🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 324 — Golden Duchess Cruise Lines

wow sorry everyone I didn't even mean it like that.

it's an audio podcast, i wasnt commenting on how "my dick thinks she looks" but how funny and awesome she is, and i think she has a cute voice. (Please listen to the first scene of Improv4humans 127 Bugout Bag, where she plays a squirrel character and tell me she doesnt have a super cute voice)

Sorry if i have been harassing and making it uncomfortable for anyone to be on these forums.

i'll just never say anything ever again

i don't think you need to apologize. look, I see both sides and I think it's great that people are becoming more conscious of the double standards of how we praise men and women (especially in comedy) but at the same time your comment was totally innocent, it's not like you said anything really gross, you said she's cute, whatever. I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume as an Earwolf listener a huge of the reason you find her attractive (let's face it, who here doesn't) is the fact that she's fucking hilarious

• Like 8

i don't think you need to apologize. look, I see both sides and I think it's great that people are becoming more conscious of the double standards of how we praise men and women (especially in comedy) but at the same time your comment was totally innocent, it's not like you said anything really gross, you said she's cute, whatever. I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume as an Earwolf listener a huge of the reason you find her attractive (let's face it, who here doesn't) is the fact that she's fucking hilarious

I don't know. To me feeling the need to say 'she's cute' is exactly the problem or saying 'you find her attractive'. Why do we need to say either? You aren't posting how cute you find Jon Gabrus or PFT. You aren't posting how attractive you think Jon Hamm or the Sklars are. It just feels like a cheapening of the abilities that brought the women here (which you do stress is what you like about her) to qualify it less with about their comedic ability and more about physical attractiveness. If you aren't meaning it that way, then sure no problem, but beyond you we see these types of posts almost every single time there is a female guest(s).

I'm glad to know this! And I really appreciate that I can read and post to Earwolf forums without being subject to a ton of sexist garbage like on the rest of the Internet.

Wait, I'm sorry, is someone writing "_______ is a real cutie" sexist garbage??? So if someone meets your 5 year old daughter and says oh boy she's a cutie pie, that's a dirty sexist comment?

I fully agree if people are coming on here saying 'man when is so and so going to do some nude work, that chicks got a body that I want to get on!' but that isn't what were talking about at all. As a man I wouldn't be affected or offended if I were to read that 'oh man Jon Hamm looks handsome in the episode photos', or 'Nick Kroll's big fat Juuuush lips look lucious on the earwolf couch'

This is getting over the top for reals

• Like 3

I don't know. To me feeling the need to say 'she's cute' is exactly the problem or saying 'you find her attractive'. Why do we need to say either? You aren't posting how cute you find Jon Gabrus or PFT. You aren't posting how attractive you think Jon Hamm or the Sklars are. It just feels like a cheapening of the abilities that brought the women here (which you do stress is what you like about her) to qualify it less with about their comedic ability and more about physical attractiveness. If you aren't meaning it that way, then sure no problem, but beyond you we see these types of posts almost every single time there is a female guest(s).

Its only a problem or inconsistency if that person calls out a female, gay male poster, or just a straight guy with a man crush on Jon Hamm for saying something of that sort...

Most of the posts here are people voicing their opinions. Most of those opinions are 'man this episode was great', 'this was alright but I'm not putting it in my best of for next year', 'I really liked that line where they said _______', 'that plugs theme was hilarious!!!', or 'Gabrus knocks it out of the park every time', but if that opinion is once in a while a perfectly tame and respectful admission of a crush or love of a guest's outfit, then voicing your opinion is completely unwarranted and unwelcomed? This is just absurd

• Like 7

Its only a problem or inconsistency if that person calls out a female, gay male poster, or just a straight guy with a man crush on Jon Hamm for saying something of that sort...

Most of the posts here are people voicing their opinions. Most of those opinions are 'man this episode was great', 'this was alright but I'm not putting it in my best of for next year', 'I really liked that line where they said _______', 'that plugs theme was hilarious!!!', or 'Gabrus knocks it out of the park every time', but if that opinion is once in a while a perfectly tame and respectful admission of a crush or love of a guest's outfit, then voicing your opinion is completely unwarranted and unwelcomed? This is just absurd

But it's EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Go back and look through all of Lauren's appearances and you'll find someone commenting on how pretty she is, or how they wish she wasn't married, or how they have a crush on her. I totally understand that there is innocence behind that in some regards, but it just seems like it is always happening. I could be totally off base but it seems like even the moderator has noticed it and had to remove them (maybe that's why you're not seeing them because they are getting removed).

• Like 2

Because no women (or men) ever comment on Jon Hamm's good looks, right?

Poor guy

First of all, your name is Comedy Gang Bang, so that's not helping matters. Secondly, of course he gets things said to him at large. Everyone does. But I think it's a far stretch to compare his years of TV work and women saying things about him, to men always commenting on how attractive female guests are. I'm just saying our first response should be always to comment on the quality of the artwork and the creation and not on their physical appearance or our attraction to them.

first of all, if having a dumb, crude or tasteless username is off limits here I think we maybe listening to different shows, but hey maybe I'm biased.

secondly, what does years of tv work have to do anything when it comes to this argument? if being prolific is a factor in whether or not it's cool to comment on peoples looks then when it comes to Earwolf I'd say Lauren fits the bill in that regard as well, I don't have the data but I'd happily wager that there are hundreds of posts on PFT episode threads that talk about his outfits and whether or not he looks better in a mustache (mantzoukas beard/no beard as well)

and to your last point, you're absolutely right and it always is the first response, but respect for what they do and finding people attractive are not mutually exclusive. in fact they are super related, and it's not wrong to express that shit and I guarantee there's no one here that's just ignoring the show looking at the pictures and being like "that chick is fucking hot I want to bang her, let me go post about it on the board" we're all nerds here who love comedy and are probably way to invested in and feel connected to hilarious people we don't know in real life but who make us feel better and happy, if some of those feelings turn into silly puppy dog crushes then let it go, it's so silly to get bent of of shape about it

• Like 8

Wait, I'm sorry, is someone writing "_______ is a real cutie" sexist garbage??? So if someone meets your 5 year old daughter and says oh boy she's a cutie pie, that's a dirty sexist comment?

Yeah, totally the same thing.

I don't think anyone has a huge problem with someone calling someone 'cute' (and I think that's already been covered here), but Dan is trying to set a precedent that it shouldn't go further (which, as Luke points out, it absolutely does at times).

Sorry but I see them as very similar things to do or say, using the word 'cute' is as nonsexual as a physical comment can get in my head. For instance saying someone is cute means 'they have a sweet face that makes me the opposite of angry', whereas using the words hot/sexy means 'looking at them makes me aroused sexually', a connotation I just don't get with the word cute.

I guess I haven't seen the rash of sexist comments on the boards here, but I tend to not read them the moment the episode goes up, so maybe its been the moderating skimming the board of anything borderline.

Since I haven't recalled seeing anything that came close to crossing the line (unless it was an obvious lame joke, which are rampant here due to the subject matter), to me its less of an issue to fix and more just lets make sure its respectful and sweet and not aggressive and rapey

• Like 1

My delight at Engineer Cody Cody's opening gaffe was dampened only by the knowledge that it wasn't the Hollywood Facts theme that almost started playing.

• Like 5

Sorry but I see them as very similar things to do or say, using the word 'cute' is as nonsexual as a physical comment can get in my head. For instance saying someone is cute means 'they have a sweet face that makes me the opposite of angry', whereas using the words hot/sexy means 'looking at them makes me aroused sexually', a connotation I just don't get with the word cute.

I don't want to keep belaboring the issue, so I'll just say this - Regardless of how you perceive or use the word, adults use the word 'cute' to describe other adults to whom they're attracted. And even though it's the same word and in the same general ballpark (i.e. something that has an appearance which is pleasing in some way), this is absolutely different from using 'cute' to describe a kid or an animal.

• Like 2

I love it when episodes unexpectly go from pleasantly funny to absolute insanity. So I loved this, well, episode.

• Like 2

But it's EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Go back and look through all of Lauren's appearances and you'll find someone commenting on how pretty she is, or how they wish she wasn't married, or how they have a crush on her. I totally understand that there is innocence behind that in some regards, .

Yea I am probably the person who comments that everytime, but i like to play up the idea of a celebrity crush on Lauren for comic effect, but clearly it isn't funny for everyone. I'll cut it out since it really seems to be bothering people

Everyone's energy was so perfect and supportive of one another on this one. I can't believe it was a longer episode. It felt like it was over way, way too quickly.

Also, the single killer line had to be Scott's (it was Scott, right?) "You've done a call-in show" to Colin. Almost dropped my coffee. I think I heard one of the other guests (maybe Lauren?) do a really stifled snicker to it, but it otherwise flew by unnoticed. Loooooooved it.

yeah it was crazy how it flew by! if you like call-in/colin jokes, i recommend checking out one of Colin's other appearances. I believe it was the Christmas episode he was on.

and I'd like to throw in my 2 cents on the whole "cute" thing. It does seem relatively harmless but it can be quite annoying. I haven't seen it too badly here but on her Facebook page there is always someone commenting "oh marry me!". Same goes for some musicians I like, every picture has people, presumably their fans if they have to like the page, saying date me, marry me, you're so hot, etc and not even on provocative photos. These are just got done performing jeans and shirt "thanks for coming to my show." kind of photos. These are just my thoughts though. i don't know how this personally feels but I just try to avoid doing it.

• Like 1

Dudes are scum. White people are garbage. Cody should be fired. Problem(s) solved.

HOW DARE YOU. ENGINEER CODY CODY IS A NATIONAL TREASURE

• Like 3

first of all, if having a dumb, crude or tasteless username is off limits here I think we maybe listening to different shows, but hey maybe I'm biased.

secondly, what does years of tv work have to do anything when it comes to this argument? if being prolific is a factor in whether or not it's cool to comment on peoples looks then when it comes to Earwolf I'd say Lauren fits the bill in that regard as well, I don't have the data but I'd happily wager that there are hundreds of posts on PFT episode threads that talk about his outfits and whether or not he looks better in a mustache (mantzoukas beard/no beard as well)

and to your last point, you're absolutely right and it always is the first response, but respect for what they do and finding people attractive are not mutually exclusive. in fact they are super related, and it's not wrong to express that shit and I guarantee there's no one here that's just ignoring the show looking at the pictures and being like "that chick is fucking hot I want to bang her, let me go post about it on the board" we're all nerds here who love comedy and are probably way to invested in and feel connected to hilarious people we don't know in real life but who make us feel better and happy, if some of those feelings turn into silly puppy dog crushes then let it go, it's so silly to get bent of of shape about it

There is a difference between having a crude name and then weighing in on a talk about sexism and harassment and have the words 'gang bang' in your title, I think.

As to the 'on TV' thing, the point I was replying to was that someone said they were sure Jon Hamm has been harassed and commented on by women. His exposure to the world is MUCH larger than the comedians on here so of course he's faced it. But we're so small we can comment on not behaving as such and not lowering ourselves to the lowest common denominator.

HOW DARE YOU. ENGINEER CODY CODY IS A NATIONAL TREASURE

I'd buy an "Engineer Cody Cody is a National Treasure" t-shirt.

• Like 3

Yea I am probably the person who comments that everytime, but i like to play up the idea of a celebrity crush on Lauren for comic effect, but clearly it isn't funny for everyone. I'll cut it out since it really seems to be bothering people

for the record, I definitely noticed a pattern and I thought it was just a relatively harmless bit you were doing... but it's good to know that since Case Closed has made a comeback, anything can cause a massive, page-spanning debate. so that being said, here goes...

I can honestly say I've never seen any comments about any guests, male or female, that I consider blantantly sexist. this might be due to Dan or other mods deleting the posts in question before I can see them, but with the constant sexual jokes on Earwolf podcasts (i.e. Don DiMello and "the girls", Kulap's sweet, sweet bobas, literally everything that comes out of Zouks' mouth, etc.), I think it's perfectly okay for people to use the same (lack of) discretion when discussing things here, even if it blurs the lines between joke and sincerity. only speaking for myself here, but I tend to find most the regular ladies on these podcasts to be attractive... often times because they're funny.

conversely, the same freedom should apply to the women that post on this board... I've seen several comments that talk about how attractive a male guest is, and that's not misconstrued as sexist - which in itself, is sexist.

• Like 6

It's probably annoying to read "so-and-so is cute" on a regular basis, because it sort of masks the fact that the guest is funny, witty, clever, good at his/her job, with a superficial evaluation. I'm sure this happens in regard to female celebs much more than often than males.

However, the OP clarified that he did not mean it in a sexual way, and was commenting more on what makes Lapkus so likable and funny; that is, her silly demeanor, the fact that she's hilarious, and she's also young and not bad looking all make her cute. People often use the same descriptor when talking about Jimmy Fallon or Andy Samberg, and I don't think anyone interprets that as sexist or insulting. It's just part of their personas.

I would say that "sexist garbage" is a little much, and conflates what you see on the rest of the internet (which is often sexist garbage) with the relatively harmless comments found on Earwolf message boards -- specifically the one from OP.

• Like 6

I think we can all agree that it's very offensive to call people cute and that we should none of us ever do it ever again.

• Like 9

apologies for interrupting the slap fighting (overstated) but I just need to make my first comment on this board a resounding "hell ya!" on this episode. I've only been listening for a couple months but this group of comedians is scoring big time on my pleasure meters! I find that I need to listen repeatedly to maximize the jaw dropping antics. you guys are lucky to be longtime fans!

• Like 4