🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 163 — Eric the Paid Intern Returns: LIVE at the UCBSunset

I love this show and everything it does. If I don't like the music of a music episode, I skip passed it. The scene is still always good.

I want to nominate Kansas as a contender for worst state. We just re-elected the guy who bankrupted us and shuttered a bunch of schools. My idiot brother (who works at a junk mail mailing house) even defnds that piece of shit. I'm the only person in MY WHOLE FAMILY that wasn't on darren wilson's side. We are constantly on the wrong side of evolution being taught in schools. The facebook page "fuck you, I'm from Kansas" is 1000 times more popular than my podcast "Sorry, Kansas". As a thoughtful person who hates being lied to, staying here is sucking me dry.

• Like 2

Haha good point, I only looked him up and looked at his pictures. It was funny because Matt said something along the lines of "I bet he is a singer of a band" and almost all of the pictures he is in he is playing a guitar. But yeah, definitely don't do anything more than that.

I attended the live recording this past Saturday, and I will say that for the podcast they understandably did cut out the part where they looked up his fb page and the first scene of the night that followed.

The scene in question revolved around Stephanie leaving a very plain-named Matt character for a ridiculously-named Horatio character. Horatio is their next door neighbor who technically lives closer to the school Stephanie is attending. Betsy comes in later as an even more ridiculously-named character. Betsy's new to the neighborhood and is going door-to-door to have people welcome her (or something like that). Betsy lives four houses closer to the school than Horatio does, soooooo

• Like 7

Brett and I want to know why can't the people who don't like Case Closed just end the show at the robot's warning? I don't get mad at my pizza because I don't like pizza crust.

Hey, although I was one of the arguers and I wrote long posts, I loved every past Case Closed and I want you to keep Case Closed! I like it when you have arguments with gun nuts or bible thumpers or people from Mississippi. One of the greatest things about your podcast is that you actually get angry and fighty, and then you turn that anger into comedy bits. Anyone who listens to the robot and skips Case Closed is missing out on one of the main thing that makes I4H (and the whole podcast medium) intimate and personal and special.

My beef wasn't with Case Closed in general. It's with the particular opinions you were expressing. I mean, people on this forum and in the podmass thread expressed disappointment with the way you guys talked about Lewinsky before you ever did a Case Closed. I think it's just that you didn't realize that your opinions about Monica Lewinsky are way more unpopular with your listeners than your other political opinions. It made those segments more aggravating to us than fun. But, you know, it's super funny when you alienate other groups, so I guess I'll have to accept that occasionally I'll hear you alienate me. (You're still totally wrong about Lewinsky though dude!)

Also, I dig your musical guests and my girlfriend and I buy albums based on the bands who show up on your show. I do tend to skip the music on a lot of first listens, because when I put on your podcast it means that I'm in in the mood for comedy. I go back and listen to it later.

• Like 1

I think the music episodes are great: the songs are short, and even if I despised every second of a song, I think it's worth it just to hear the discussion about what the song means. If nothing else, that discussion is always interesting (and it's that fact that is kind of at the soul of improv).

The Case Closed stuff is a different matter: it's not the same kind of material. If you find the argument itself is entertaining, it's in a totally different way than the rest of the show. If not, there's nothing really redeeming about it until they do a scene, and that can take forever. That said, I still think it's great. I'd say you have some choices:

* make it a Bonus Episode

* close the show and have everyone do their plugs, then make it clearer that Case Closed is the only thing left to listen to in the show. People that don't like it will be frustrated when fast forwarding trying to find the end of the segment.

* edit or structure Case Closed to be much shorter and keep them in the episode.

* interrupt the argument every so often to do a scene: more scenes per Case Closed!

People love arguing on the internet. I think they only thing they love arguing about more is arguing about people arguing on the Internet.

Offtopic, I don't understand the point of people saying "it's Matt's show, he can do what he wants." It totally is, and he is not obligated to listen to any of us assholes. But Matt wants listeners, and listeners can do whatever they want. He's got to play the game of pleasing the most listeners without bending to the will of the crazy few, or degrading the quality of his product (and it's never degraded, except maybe for that 4/20 show). Besser is a saint for wanting to step into that game, because it's not easy, and it makes my work day a shitload better whenever there's a new episode.

• Like 1

This line-up was so good. Horatio is always wild. Stephanie and Betsy are the best! Did you all see @midnight with Matt, Arden Myrin, and Gabrus in a jenky ass polo shirt? Besser won it with a fart joke. Earlier in the show Arden came at Matt because he did a Cosby riff. Then he did another cosby reference and for the final round Arden tried some anti-women crack that did nothing. Fart joke for the win!!

• Like 2

I think Case Closed being its own podcast/bonus ep would be better for Case Closed than for I4H. Plus, another cast to listen to is awesome and a dedicated debate space could be fun.

Regardless, I don't really care either way. More Eric the Intern.

Division of segments into separate podcasts is iffy to me. Of my subscriptions, I've only ever experienced it once, which was when Doug Loves Movies took its interstitial content between Tuesday recordings and moved it to Doug Loves Minis. I am a fan of Doug Loves Minis because I enjoy the regular format of the show so much that when a Benson Movie Interruption preamble recording or a quick game from a stand-up show would drop I'd get stoked thinking it was a full episode of the regular show. Doug Loves Minis became a nice home for that content because I know the kind of episodes to expect from each podcast now.

Regarding Case Closed, I feel it fits just fine as part of i4h prime and don't think it is necessary to move it. That being said, if it did move to a monthly/whatever mini-cast dropped on a Tuesday or what-have-you— like the bonus eps— then I think that is fine as well. I do think it should remain under the regular i4h podcast RSS. Just like with Scott on CBB announcing there will be a Thursday bonus ep, Matt could announce on Thursday's i4h that Tuesday will be a Case Closed. This way another podcast subscription would not have to be made. It'd still be i4h.

Once again, to reiterate, I don't personally feel Case Closed needs to be moved to its own separate thing, etc. But if Matt wants to find a home for Case Closed outside of the Thursday episodes, then I think a bonus Tuesday ep is the easiest route to go without making a new podcast RSS feed, a new subscription for listeners to add, etc.

• Like 2

Vote for both to stay.

Anyway, let's not ignore the fact that this episode was fucking great. Great group, good integration of Eric and the crowd, awesome all around.

• Like 4

Podcasts have the ability to have "chapers" though most podcast producers never use the advanced features. Download an EP of superego, not only do they chapter their podcast but they even have album art that changes for each scene.

If you made each scene, or just case closed it's own chapter one skip would go past it.

• Like 1

It seems like most people have nothing but positive feedback for the musical eps, and while I still listen too and enjoy those episodes. I would prefer to see them go. Obviously Matt seems to really enjoy having musicians he's fans of on the show. But I just feel like with those episodes it basically turns I4H into a music podcast where it's predominately made up of discussing music and interviewing the musician. While the comedy and improv is completely secondary. I listen to the show because I enjoy Matt's comedy sensibility, I don't know why I need to like his taste in music as well. I still enjoy the show either way, but just felt the need to play devils advocate.

• Like 1

I'd recommend putting my home state of Louisiana in place of Mississippi if it wouldn't also feel like kicking a puppy. We're consistently 49th to Mississippi's 50th on those lists Matt mentioned, current governor Bobby Jindal is hilariously embarrassing in his national ambitions, and among our other feats people almost elected a former KKK Grand Wizard as governor back in the '90s. On the upside we have good food and music and I think New Orleans is a redeeming feature as well.

I seem to recall there being a guy from/in Louisiana who called in regarding this question in a past Thank You Mississippi or Case Closed? I can't even remember if he was trying to defend our poor neighbors or not, but it was a reminder of how linked we are in our sadness. Poverty, racism and bad infrastructure have been kicking our asses for decades.

Personally, I'd prefer Florida to get the treatment next. I visit relatives there and am always amused/horrified by how the interstate billboards alternate between ads for strip clubs and crazy right wing religious groups.

As far as Case Closed, I am usually a big mopey puss about hearing Master Blaster Matt incinerate the opposing arguments and don't enjoy the awkwardness very much. I get weird Eric-level anxiety about the whole thing. Its easy enough to skip through, though, and the resulting scenes can be good.

Conversely I've enjoyed the musical episodes a lot, both for the exposure to new artists and the scenes and discussion surrounding the songs. Its usually a more upbeat vibe and goes fun places. See the amazing Atlantis scene for one good example.

• Like 1

Case closed is my favorite segment ever! I love hearing people debate especially when its Matt Besser cause he is more often than not right ..makes great points.. and is just all over brilliant! this episode was so great I want more birdy so derdy on the show haha..

• Like 1

When Matt told Eric, "You sound a little wasted," I had thought the same thing like 10 seconds before! Like Matt, no judgement. I really enjoyed hearing Eric again.

I vote for keeping both in the podcast.

As to why people get in such a tizz about whatever segment, I think there are a couple of reasons;

1. People get invested in podcasts maybe more than any other type of media. If you put on something they don't like, it might feel like you're calling them wrong. You aren't, but the lack of a host persona like you'd get on radio or tv makes it feel more personal. Like if people watch Bill Maher because they hate themselves, they know that whatever he's saying is at the very least tweaked to provoke. With Besser it's his true opinion, making disagreements felt more keenly. Leading to...

2. People just want the Master Blaster to be on their side. This weird polarization/lack of nuance/no-true-Scotsman thing that goes on on the internet where every issue gets tied to either progressivism or conservatism, leads to a, "No true progressive/conservative would believe ________".

My beef wasn't with Case Closed in general. It's with the particular opinions you were expressing. I mean, people on this forum and in the podmass thread expressed disappointment with the way you guys talked about Lewinsky before you ever did a Case Closed. I think it's just that you didn't realize that your opinions about Monica Lewinsky are way more unpopular with your listeners than your other political opinions. It made those segments more aggravating to us than fun. But, you know, it's super funny when you alienate other groups, so I guess I'll have to accept that occasionally I'll hear you alienate me. (You're still totally wrong about Lewinsky though dude!)

...is a case in point. (Not tryna rag on you erudite crudite)

It's just that podcasting in general is such a new medium that I don't think we as a whole have figured out quite how to relate to it. It's so personal and intimate that it does foster this feeling of quasi-friendship or whatever. But, unlike when we disagree about some matter of politics with a friend and are then able to change the subject and continue being friends, on a podcast whenever there's a disagreement about politics that's the final word. It's like if whenever you disagreed with a friend about politics, you both bolt ran away when the argument was at it's most heightened and one side just stewed about it coming up with esprit descalier comebacks.

Anyway love the show, love the music, love the arguments.

I'd be willing to forgo Case Closed if it's replaced with recordings of the weird therapy sessions Eric is having with Brett.

• Like 12

My main problem with Case Closed (and the whole states thing) is it just feels like forced "drumming up controversy". The argumentative tone kills its debate value, and the lopsided format neuters its value as conflict entertainment. All it seems to be trying to accomplish is to rile people up.

I'm fairly neutral on the music episodes, although I like the general idea of adding variety to the show. I just think that the variety should come in a form more directly related to improv.

I attended the live recording this past Saturday, and I will say that for the podcast they understandably did cut out the part where they looked up his fb page and the first scene of the night that followed.

The scene in question revolved around Stephanie leaving a very plain-named Matt character for a ridiculously-named Horatio character. Horatio is their next door neighbor who technically lives closer to the school Stephanie is attending. Betsy comes in later as an even more ridiculously-named character. Betsy's new to the neighborhood and is going door-to-door to have people welcome her (or something like that). Betsy lives four houses closer to the school than Horatio does, soooooo

Ha, I knew they couldn't have let that Usual Suspects/Name creating thing go missed

Keep the music, it's amazing.

Good idea to keep the case closed as the last segment, then robot warning can let people who don't like it switch off.

Vote for both to stay.

Anyway, let's not ignore the fact that this episode was fucking great. Great group, good integration of Eric and the crowd, awesome all around.

It's fun to hear Besser on the live ones because he's so used to the live experience he really seems to brighten up. That doesnt' always happen with live podcasts.

• Like 1

Yeah, I just listened to his NNF episode and they (briefly) talked about doing live podcasts and the different approaches. Interesting discussion, and it's nice to know that Matt has really put some thought into it and tries to balance the live experience and the podcast.

• Like 1

Did they sit down during this episode? I listened to that NNF ep as well and couldn't tell if Matt ended up preferring sitting down or standing up during the live I4H's