🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 163 — Eric the Paid Intern Returns: LIVE at the UCBSunset

First off, thank you for coming to see me in Vancouver. I was sincerely surprised the show had that many fans there. A truly beautiful city. I

It was very fun and we hope you come back.

In terms of being outraged (Is anyone grievously offended by "cunt"?) at just the n-word, it's because racial sensitivity is what matters to her on a personal level. I understand you were emphasizing context, however she found the context of a white person confidently announcing to a room of mostly white people that it is okay problematic. There were some other things, but these are discussions better left for Case Closed, I just thought I would share that I could see Case Closed doing well in a bonus episode. I think the two sides have validity: it's silly to just never be able to say a word, and why can't white people just recognize the vile origins of this word and let it go. Personally, I just avoid it altogether because there is nothing to gain by saying it and plenty to lose.

• Like 2

I think the only problem with the "Case Closed" segments is that it detracts from the entire purpose of the show... improv. On average, episodes with "Case Closed" segments have less scenes because those segments tend to run long. I would enjoy them on a separate episode or podcast, but they seem to distract from what makes the show great. I said, when I got the sense that "Case Closed" was becoming a regular fuxture on the show, that Besser should have a separate podcast for this. Not necessarily because it doesn't belong on the show, but because I could see myself listening to an entire hour of Matt Besser calling people on their bullshit. Also, and maybe this is just my assumption, it's a little excluding of the performers who are on the show. They just kind of turn into a live studio audience at that point. I know it does, eventually lead to improv, but, if it remains part of improve4humans, maybe there should be a time limit to how long those debates run, so we can get back to the heart of the show.

The music segments, on the other hand, for me, are comedy gold. They never seem to fail to inspire a great scene. They're short, entertaining, and always lead to some great improv.

Oh, and do more video podcasts! It's been TOO long!

• Like 2

It's like that Louis CK bit. If you're going to say "the n-word" just say the actual n-word. You're hearing the real word in your head, so what's being protected, really? Having to also hear it with your ears? I don't get it.

• Like 1

I have to say that as far as the music episodes go, the Hallelujah The Hills episodes was not only freaking amazing music wise, but one of your funniest episodes. How the hell someone can complain about it is beyond me. Also, I love how the woman said that you would have no idea who she listens to, when I had never heard of any of the bands/musicians you have had on. You got me hooked on several of the artists that have appeared on your show, and would love to see this staying in the mix.

I'm fine with Case Closed. It's dragged out at times, like some people have said, but that would be my only complaint.

As writer of probably the longest and most controversial Case Closed post (and it was only ~1000 words, so the same length as an average newspaper article), I'm asking please, please, please keep doing Case Closed. It's unique, risky, and compelling. It elevates the podcast from just great, hilarious entertainment to meaningful, challenging art. I mean the Gun Control episode is maybe the most "important" work of comedy or podcasting that I've ever heard. Without stuff like Case Closed (and the music episodes too), Improv4Humans would just be a very good comedy podcast among many other similar comedy podcasts.

Case Closed, to me at least, is about confronting important things that matter to us and being honest and vocal about it. We sometimes strongly disagree with the opinions you express in the segment and you get blowback in the forums, but I think that's a good sign, not a bad one. When there's a big reaction in the forums, that means we're passionate about the topic and we're engaged in the podcast, you've connected with us the audience in a powerful way and created a community of people who want to connect and share their thoughts/feelings/opinions/experiences with each other, and you. So when we keep the argument going in the comments and you get mad and tell us to not listen to the Case Closed segments if we're going to get riled up, I feel like you're misunderstanding its appeal. It's good because it riles us up, riles everyone up--you, the caller, and the listeners, all of us. That's what's so cool and different about it.

Most importantly though, it consistently leads to great scenes. Please keep Case Closed.

• Like 2

Okay how about this...we keep Case Closed but always make sure it is 1) at the end of an episode 2) there has already been at least 1 hour of show 3) robot warning is given for CC haters. 4) Won't do CC more than once a month if that

What I'd like is humons to know that 1) CC will never be fair like a Presidential debate because Master Blaster runs barter town 2) Matty B is humon too. If you prick me I bleed. So please if I'm going to hang out here don't just jerk my chain to jerk my chain. Let's have the CC's occur organically.

• Like 7