🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 163 — Eric the Paid Intern Returns: LIVE at the UCBSunset

I hope I'm not too late but I would really like the title of "Thanks Mississippi" to be changed to "Here's To The State of Mississippi", like the Phil Ochs song. If you haven't heard it you need to:

It perfectly sums up how Besser feels.

I thought it was neat hearing Betsy and Horatio together on this ep. I don't think I've heard them together before. In my mind, they occupy two completely different poles at the end of an improv spectrum. Betsy doesn't usually contribute that many new premises: she lets someone else suggest a premise and then she plays it out. Horatio, on the other hand, just throws out premises left and right without caring about consistency at all.

• Like 1

I vote the music and the case closed thing out. I fast forward and listen to the show despite it, but if you're honestly asking I think it's kind of distracting. I won't stop listening to improv4humans if you decide to keep it. It's your show. But I come for the improv and these suggestions (music, case close segments) take over the show instead letting the improv have the spotlight. I think that's why it's shutting a significant number of listeners off. Or at least enough for us to have to talk about it.

I guess you could say that for any segment on the show but for some reason the music and the debating is so much more affecting. It changes the mood of the show altogether and takes away from the lighthearted nature of the improv segments. This might be too abstract, but it takes a lot more psychological energy for me to shift gears from a love/intense/sad song or an opinion I don't agree with at all to improv.

Did they sit down during this episode? I listened to that NNF ep as well and couldn't tell if Matt ended up preferring sitting down or standing up during the live I4H's

They sit down at s table for live recordings, just like Doug Loves Movies, or CBB (but I think Scott & co sit on stools or chairs with no table). When Betsy tells Eric he can even put his drink on the table, it was because Eric was placing his drink on the floor next to his chair, picking it up for a sip, then leaning down to put it back on the floor. Meanwhile, Matt, Horatio, Betsy, and Stephanie all clearly had their drinks on the table. Hilariously awkward.

I personally don't care for the musical episodes. I could say it changes the vibe of the show or whatever, but the main issue is I have not enjoyed most of the musicians you've had on. But if musical episodes are staying, and I have a feeling they are, then for the next one you should try to get Aaron Freeman (the former Gene Ween) to come play some songs.

I'm perfectly fine with case closed but if people really have issue with it, just make it a bonus episode instead of at the end of a normal episode.

Dear Matty B,

I just wanted to respond to your questions presented on the show.

I listened to the first case closed and skipped the second one due to your warning, but it was just because I was falling asleep listening to an episode of i4h and I figured it would probably rattle me a little. That being said, I am really surprised that 1000 listeners would go away because of that segment. I have been a huge fan of yours for a long time, and it just seems like people who would react super negatively to that probably would find something else down the line to be upset about, because you definitely have a challenging and sometimes-confrontational stage persona.

As for the musical episodes, I am on the fence. I am not really into alt country or acoustic sets, and sometimes the musical episodes don't have enough improv for my taste. I am more into

"experimental" (in quotes because I mean interesting and non-dance-club focused) electronic music and lush rock arrangements. I do however completely relate to your desire to turn people on to new music that maybe they wouldn't have ever thought to listen to on their own, and share your strong distaste for unchallenging and cynical corporate pop drivel. The most recent musical episode, while I forget the artist, ended up leading to some excellent skits, and I actually did enjoy the lyrics and musical arrangements, although it's not something I would listen to on my own. That being said, keep trying, maybe I'll grow into it. Also, it's easy to skip the songs and just listen to the skits.

I just want to close this by saying that your refreshing honesty and integrity to your craft trumps any misgivings I could have about your opinions, and anybody who doesn't recognize that, either is going to be impossible to win over, or needs to just power through it and keep listening.

Keep up the amazing work,

-Miles B.

• Like 1

Ha HA! I submitted that video that they watched in this episode! Awesome! That's amazing! I loved that they had to describe it!

Saw this on HuffPost Weird News, so I'll just C & P their text:

"Jenya Bolotov is a platypus. Or at least, that's how the 26-year-old Russian designer

. 'Externally, I am now a platypus," he said. "My resemblance is the way I want it to be. It takes bravery to do what I've done and I will keep modifying my body until I am happy.'"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buzU1xH3vEE

Make sure you watch until 2:04 to see the crazy light-up shit in his face.

Totally worth it for a scene involving Horatio Sanz talking body modification - "I mean it's like owning a parrot; it's cool" "Have you seen me in the dark?" "Look at me levitate". lol.

Thanks so much for the laughs, Matt & crew! Thanks for picking it, Horatio! Loved this ep!

Matt, keep doing things exactly as you want to. Sometimes I am categorically opposed to the musicians you have on the show, and if I'm bitter about it, it's only because I don't want it to subtract from time for brilliant improv bits. But over time, you've lengthened the podcast to accommodate as such, so it's not a big deal. And yes, I just fast forward through the music. I'll admit that it was a weird choice to have David Bazan on; I loved Pedro the Lion in the 90s, but in general, the guy is a spectacular bummer. More to my point, you don't owe these detractors and whiny-ass listeners anything. You're Matt Fucking Besser. I appreciate that you're taking the time to do this podcast. I bought your book. I got goosebumps listening to the audiobook version of Amy Poehler's book when she gives you so much credit for shaping her personal and comedic identities. You're incredibly grounded. You deserve the praise and do not deserve the criticism, at least not when it comes to putting a musician you love on your own fucking podcast. Also, between us, the Sklar brothers have way shittier taste.

• Like 1

PS - maybe West Virginia should take Mississippi's place? Have you seen any of those Jamie Oliver shows? When it comes to veggies, or basically anything that's not a chicken nugget, those poor little children cannot even correctly identify a fucking potato.

I really liked the Betsy and Sanz dynamic in this one.

Keep doing what you want with the show.

In my everyday life I generally don't listen to the kind of music that's in the musical episodes, but it's solid. That style works for the show because these singer/songwriter guys put real stories and emotions into their songs, and that translates into cool scenes.

Case Closed is what it is. It'll never be a totally fair discussion or debate but it doesn't need to be. I like angry Besser scenes that come from it. The Sexy Robot Warning is all you need.

People that bitch can fast forward. It's not like holding a button down is taxing.

• Like 3

^^^ Agreed. Say what you want about the music; the scene that came out of Dave Bazan's "Big Trucks" is the best fucking thing on the planet.

• Like 2

Thanks Jacob, but I am truly curious as to why not eating the crust isn't okay?

Crust can be so good if you do something interesting with it, like stuff it or turn it into nachos.

Pizza-Hut-And-Doritos-If-You-Were-Not-Excited-About-The-New-Menu-Yet-You-Will-Be-Now-640x385.jpg

A boring crust is just a bit of a missed opportunity imo.

I liked the angry trumpet fighter segment, tend to skip past the rest of the case closeds and go straight to the improv parts at the end. I don't like listening to people argue, it frustrates me and gets me worked up which is the opposite of what I want from a comedy podcast.

I'd be willing to forgo Case Closed if it's replaced with recordings of the weird therapy sessions Eric is having with Brett.

I was thinking this at the end of the episode when Matt was talking about segments! Would love this even as a bonus episode. In general, more Brett and Eric!

In terms of the musical guests and Case Closed, I'm not a big music person. In podcasts and in life, just does little for me. So I may be a little biased against it. My only suggestion would be that they are less frequent. The past while it's seemed like nearly every other episode was a musical one, and I was especially disappointed when a music episode one week was directly followed by the "Best Of Music" episode. To clarify, I do still listen to them because the improv and the discussion of the songs are interesting, but may be less inclined to tune in to the music episodes if they maintain their level of regularity. Again, it's nothing to do with a particular type of music or musician, I'm just not into it in general.

I love Case Closed and do enjoy it even if sometimes the person up against Matt is an idiot (surely only they go up against Master Blaster). The Sexy Robot and Matt himself give plenty of warning, and I guess to those who don't like the segment feel as if they only get half of an episode when Case Closed features because it can take up so much time. I guess if people can't listen to explicit warnings then it may be best to have it as a bonus episode. While I would like it to be a podcast on its own because I like it so much, I'm not sure it would be the right move.

• Like 1

God I love this show. Matt called it the best podcast in the universe so much that I'm conditioned to really believe it these days.

And regarding music... what the fuck? People don't have a problem with them sitting there watching a YouTube video ON A PODCAST but they're annoyed with actual music? I bet the real issue here is the fact that they can't get their quirky Twitter handle read out loud by Matt when it's a musical episode.

• Like 4

Matt should make the show he wants to make. It's insanity to make case closed a different podcast. One of the key things that makes I4H interesting is the many different sources of inspiration; we've had letters from his dead dad, twitter suggestions, YouTube videos, newspaper articles, listener stories, and yes, sometimes music and debates. Even if he does lose listeners due to people not "getting" case closed or the music, eventually he will gain listeners who do like it. When I watch SNL, I know there are going to be certain recurring bits/characters that I don't like. I always hated Wiig's "Target Lady." Just didn't find it funny at all. But I still loved (and still love) SNL because even if there's stuff I don't like, there will eventually be something I do like. That's just the nature of sketch/variety shows. I4H is a sketch show, and it's increasingly becoming sort of a variety show. But it's also this cool, punk rock self-made thing that's totally Matt Besser, and I don't want him to change his vision for the show just because there's a loud group of dissenters. People just like to complain about stuff. Nobody made people listen to that free U2 album but people acted like their rights were violated. And all they did was get free music. So people will complain. It's best to ignore them (most of the time).

• Like 1

Anyway, really fun episode this week. Betsy and Horatio especially killed it.

I love the Case Closed bits, Besser being a tad obnoxious when he argues is why the arguments are so entertaining. Really wish I was there when he asked the audience why they don't like country music though.

• Like 1

Please, please, please, never change. Would you naysayers have ever asked Picasso to paint more realistically or The Beatles to quit experimenting with new styles? Comedy/podcasting is an art form and Master Blaster is the artist here.

• Like 1

Please, please, please, never change. Would you naysayers have ever asked Picasso to paint more realistically or The Beatles to quit experimenting with new styles? Comedy/podcasting is an art form and Master Blaster is the artist here.

Honestly if I could go back in time I would probably tell the Beatles that their concept for Let It Be isn't going to work.

• Like 1

Well fuck I just typed up a big post in defense of the musical segments and hit some shortcut to go back to a previous page and lost it all... I don't have the will to retype. I guess this is it. It's been a wild ride. See you on the other side. *jumps off roof*

In short, musical segments are solid and I enjoy Matt getting into the stories behind the songs and the spinning it into some improv scenes. Doesn't feel all that different from the regular episodes, tends to be more interesting than some suggestion from the internet... "do farts!"

As for the Case Closed I don't have a strong opinion either way. Wouldn't miss it if it was gone, I suppose, but I don't really object to it either.

Also, next episode, do farts.

Musical episodes should definitely not be changed at all. They're great, they've introduced me to some great new bands. If people don't like it, it's very clear that it is a musical episode up front and they can skip it.

Case closed, also something I enjoy, is something I would enjoy keeping in the episode. It's so easy to skip through the segment if you don't enjoy it. That being said, I know a lot of people don't like it and I wouldn't mind it coming out as a bonus episode labelled as Case Closed for their sake.

I just went to see Matt Besser in Vancouver do I4H last weekend. And to the great outrage of my girlfriend, during the Q&A portion Matt said how it's okay to say the N-word and then proceeded to say it. It completely ruined the night for her, and so I can see how Case Closed could put people off of the show. Which is to say that I guess I'm leaning more towards putting Case Closed in a bonus episode.

First off, thank you for coming to see me in Vancouver. I was sincerely surprised the show had that many fans there. A truly beautiful city.

I just went to see Matt Besser in Vancouver do I4H last weekend. And to the great outrage of my girlfriend, during the Q&A portion Matt said how it's okay to say the N-word and then proceeded to say it. It completely ruined the night for her, and so I can see how Case Closed could put people off of the show. Which is to say that I guess I'm leaning more towards putting Case Closed in a bonus episode.

In the context of a discussion about a word I can't use the word? Then why wasn't she outraged that I also used the words "cunt" "faggot" and "retard" in the same discussion? I'd love for someone to make me a list of the words that can never get said and possibly rank them. I'm not even kidding. I've always been facinated by this concept that some words can't be uttered in any context. In this case the lecture hall on a college campus where just such discussions were meant to be had.

• Like 4

I actually like the case closed, but would like it even better as its own podcast. I enjoy funny stories and improv, and I enjoy the confrontation, but the mood I'm in that makes me want to listen to one and the other are often pretty different, which is probably part of why i4h eps often pile up in my podcast list, because I have to wait until the two moods coincide... I guess what I'm saying is in my world, i4h and c/c are two great tastes that don't always go great together.