🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
dlo burns

Terminator: Genisys (2015)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62E4FJTwSuc

"Oh this doesn't look too bad, atleast they're finally using laser guns now. Maybe this Alternate Timelyne won't be too stupid"

*later*

"Wait, did they just rip that bus scene off from ..."

JUMP THOUGH THE CHOPPAH

*head explodes*

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

I'm hoping that 1) this will actually produce the level of insanity promised in this trailer 2) we could get an in-theaters podcast with this one.

• Like 1

I'm hoping that 1) this will actually produce the level of insanity promised in this trailer 2) we could get an in-theaters podcast with this one.

Agreed. This is going to be terrible, but damn if I don't like looking at a good train wreck.

• Like 1

This trailer just reminds me of how angry I was when they cancelled Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Actually, I'm still pretty angry about it. Angry and bitter. Also Genisys is a stupid title. Stupid! Did I mention my anger?

• Like 2

This doesn't look as bad as the force awakens. I was pissed right off when I watched that this weekend. MInd you I was really upset and not in a happy place. but I just did not feel the force or love in that trailer.

This doesn't look as bad as the force awakens. I was pissed right off when I watched that this weekend. MInd you I was really upset and not in a happy place. but I just did not feel the force or love in that trailer.

Really? Whatever one might think of the prospect of a new Star Wars movie, the trailer is at least pleasing aesthetically. The CGI in this thing looks worse than the CGI in Judgement Day, a movie that is now 23 years old. That shot of Arnold and his robot hand? Oof.

• Like 1

Really? Whatever one might think of the prospect of a new Star Wars movie, the trailer is at least pleasing aesthetically. The CGI in this thing looks worse than the CGI in Judgement Day, a movie that is now 23 years old. That shot of Arnold and his robot hand? Oof.

Ohh i haven't started to voice my feelings about this peace of shit, I just haven't taken it all in yet. I only got to watch the trailer last night. there is a lot of moments that make you think, did I just see that. Yep i did notice the CGI hand.

so we can all chew at that. I got upset about T-Genisys as soon as I seen the entertainment weekly cover with matt smith in it.

I got upset about T-Genisys as soon as I seen the entertainment weekly cover with matt smith in it.

there is pretty much zero Matt Smith

• Like 1

Well, that seals it for me. If you're going to put The Doctor in a Terminator movie, at least use him!

• Like 2

Well, that seals it for me. If you're going to put The Doctor in a Terminator movie, at least use him!

He was supposedly briefly brought into this movie to set up the character for future sequels, ala Marvel.

• Like 1

Him and jason mantzoukas got cut out of this movie...

matt-smith-terminator.jpg

I hate remakes, I just got done watching poltergeist remake, and it's was complately unnecessary.

• Like 1

Actually liked this one in comparison to the last one, as even they admitted that their canon for time travel was meaningless at this point. There were nice subtle callbacks to the first two movies and I felt they did a fairly good job of recreating the scenes from the first movie, though I would have liked it if they went with the original idea to put in the original scene featuring Bill Paxton and then lead to the fight between the two Arnolds, but the scene they shot was still pretty well done. And with how Terminator 3 played up the angle of "Judgment Day is inevitable" I am interested to see where the sequels go now that gigantic portions of the Terminator storyline have been changed.

I didn't like that they gave away the biggest twist concerning John Connor in all of the trailers and posters, as I felt if they kept that quiet it would have been a great reveal in the movie. Also, I get why they didn't bring back Paxton, but I don't get why they didn't bring back Joe Morton to play Miles Dyson, replacing him with Courtney B. Vance. Morton would have worked with the timeline they were creating but for some reason they switched him out. My biggest gripe is probably that Jai Courtney is so vanilla as an action star, especially a character like Kyle Reese. I would have liked for Anton Yelchin to come back since he did a good job in the last movie, but Courtney is the new Scott Speedman, a guy that Hollywood has tried to make the next big action star but he is just so bland that they can't do anything with him.

• Like 1

I like Emilia Clarke as Sarah Conner and I generally do like Jai Courtney, but I sort of feel like his kind of muscular badassery takes away from the sinewy, "living by the skin of his teeth" desperation that Kyle Reese had in the original. This is in opposition to another post-Apocalypse hero, Mad Max, who looks like he has to spend 500 calories for every 501 calories he eats. Michael Biehn was perfect as Reese and you totally buy that it would be impossible for him to really defeat a killer robot that looks like Arnold, but he would try his damndest anyway.

• Like 1

I like Emilia Clarke as Sarah Conner and I generally do like Jai Courtney, but I sort of feel like his kind of muscular badassery takes away from the sinewy, "living by the skin of his teeth" desperation that Kyle Reese had in the original. This is in opposition to another post-Apocalypse hero, Mad Max, who looks like he has to spend 500 calories for every 501 calories he eats. Michael Biehn was perfect as Reese and you totally buy that it would be impossible for him to really defeat a killer robot that looks like Arnold, but he would try his damndest anyway.

I don't think I'd ever seen any of his other films in their entirety, or at least didn't know he was in them, so he never really stood out to me, but I did think that Jai Courtney did fine here, and I don't think the differences between him and Biehn were AS apparent because of the twists that the story took. He's a bigger dude and looks more like an action hero, but he was fighting alongside a BIGGER dude and wasn't fighting the same kind of enemy.

I think I remember hearing the stories about the first Terminator where some people were opposed to Arnold's casting, at least in that role, because the general consensus was "Look at the guy. OF COURSE he can murder you". I liked the idea in the second one that the smaller guy that could literally blend in anywhere was the threat, that the walking tank was suddenly at a disadvantage, and I guess that wouldn't have been possible and that it wouldn't have been AS interesting of a dynamic if they hadn't gone the more traditional David & Goliath route in the first place.

Holy shit though, does anyone else remember the reveal in T2 though that Arnold was the good guy? They kept it well hidden in the marketing and stuff so that it was more like an actual plot twist. That blew my 13-year-old mind right out of the back of my mind!

• Like 1

I feel like the tagline for this movie in all marketing materials should have simply been, 'There's no way this is as bad as that last one'.

• Like 1

Holy shit though, does anyone else remember the reveal in T2 though that Arnold was the good guy? They kept it well hidden in the marketing and stuff so that it was more like an actual plot twist. That blew my 13-year-old mind right out of the back of my mind!

And that's the issue I have with today's marketing, they are too afraid to keep anything secret in the hopes of losing any kind of movie goer. By the week before the premier we know who will be doing a cameo in the next Marvel movie, or what the big fight scene will be. Hell even movies like Quarantine and Fast 6 showed the actual endings of their movies in their fucking trailers.

Look at movies like the first Jurassic Park and the Broderick Godzilla, you never really saw the whole dinosaur, which created such interest in those movies. I'm surprised that Jurassic World didn't show the Indominus Rex in the trailers until after it was released, though they did like Godzilla did and released an early art shot about a week before the movie came out. I honestly believe that the John Connor twist would have been as amazing as seeing Arnold be the good guy in T2, if only they didn't put it in every piece of fucking promotional material.

• Like 1

And that's the issue I have with today's marketing, they are too afraid to keep anything secret in the hopes of losing any kind of movie goer. By the week before the premier we know who will be doing a cameo in the next Marvel movie, or what the big fight scene will be. Hell even movies like Quarantine and Fast 6 showed the actual endings of their movies in their fucking trailers.

Look at movies like the first Jurassic Park and the Broderick Godzilla, you never really saw the whole dinosaur, which created such interest in those movies. I'm surprised that Jurassic World didn't show the Indominus Rex in the trailers until after it was released, though they did like Godzilla did and released an early art shot about a week before the movie came out. I honestly believe that the John Connor twist would have been as amazing as seeing Arnold be the good guy in T2, if only they didn't put it in every piece of fucking promotional material.

Actually, with the first Jurassic Park, they pretty much DID spoil a lot of the dinosaur stuff before the movie came out, as that was one of the movies where I specifically remember there being a lot of "making of" specials and things before the film came out. you'd usually see those things afterwards. I didn't really even care for the movie at the time, and while it looked great, a lot of the wonder was taken out of it already, so that didn't even really do it for me. I think that later on with "Godzilla", the teasing was good, but people were so disappointed with the final reveal, and studios wrongfully took that as a sign that maybe audiences didn't want to be surprised, when all it really was was failure to deliver on sky-high expectations that the marketing created. If the campaign was the same, but Godzilla looked like Godzilla, THAT part could have been great. As it stands though, people hated the monster, and the movie built around it just happened to be pretty shitty, which didn't help. I wonder though, in this day and age, how much lack of communication plays into things being revealed in trailers and stuff. Usually, the people making the trailers are working with what they're given, and if what they're given is the most spoilery stuff, it's hardly their fault. Maybe the people giving them the material shouldn't give them the final shot of the film if they're not supposed to USE the final shot of the film, right? Maybe nowadays though, they just go "Fuck it, so much information has been leaked anyway, what's it gonna hurt?".

Speaking of giant monster movies, does anyone remember when some people were upset to find out that "Cloverfield" was pretty much JUST a giant monster movie? I kind of feel sorry for Abrams in that it seems like because his biggest success was so shrouded in mysteries, and because the marketing of his other projects start off as being very mysterious, people take it to mean that everything has to mean something that we're just not being told about. I'm glad that he doesn't play into that so much though, and I'd like to see what would happen if he just decided to do a by-the-numbers romantic comedy one day.

Cloverfield may be the most recent along with the last Godzilla where they tried to go back to a bit of mystery in what was being released. I remember seeing the Cloverfield trailer before the first Transformers and checking that site every once in a while trying to understand what the pictures were all about. Though I do remember the theories being everything from a Lost movie to a Voltron movie, especially after that weird site for Slusho where you made a robot out of the drink was attached to the promotion for the movie. Then Godzilla (2014) did a similar thing where you didn't see the monster except pieces of its tail, yet then you had people complaining that it looked too big, so no one can be happy with anything.

Bumping this.

I just realized how bad this was when I read BoxOfficeMojo today. They mentioned Pixels' super shitty $24M domestic opening amid all of Adam Sandler's decline as a box office draw and awful, toxic, ultra-shitty reviews... and then point out that Terminator only made $27M when it came out earlier in the month, lol. It only mustered $3M more! They also took note to remind us all that it landed in third behind Inside Out and Jurassic World in their third and fourth weeks out, respectively. Terminator Genisys is in the same league as Pixels, you guys.

I need to hear the HDTGM crew try and wrap their brains around this sad, soulless, shit-show of a Terminator movie.

Terminator Genisys is in the same league as Pixels, you guys.

Performance-wise, absolutely not. "Terminator" was a midweek release, having come out on a Wednesday. It was already heading into the weekend with 15 million in the tank, so the first weekend comparisons aren't really comparable.

Anyway, Arnold's popularity as an action lead has nose-dived since he's been working more regularly, and the "Terminator" franchise is also coming off of a lackluster showing its last time out, as "Salvation" did okay, but was pretty poorly received. The box office take of the series has been all downhill since the second one, and if anything, I'd say that "Genisys" has done better than would have been expected overall, but in a completely unspectacular way. It might be an interesting one to talk about as a film, but it's not the same kind of dud that "Pixels" appears to be.

Just watched this. It's not good, but I don't think its got enough meat on the bone for a HDTGM. It's just a shitty reboot attempt of a franchise. I would say this is just a bad movie, not a so bad it's good movie. Just another sub-par action flick.

• Like 1

I didn't mind it at all, but i did question some Nitpicky moments. SPOILERS AHEAD

so when "POPs" sets it up so they can travel to the future, 2017. time travel, wasn't that hard to figure out after all. he can't travel with Kyle & Sarah because he's got missing skin, that has to re-grow. so as he's is waiting for 2017 to happen. why doesn't he get smart and buy stock in the company "Genisys" and sell it short so they can't grow as fast as company. that would of made it easyer. plus he was working for the company Sega Genisys building this super reactor why doesn't he take the time to plant C4 in the walls as they are clearly going to someday need to blow it up.

So one thing I noticed that I've seen in millions of movies but never really known why. I don't know anything about guns and ammo here. but why is it that "Pops" didn't do any prep work. he clearly had a lot of time on his hands. why is it that every time in movies they have to have a scene showing them per-loading the gun bullets into the gun magazines. is there some reason for this or is this a movie. You can't do that years in advance?

I didn't think it was the best of the terminator movies but it was good. still not happy about skin getting old on terminators but what ever.

I think with the guns, and I myself am not an expert, but there is a theory that if a magazine is loaded and left unused for a long period of time, in this case decades, the spring would lose tension and the gun would jam up. As for putting C4 in the walls while they build the headquarters, I think it would be more dangerous to do so as how would you arm the explosive, it couldn't be timed so it would have to be remote detonation, which could cause the explosive to go off prematurely if someone were to accidentally use the same frequency, whether it be from a cell phone, radio receiver, etc.

The thing is, the original T2 trailer totally does spoil that Arnold is the good guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eajuMYNYtuY

Sign in to follow this