🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
agata

Episode 61 — Pauly Shore, Our Close Friend

Chanson, you were right. Cody is amazing. Not only did he save the show, but he's a bit of a badass who don't give an ef!

Did you hear him say about how he was stoned?! I mean I'm thinking he's a really cool guy now and regretting my previous judgement of him!!

• Like 4

I was pretty steamed that I didn't post my esure question in time, but given how Pauly roasted the handbook-heads who did get their questions on the air, maybe it was for the best after all!

• Like 2

Also, Sean saying 'weeze the joo-oose' is killing me.

Sean joining in on Pauly Shore's shtick killed me. He told Hayes "that's sweet grindage."

I also love that Sean said he is soft as a baby kitten.

• Like 3

Tim, since you have a financial stake in the show, what will you make Sean and Hayes do next?

• Like 2

Great 'sode, the interview section was not at all like pulling teeth and you could tell the guest was really prepared and into it.

I was going to like this but then I got an error that i wasn't loged in but i knew i was from before so i'm all "huh????" and now I completely forgot what I was going to say in response!!!

• Like 1

Once we get this show to be more popular than Wolf Den there may be some retroactive backlash against Shore calling Sean a homo.

• Like 4

Bit the bullet, took the plunge, weez'd the ju oooce. Pauly was fine. No he didn't get it, but it was understandable, and he was really game. He had no problem pulling out the weasle when he saw that it would make people happy, and he gave Cody the proper treatment. It seemed that the more lost he got the more earnestly he tried to dig in and contribute. Very endearing!

I dreamed up a game to get him to understand the concept of the show wherein Sean and Hayes ask him to rate a series of clebrities as being either "weez" or "juice". It's funny in my head.

Cody of course, was absoloute spatch.

• Like 4

Tim, since you have a financial stake in the show, what will you make Sean and Hayes do next?

Like a funny conga line dance or something.

• Like 8

Bit the bullet, took the plunge, weez'd the ju oooce. Pauly was fine. No he didn't get it, but it was understandable, and he was really game. He had no problem pulling out the weasle when he saw that it would make people happy, and he gave Cody the proper treatment. It seemed that the more lost he got the more earnestly he tried to dig in and contribute. Very endearing!

I dreamed up a game to get him to understand the concept of the show wherein Sean and Hayes ask him to rate a series of clebrities as being either "weez" or "juice". It's funny in my head.

Cody of course, was absoloute spatch.

He was fine. Not bad, but it was sort of a bummer since the point of it was clearly that he wants to remain relevant in the comedy world of cool young people, and for MY money (of which, to be fair, I have given none) Hollywood Handbook is the coolest young people podcast out there. So basically he came across like a lame weirdo on a cool people podcast. I know that Sean and Hayes says they's nerds, but really they're cool people and we all know it.

• Like 7

I know that Sean and Hayes says they's nerds, but really they're cool people and we all know it.

In my opinion nerds is cool people now and has good jobs and the jocks is the janitors

• Like 14

Paul E. Shore is why I assume Sunset Blvd smells like a sweaty butt in leather pants.

that interview was very very funny, i laughed very hard at it

• Like 5

Pauly said that Encino Man 2 was in the works until the Dumb and Dumber sequel didn't do well, I feel like he isn't self aware enough to make a joke like that.

• Like 6

...I just started listening to the episode a couple minutes ago and haven't gotten to the Pauly Shore part, but I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say that I don't think that it was a good idea to have Pauly Shore on the podcast. I thought this when Sean announced it on the forums last week but didn't feel like saying anything.

I could be wrong about this though.

• Like 2

I think the first half of this episode was just a desperate ploy to get the Feds and WBEZ Chicago off Sean and Hayes' sweet floral scent trail. I mean, really. I don't want to frighten any of you, but has anyone ever made this connection?

Hayes Min Lee

Adsean Nyed

Engineer Sarah Koenig Koenig

HMM!?! Everybody have phone these days, anyway. They say The Phone looking for the big bucks, but The Phone already have so many big bucks already. They're taking my big bucks every month, you guys! That's no reason for a murdering!

So not funny or nice or smart or even cool.

• Like 8

Glad I was able to listenfaster in this ep and kill two birds with one rock by having Sklarbro county playing in the background. I have a ton of free time now. Thanks HH

• Like 3

honest thoughts:

the parts where you guys make me buss up laughing are the best and you should do more of that stuff...peace

• Like 14

I don't comment on the forums too much, but goddamn I had to come here to give props to my man Engineer Cody Cody. "To make oneself legendary through one's own incompetence is divine." I think Shakespeare said that or maybe Mozart.

Five Stars.

• Like 1

Now I have listened to the episode.

Honest Thoughts:

Engineer Cody, you really saved this episode, thus confirming my suspicion that you are pretty awesome and also great. Keep doing that.

Pauly Shore, positivity and a good attitude can really go a long way. Listening also helps. I think a little empathy and humility can really be an asset to someone who is looking to find their place in an industry that is constantly changing.

Sean and Hayes, you guys did good, too. I think that you guys are at your best when you guys are goofing around like in the first segment of this episode. I rarely laugh as hard as I did when you guys were doing the Magneto thing. It was great! I'm easily amused but I'm also picky about it.

This episode really made me stop and think about Hollywood Handbook and where it's going. I think that the best episodes have been when a guest is in on the joke and really gets the conceit of the show. I suppose it would be hard to know who is going to be game for that if one doesn't already have a personal or professional relationship with them, but I would imagine that some people have a harder time catching on than others. I remember Grace Helbig, who I think is really funny, but also seems like she would have benefitted from having the concept explained to her a bit first so that she would be in on the joke rather than on the outside playing defense. Granted, I don't know the process you guys go through with guests before you start recording and it's possible you do explain the podcast to them ahead of time and some people are just bad at it. But I can empathize with Pauly Shore and can imagine being thrown into an environment like Hollywood Handbook where there are two guys talking nonsense and you would be left feeling like you were missing something. That would suck. There are probably better ways of dealing with it than lashing out at the engineer, who handled it brilliantly (seriously, good job Cody), but I can empathize nonetheless.

That said, it probably isn't a mainstream audience that would get this podcast anyway. It's kind of a niche market of people who enjoy listening to two guys (very intelligent, talented, and funny guys) satirically talking to one another as caricatures of disconnected, arrogant, successful showbiz moguls. I sincerely love it, which is why I stick around and bullshit on the forums, but I'm also aware that I'm a relatively weird guy with strange interests who is good enough at pretending to be normal that people don't think too hard about my eccentricities or how I'm constantly judging them based on my ridiculously high standards. So I think if the show were to attract a larger audience it would be through accessibility, which to me seems like being really funny with great guests who are on the same level and contributing to the forward motion of the show rather than having to be helped along every step of the way. I think that it would also be nice if the interviews lasted longer when they were on a roll rather than sticking to the set timeframe if that's possible. I could see that being really engaging as well. I think it boils down to the fact that, as a listener, I enjoy it the most when Sean and Hayes are enjoying themselves and are trying to crack each other up and those are the moments that I lose it as well.

So that's what I think.

Love You, Bye.

How did Ged log into your account?

Just playin', Chan Man.

• Like 5

Great episode. Thanks for everything Code-E.

Sean made me laff when he said Cradle 2 The Grave because that's a great DMX movie and we kind of have a history.

• Like 3

i know mr shore did not get what was going on but that made me laughh

• Like 6

I think having more mainstream big name guests is a good way to draw in new listeners, but if they don't get it or aren't especially good at it I'm not sure what the net result is. If the interview portion is less hilarious or in synch than usual, will those new listeners stick around? Also, I know that the first time I hear an uncomfortable or un-hilarious interview I am fuckin' OUTTA HERE! And I ain't never coming back. I have enough scary things in my own life, I don't need to listen to scary podcasts.

Honestly, I'd be perfectly happy to listen to all the usual guests in the Earwolf family, endlessly. I really think of the whole set of podcasts as a giant ensemble, and I will follow some of those folks (Besser, 'Zouks, Gourley, PFT, Andy Daly, etc.) wherever they appear and listen to whatever they do.

Speaking of dream guests, I would love to hear any of the Mighty Boosh players on this podcast. And the others. If they ever come to LA, they should just book an entire day and appear on every Earwolf pod. And if they are still alive, I'd love to hear any of the Firesign Theater guys. (Look it up, whippersnappers! Also get off my lawn.)

Finally, I tried to upload a new avatar picture of one of my actual dogs, instead of a meme dog from the internet, and it didn't work. If Engineer Cody is such a G-D hero, why do bad things keep happening to good people?