🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 161 — Cory Branan and the Google Goggles

I'm surprised no one has called Besser out on Twitter for all these goddamn country bands he keeps getting on the show

My favorite podcast is getting dicked by my least favorite genre of music and I don't like it!

To be fair the songs this guy played are absolutely terrible and cringe inducing. "Qu'est que ce'st, ce'st la vie" and the line about the Kudzu over a rudimentary country guitar? Seriously mate I don't need to hear that degree of bullshit on an improv comedy podcast.

To be fair the songs this guy played are absolutely terrible and cringe inducing.

Yeah, seems fair.

• Like 6

You really can't argue that it was fair!

I've really dug the music on the podcast. I hate modern country music, generally, but I've always loved Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson and other artists of that ilk. That always felt like "real" country music to me. It's neat to hear that there are artists still making genuine country music with interesting compositions, even if it's not always "my thing." It's always good to widen one's musical horizons. Even if you don't like it, the music doesn't have to inspire YOU. It has to inspire the improvisers, which it does beautifully. Plus there is such a thing as fast forwarding.

Basically, shut up and stop complaing about a free thing that nobody is forcing you to listen to, is what I'm saying.

• Like 3

Thanks, Jacob. Where I live pretty much everyone lives modern country and we have a huge festival in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere where thousands of people come to get fucked up and listen to country music. I hate country music - the only country I've been able to like is Johnny Cash because who doesn't like Johnny Cash? But the alt country bands he has are decent.

• Like 2

I didn't like any country music before I started listening to this podcast. Except for Tallest Man On Earth maybe. Please keep booking good country music Matt. If you can list like half a dozen good artists that would also be muchly appreciated.

Just recently getting into alt-country myself, I'm loving all of Matt's music choices. I'm also a big fan of the guys with punk backgrounds(as Besser alluded to). I would love to hear Chuck Ragan on I4H.

If you guys are looking for more alt-county from guys who played in punk bands you should check out the Dexateens. Or Lee Bains III. Very good stuff.

Here is link to my music recommendation list which I put out a few times a year... http://www.mattbesser.com/?page_id=19

Tomorrow we have a really special episode of i4h that I hope you guys plug to people who like this singer/songwriter kind of music.

And of course on Saturday we are doing a live i4h at the UCBsunset.

• Like 5

Matt, we may disagree about Monica Lewinsky, but we agree wholeheartedly on alt country music, aka the genuine stuff.

Also this episode was heeelarious. "Classic Cunt Digger" is my new catchphrase that I will only say in my head for obvious reasons.

Here is link to my music recommendation list which I put out a few times a year... http://www.mattbesser.com/?page_id=19

Tomorrow we have a really special episode of i4h that I hope you guys plug to people who like this singer/songwriter kind of music.

Matt, every episode of i$h is very special. I only discovered this podcast (and long form improv in general) earlier this year and I am already part way through my second listening of all the episodes.

• Like 3

Some good stuff there. You should make friends with Chuck Ragan and get him on the show.

I feel like Matt would really like the National if he gave them a shot. Basically I want Matt to befriend all of my favorite bands so we can hear them do solo sets on I4H. Someone get Matt in contact with Thom Yorke!

I'll take this type of country over the vapid country pop stuff thats on the radio. I'm not sure if Lucero counts as alt-country or not, but my ex was really into Corey and Lucero (she was a country girl from Little Rock), and I enjoyed them a lot (never heard much of Corey's stuff at the time though), got to see them play once or twice. That said its still not my genre, but I enjoyed the performances on this show (lyrical quirks and all).

Really solid episode. Think the rollerskating bit was probably my favorite.

I'm glad you guys are liking these singer-songwriters. We have reached out to Barry, Ragan, Lucero, and many others. Problem is most these guys, when on tour, don't really have a lot of free time. But I do check out your suggestions.

Any ideas for legitimate blogs that would be interested in our musical episodes? We're sending out a press release this week.

• Like 2

I'm glad you guys are liking these singer-songwriters. We have reached out to Barry, Ragan, Lucero, and many others. Problem is most these guys, when on tour, don't really have a lot of free time. But I do check out your suggestions.

Any ideas for legitimate blogs that would be interested in our musical episodes? We're sending out a press release this week.

A quick google search brought me to this site: http://twangville.com/

It's a cool blog that has featured a number of the artists you've had on the show, like Cory Branan, Austin Lucas and Jon Snodgrass. Seems like they're pretty legit and have a significant readership. Hope that helps!

Sign in to follow this