but it's ridiculous that someone does it as "part of the game". Swatting is really just a very dark and dangerous prank that can have serious repercussions. That psychologist seems like he's just trying to get attention.

I would like to hear Mr. Besser read about gamergate and what his thoughts are on the harassment and abuse female game developers and journalists are subject to.

• Like 5

Loved this episode. Paul Rust automatically makes things great, but Matt just saying "What is Funky Kong?" is beer cherry on top. For technical criticism: Calls work better edited like that -- first time you guys've enjoyed a call well. Calls shouldn't be arguing or making fun of people, just fun and fodder for new topics. Want more like this. Great show all.

Wow Matt's really butthurt about Case Closed... and so much for following the Ethicist's advice

EDIT: Was just told that butthurt has homophobic/rapey connotations. I didn't know until now but looking back on it I'm pretty embarrassed I didn't realize it the first time I heard the term. I'm sorry I said it and won't be doing that again.

Edited by pfchangs

The only lasting conclusion I've drawn from all the Case Closed segments is that Matt really likes to yell about how he handles Case Closed segments. #caseclosed

• Like 2

Matt's description of one guy battling five guys could be either a "handicap match" or, if you're a fan of the early 2000s WWE games, a "Slobber Knocker." Hercules Challenge sounds better than either of those, though.

• Like 2

Matt's description of one guy battling five guys could be either a "handicap match" or, if you're a fan of the early 2000s WWE games, a "Slobber Knocker." Hercules Challenge sounds better than either of those, though.

I think Five guys taking on One guy at once is called a gangbang.

but yea it would be a handicap match.

I think Five guys taking on One guy at once is called a gangbang.

but yea it would be a handicap match.

And one guy taking on Five Guys is dinner time.

• Like 7

Wow Matt's really butthurt about Case Closed... and so much for following the Ethicist's advice

No one should ever say 'butthurt'.

• Like 9

speaking of Funky Kong, has anyone read Max Landis's 440 page Super Mario script? Funky Kong inexplicably plays a huge part in what is already a fucking bonkers mess. As an insane person who actually spent the many many hours it took to read the whole thing I can say it's an experience to say the least.

http://www.maxlandiswrites.com/super-mario-world/

• Like 2

My friend's grandpa recently got conned out of $5000 by one of those shitheads, but they told him to go to CVS and buy 10 $500 gift cards.

I do feel, as a Kong aficionado, that I must clarify that Funky Kong is more a surfer dude than a rap dude. But obviously he shoud be a rap dude, because a monkey rapping hints at you is apparently the funniest thing of all time. I legitimately can't think about that scene without laughing. A doctor driven to alcoholism and a family driven apart by being SO bummed out by the idea of Funky Kong.

EDIT: I thought the Barter Town intro was awesome. If you step into Case Closed Town and expect anything less than getting yelled at by Matt Besser you're a fool. He doesn't make anybody come on the show, and Sexy Robot even warns people who don't like the segment to turn the podcast off before the segment starts. I don't see why anybody would be upset about a segment that people go on willingly and nobody is forcing us to listen to.

I do think Matt should leave the case open to the comments section, though. He doesn't have to engage us, but sometimes I need to re-open that Captain Pike case because HE IS SO NOT A CYBORG!

• Like 4

What happened to Master Blaster again?

Oh, that's right. Case Closed?

You might have won the battle for Bartertown, Matt. But you lost the war!

• Like 1

MATTY B RUNS CASE CLOSED.

The titular sketch was amazing. Great episode all around.

• Like 1

Wouldn't have to say it if people didn't get it.

Dude, I completely agree that Matty B is handling this case closed issue rather poorly, but your insistence on using the term 'butthurt' is not helping. There are so many better and less vaguely homophobic/rapey terms you can use.

• Like 2

Butthurt is really not rapey and/or homophobic. It is an internet slang term for an overemotional reaction to a perceived slight. Ironically, butthurt is the leading cause of another of today's topics, "swatting".

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/butthurt

The more you know!

Ps - we need more Michael Jackson references from Paul

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this