🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 322 — YouTube Phenomahna

You know, I agree that (for me) this wasn't Morris' funniest character but I honestly think it had something to do with my extreme aversion to ASMR. Like, even as a joke there is something that makes me nauseated hearing grown men talk in that whispery, dry-lipped baby voice. I can listen to Little Gary all day, but start doing that ASMR whisper and I'm done.

Is it verboten to be critical on these boards? I say this as someone who has been driven to ecstatic heights of laughter by Bob Ducca and Seth Morris generally, but everything with Seth's character on this episode was such a dud. Scott steers into the skid at one point and makes the dullness the joke, with the comically overextended Quickbooks chat, but the non-Chelsea portions of this episode fell so flat.

It's interesting to see Scott's semi-hostile reaction to undercooked character ideas -- my favorite example of this is when Joe Wengert came on as a Men's Rights guy or something, but Scott wasn't feeling it so he seized on that insane "duck" thing instead. Quickbooks was basically a less funny version of that.

I love when Scott twists peoples thoughts into something so tangental, scott really turns tim-esque when he gets snappy, its awesome

but if anything, i think seth went hard in brick walling him. the give and no take seemed utterly hilarious to me, it worked so well because seth played perfectly oblivious to scotts intentions

I think thats just because seth and scott play so well together in that dynamic between scott and bob that its weird on a less personal level such as with this character

The Chelsea interview section was great, but I wasn't a huge fan of Seth's new character. The actual description of the pleasing sounds were interesting, but not funny. The idea of just getting lost in the conversation about finances is funny, but I checked out a little after Chelsea did. The sudden "Jellystone fuck you" fight was hilarious. There's definitely some merit to more subtle comedy with a sort of grounded character, but it's not as funny to me.

The problem is there really isn't much comedy meat on the ASMR bone. I guess Seth thought he could find something humorous about it beyond the blatantly obvious "it's weird that people whisper into a microphone to make other people feel good" but nope, not really.