🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 163 — Eric the Paid Intern Returns: LIVE at the UCBSunset

Horatio Sanz, Betsy Sodaro, and Stephanie Allynne welcome back Eric the Paid Intern on this week’s improv4humans with Matt Besser LIVE from the new UCB Sunset theatre! Eric tells us about his recent break up with his fiance and shares a man on the street interview with an “ex-myanfrologist” which inspires scenes about meeting your significant other’s odd parents, being thrown into a mind prison, and the home life of a human platypus. Make sure to get the Upright Citizens Brigade television show season 3 now available on DVD, the UCB Comedy Improv Manual, Matt Besser’s new comedy album at mattbesser.com, and Dragoon’s new album at dragoongalaxy.bandcamp.com! improv4humans will be back at the UCB Sunset LIVE on December 22 with a Christmas special. Go to https://www.ucbtheatre.com/ for tickets!

Great episode. I missed hearing the awkward dulcet tones of Eric the unpaid intern.

Where do I chime in on the votes? I personally love the musical episodes because it mixes things up and it brought me into a sort of country music I really didn't know existed.

Case closed is exhausting sometimes and feels a little one sided / yell-y. I honestly don't find it relaxing/entertaining to hear two people not getting convinced about each other's opinions and its a drag on the show. It's worked the best when experts actually chime in like the sushi rite aid guy that talks about facts. Way shorter

Weirdly I like the Mississippi stuff even though it feels similar to case closed. It's probably because people are talking about facts like rankings of states on x chart.

As a fellow 22 year old, I sympathized with Eric's plight.

But boy oh boy did I miss his interviews.

"Are you a lakers fan? Yeah...uh...me too. How's your relationship with your family?"

• Like 6

I vote for case closed and the musical episodes to stay.

Florida should not be the new Mississippi only due to how much good music comes from and goes through the state. Chris Farren is from Naples, Chuck Ragan/Hot Water Music is from Gainesville, and the FEST is one of the best things every year in Florida.

I love Florida, and I think it easily beats out at least three other states (Mississippi, Kentucky, and Arizona) for worst in the union.

• Like 1

Instead of making Case Closed it's own podcast, Matt should just limit the segment to when he can actually get a qualified debater or recognized spokesperson for whatever the debated subject is on the show, instead of Timmy from Tuscaloosa who just wants to hear himself on a podcast and folds after two minutes.

Also if you don't like the music just fast forward, Christ. But I'd like to see Matt mix it up a bit, maybe get Brendon Small in there to melt their faces with some instrumentals.

Oh, and Texas.

• Like 2

I personally love both the music eps and case closed. I think the music eps should stay like they are, but I think maybe case closed segments should be removed from the eps and be released as Tuesday bonus eps like when y'all used to do regular bonus eps with extra scenes from the previous ep.

• Like 2

Once again this isn't a political talk show. We can't pre interview everyone for the show to measure their "qualifications". I'm not anymore qualified on a topic than who I am debating. I always just allow whomever shows up to do it. Case Closed will never be fair. Master Blaster rules barter town and that's it.

Brett and I want to know why can't the people who don't like Case Closed just end the show at the robot's warning? I don't get mad at my pizza because I don't like pizza crust.

• Like 18

The complaints against Case Closed are insane. Matt doesn't force anybody to call in to the show, and doesn't force any of you to listen to it. Sexy Robot even puts a warning before the segment, because she knows you weenies hate it so much. That's right. Weenies.

Also, one case closed segment will often inspire like three or four scenes, and you know what exists? A fast forward button. It's really an astonishing achievement and I would encourage you to seek it out at your earliest convenience.

It bugs me. Improv4Humans is a free show that has brought so much joy to my life. This has been one of the worst years of my life, and stuff like this has inspired me and kept me from losing my mind. There's no good improv comedy in Columbus, Ohio (there's not a lot of good anything that isn't college football) so this show is a gift, and has introduced me to a world of comedy that I didn't even know existed. I'm not trying to suck up here, I just genuinely feel annoyed by people getting all in a tizzy about one segment of a show that they can skip if they want to.

• Like 6

Thanks Jacob, but I am truly curious as to why not eating the crust isn't okay?

• Like 5

I don't know exactly what these people are thinking because I enjoy how the show has changed and expanded since the beginning. I feel like it's your show and you should do whatever you want because up to this point you have been delivering an awesome free show for years. It's because of your choices that the show has gotten bigger and in my opinion, better.

My guess is that some people feel they are entitled to this thing because they listen to it all the time and they have a relationship with this entertainment in their head a certain way. So when the format is changed a little they don't like it. Or they don't like the genre of musical guests you bring on. Either way I think it's just that this podcast has a pretty specific tone and when you branch out into music or debates, that change makes some people uncomfortable or unhappy and they want to voice that because you have previously had a fairly open line of communication with your fans.

• Like 2

Ferry Van Hove is going to be very confused by the end of today. Wonder who else looked him up on facebook.

• Like 2

Great to hear Eric again, I was excited to see him in the title and his awkwardness delivered.

On the subject of splitting up the podcast/voting - I agree with Matt's position. It's his show, he's Master Blaster, the show was remodeled to move Case Closed to the end with a warning. I'd like to add Case Closed is my favorite segment, I really enjoy hearing Matt argue and get worked up, even if things tend to be one-sided. That being said, if Matt is hearing a lot of complaints outside of what we see here - personal emails and itunes subscription data and such - then maybe breaking it off into its own podcast might not be a bad idea. I can see a lot of benefits, assuming that Matt is interested in putting in the additional work. If you're looking at a weekly show, then you're looking at weekly subjects, debaters, etc. but a seperate show will evolve and grow its own way and would be really interesting. I'd love to hear more, and would be excited to have a weekly Case Closed episode.

However, if the complaints are only what we're seeing here on the Earwolf forums (and, to a lesser extent, on /r/earwolf) then I think the current format is fine. Especially if Matt isn't looking at doing more Case Closed, just moving the current monthly-ish segment into a seperate podcast.

With music I would say the same thing on all counts, other than that it's my favorite. I do enjoy it, but wouldn't mind if it never returned. I don't see enough complaints to really be concerned, but I don't have Matt's info. If Matt wants to do a music podcast, that would be interesting for sure, but also a lot more work.

Maybe spreading the Thanks Mississippi thing to something just mocking local government in general? Here in Oregon we have some pretty crazy local government stories, although I don't think anyone would place my state on any worst-of list. Anyway it would get the same point across - what is wrong with our society? - without having a regional shaming aspect.

Best podcast in the universe, Matt!

• Like 1

I'm not sure I understand the question, but I like the crust. I like the whole pizza.

I vote for keeping Case Closed and the musical episodes in the show. If magic like the Atlantis scene can be spun from musical guests then it's more than worth the price of admission.

When it comes to i4h, I like how Matt has always used the podcast to do improv how he feels like doing it. He read letters from his dad, he brings in articles he's read, YouTube clips, musical guests, Internet guests, he invites people to debate. This is i4h. It's more than just an improv show with a one word suggestion.

• Like 6

Was I in a fever dream or did Horatio Sanz say he was going to have his own podcast on Earwolf?

As to the proposed changes...Besser you just do you.

Please change nothing about this show, unless it's just more appearances by Eric the (Un)Paid Intern.

• Like 3

Ferry Van Hove is going to be very confused by the end of today. Wonder who else looked him up on facebook.

PSA FOR EVERYONE: Please do not harass this guy, do not try to friend him. If for nothing else, Eric will have a heart attack.

• Like 17

Lyft is the Trader Joe's of car services. I hate when I'm at checkout and the guy is looking at my basket full of booze and candy and says "heyooo, havin' a party?" and I'm like "nope."

I vote for a "Case Closed" podcast hosted by Eric the paid intern.

• Like 4

I am offended Idaho isn't getting some run for worst state in the union. We have a solid contingency of white supremacists. Our largest private employer, consistent with the rest of America, is Walmart. We are bottom five in school funding. We have one the lowest percentage of college graduates in the country. Our governor won a Mr. Tightjeans contest. Last month a teacher at the high school in my hometown snapped a live rabbit's neck in class and skinned it. And was celebrated as a hero by the local paper for teaching kids where food comes from. You can marry at age 14 with your parent's permission. We have contributed little to nothing insofar as culture or cuisine is concerned, unless being known as "where Ernest Hemingway shot himself" counts. When dudes were caught brutally beating cows at a dairy, our legislature responded by making it illegal to videotape beating cows. Please, Besser. Give us some thought!!

• Like 5

Hey, Matt, keep Case Closed and the musical eps in. Variety is good with I4H and I enjoy both segments. I probably never would have listened to Cory Branan if I didn't hear him on the show. He's actally coming here next week and I'm going to go see him because of his appearance.

As for Florida v. Arizona, I'm a born and raised Floridian and I'd be proud to either be against or for Florida. I have a lot of complicated feelings about this state.

• Like 2

Totally vote for both to stay in the show. I like the music shows because they clearly make Matt happy. I love Case Closed because it clearly makes Matt angry. Maybe move case closed to the last segment of the show so people can skip if they want?

I vote for keeping Case Closed and the musical episodes in the show. If magic like the Atlantis scene can be spun from musical guests then it's more than worth the price of admission.

When it comes to i4h, I like how Matt has always used the podcast to do improv how he feels like doing it. He read letters from his dad, he brings in articles he's read, YouTube clips, musical guests, Internet guests, he invites people to debate. This is i4h. It's more than just an improv show with a one word suggestion.

I forgot about the letters from his dad segment! Boy I liked that.

PSA FOR EVERYONE: Please do not harass this guy, do not try to friend him. If for nothing else, Eric will have a heart attack.

Haha good point, I only looked him up and looked at his pictures. It was funny because Matt said something along the lines of "I bet he is a singer of a band" and almost all of the pictures he is in he is playing a guitar. But yeah, definitely don't do anything more than that.

As far as the music/case closed stuff my view on it is this: Besser does a free podcast that is his creation, let him do whatever he wants with it. You have a right not to like/listen to it but it's Matt's creation and he should have the ability to do what he wants without being harassed about it. I never would have found out about David Bazan if it weren't for I4H and never would have heard of St. Vincent had I not heard her on CBB.