🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 1 — Public Domain with Paul F. Tompkins

When PFT and Ms. Lapkus decided to call their word association game "What Do You Think of When You Hear This Word?" I had absolutely no reaction for about ten seconds, then, like Wile E. Coyote looking down after running off a cliff, the weight of the absurd brilliance of this joke hit me and I was bowled over with laughter.

Also, I enjoyed the 100% accurate description of Greek mythology involving butts coming out of mouths and sexing one's mother.

• Like 2

Somebody should go in and edit out all the parts when they say "edit this out"... then we can listen to a 15 minute version of the podcast and it have it make zero sense.

I just did. There's 2 versions depending on who's word you take. Will upload in a bit.

• Like 4

Somebody should go in and edit out all the parts when they say "edit this out"... then we can listen to a 15 minute version of the podcast and it have it make zero sense.

I came here to suggest the same thing. Can some industrious listener please do this for us?

EDIT: just saw hot slunch's post. YESSSS!!

Please let a future episode be the Super Ego guys and Lauren together.

Regina Crimp meets Spyryt!

• Like 3

this was great and I'm even more excited about what new characters she will come up with. Lauren Lapkus is unstoppable.

• Like 1

'Twas awesome. Did anyone else catch when PFT said "Specificity is the soul of narrative"? I've only ever heard that on the Judge John Hodgman podcast, so I always figured he was the source for that, or someone from his life.

• Like 2

I was going to do a bit where I said I did that, and then provide a link to an silent audio file.

• Like 1

I was going to do a bit where I said I did that, and then provide a link to an silent audio file.

Is this another ep of Great Bits?

• Like 5

earwolf gonna be pushing all the boundaries for podcasting when it comes to keeping it fresh and interesting. This format is epic and the first ep was unreal. two of the most podcast'd peoples come together and you can hear the epicness in the running jokes get better and better as they play off each other more and more

• Like 1

I was thinking that this tattoo could be interpreted as Calvin showing his apparent disrespect for toilet use by peeing in one. Or maybe to fully express that it would have to be Calvin peeing on Calvin peeing in a toilet?

0wa4tSF.jpg

also, a bonus, for achewood fans:

3SxtwdK.jpg

• Like 4

So, once upon a time, there was a short-lived show right here on Earwolf called Shortwave with Grant-Lee Phillips. It was a nice, low-key podcast covering a very specific corner of American independent singer/songwriterly music, emerging during a time a couple years ago where Earwolf was experimenting with a slate of less comedy-centic podcasts. One of the episodes featured a switcheroo where the show's normal host was interviewed by guest host Paul F. Tompkins. It was on that episode where I learned that Paul has a gift for sitting on the other side of the table, as it were, so seeing him as the straightish man of Lauren's (can I call her Lauren?) inaugural episode was not a shock, but a delightful and sorta nostalgic surprise.

This show's overall premise is delightful, and the thought that occurred to me was, wouldn't it be amazing if Grant-Lee Phillips came back to host a new special episode of Shortwave where he interviews American musical superstar Regina Crimp?

• Like 6

I was really excited to add to the Traci Reardon mythos. Eating plates of bubblicious, making the bed over her dead grandma, a future Traci covered in tattoos, all good stuff! It did feel a bit local though...although I did get the feeling they wanted it to be global.

P.S. Lauren is always on point

P.P.S Cut all of this out

So, once upon a time, there was a short-lived show right here on Earwolf called Shortwave with Grant-Lee Phillips. It was a nice, low-key podcast covering a very specific corner of American independent singer/songwriterly music, emerging during a time a couple years ago where Earwolf was experimenting with a slate of less comedy-centic podcasts. One of the episodes featured a switcheroo where the show's normal host was interviewed by guest host Paul F. Tompkins. It was on that episode where I learned that Paul has a gift for sitting on the other side of the table, as it were, so seeing him as the straightish man of Lauren's (can I call her Lauren?) inaugural episode was not a shock, but a delightful and sorta nostalgic surprise.

This show's overall premise is delightful, and the thought that occurred to me was, wouldn't it be amazing if Grant-Lee Phillips came back to host a new special episode of Shortwave where he interviews American musical superstar Regina Crimp?

Anyone whose seen PFT do those Speakeasy interviews knows how incredibly talented he is at being a host, as Tompkins can turn 15-20 minutes of polite conversation into a hilarious and delightful TV/Internet segment. Few people can do so much with so little, partly because he knows just how little you need to get a great moment out of a conversation. It's why The Dead Author's podcast is so entertaining and funny as well. He has this polite sense of joy that is infectious.

• Like 1

I was unaware this beautiful thing existed until hearing about it on CBB 324. And it's better this way, as Speakeasy kinda is, as this little, secret, beautiful thing.

I've listened to this episode like 4 times since it came out. Crazy funny.

yes I agree! tell me it's not a huge stain on the Howl Empire that 17-year old Tracy has to worry about paying for her grandmother's "proper funeral" costs! Scott step up for fuck's sake!