🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 166 — Deranged Penguin

Jon Gabrus, Betsy Sodaro, Eugene Cordero, and Stephanie Allynne are back in part two of a trilogy in which they explore narrative improv following the same characters who live in the same apartment building on today’s improv4humans with Matt Besser! They’ll also practice safe jacket rolling, taste the drink of Milfs, and follow a stand-up as they develop their dead penguin material. Make sure to get the Upright Citizens Brigade television show season 3 now available on DVD, the UCB Comedy Improv Manual, and Dragoon’s new album at dragoongalaxy.bandcamp.com!

• Like 1

I feel so dumb I didn't get that they were doing a narrative premise last time

• Like 2

Damn, yet another amazing episode. The book sketch reminded me of something I meant to ask Matt awhile ago. If I'm remembering correctly Matt you said in a previous episode (maybe in an audible ad?) that you're really into post-apocalyptic fiction. It's probably my favorite genre as well so I was wondering if you have any recommendations for post-apocalyptic books I might have missed. Here's some of my favorites:

- A Canticle For Liebowitz (this list isn't ranked but this is the best, hands down)

- Alas, Babylon

- The Passage / The Twelve

- On The Beach

- I Am Legend

- The Drowned World

- The Stand

- The Postman

- Swan Song

- The World Without Us (non fiction)

- The Road

- WOOL series

- The Dog Stars

- The Handmaid's Tale

- The Earth Abides

- Day Of The Triffids

- Eternity Road

I'd love to hear about any others that are worth my time. Cheers.

Is this when we first hear of Stephanie Allyne's puppy Jimmy Stewart character or is this when we find out Stephanie doesn't know what a dog's bark sounds like?

Matt you're spoiling us with two (THREE?!) straight episodes with this group. Holy crap, what a great pair of episodes.

Damn, yet another amazing episode. The book sketch reminded me of something I meant to ask Matt awhile ago. If I'm remembering correctly Matt you said in a previous episode (maybe in an audible ad?) that you're really into post-apocalyptic fiction. It's probably my favorite genre as well so I was wondering if you have any recommendations for post-apocalyptic books I might have missed. Here's some of my favorites:

- A Canticle For Liebowitz (this list isn't ranked but this is the best, hands down)

- Alas, Babylon

- The Passage / The Twelve

- On The Beach

- I Am Legend

- The Drowned World

- The Stand

- The Postman

- Swan Song

- The World Without Us (non fiction)

- The Road

- WOOL series

- The Dog Stars

- The Handmaid's Tale

- The Earth Abides

- Day Of The Triffids

- Eternity Road

I'd love to hear about any others that are worth my time. Cheers.

Canticle is definitely top 5.

WOOL will hopefully be a movie some day soon.

I've read all your list except The 12. I haven't heard of it. Will have to look it up.

I hate the Road.

Margaret Atwood's recent trilogy starting with Oryx & Crake is top of the genre. Would make a great tv show!

Here are some other classics...

Farnham's Freehold

Damnation Alley

The Afterblight Chronicles

Mockingbird

Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang

On Wings of Song

Emprise

Dome

Greybeard

Aftermath

The Late Great Planet Earth

Riddley Walker

Lucifer's Hammer

Z for Zachariah

Wolf & Iron

Make Room, Make Room

In the Drift

Plague Year

Dayworld

The Pesthouse

*some of these are maybe more dystopian than PA but those two genres often intersect

• Like 4

Canticle is definitely top 5.

WOOL will hopefully be a movie some day soon.

I've read all your list except The 12. I haven't heard of it. Will have to look it up.

I hate the Road.

Margaret Atwood's recent trilogy starting with Oryx & Crake is top of the genre. Would make a great tv show!

Here are some other classics...

Farnham's Freehold

Damnation Alley

The Afterblight Chronicles

Mockingbird

Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang

On Wings of Song

Emprise

Dome

Greybeard

Aftermath

The Late Great Planet Earth

Riddley Walker

Lucifer's Hammer

Z for Zachariah

Wolf & Iron

Make Room, Make Room

In the Drift

Plague Year

Dayworld

The Pesthouse

*some of these are maybe more dystopian than PA but those two genres often intersect

Hot damn this is exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks a bunch. It's nice to get recommendations from a connoisseur of the genre because it's hard to sort through what's worth reading and what isn't when you get down to some of the lesser known or less celebrated entries in the genre.

I have read a few you mentioned such as Lucifer's Hammer (can't believe I left that great book off my list despite the scene where the dude surfs a tsunami) and the MaddAddam Trilogy. Speaking of that series you mentioned it'd make a great TV show and you probably already know this but in case you don't Darren Aronofsky is currently developing it as a show for HBO. I'm expecting great things. He's not my favorite director but I think his sensibilities could really work with that story and being on HBO should allow it to stay true to Atwood's vision. Can't wait!

The Passage / The Twelve are the first two books in a planned three part series. The Stand + I Am Legend is a decent way to describe it although it doesn't fully do it justice. Be warned the first book has a long section at the start that is pre-apocalyptic. It serves to setup the rest of the series but I've heard of people who found it boring and didn't stick around long enough to get to the full on end of the world where the real fun begins.

Anyways thanks again, I'll start working my way down the list as soon as I'm done with the Book Of The Sun series I'm currently reading. It's not quite post-apocalyptic but it's pretty close and is a spectacular series so far.

• Like 1

I loved Gabrus's idea of Matt telling the same prom story with a bunch of different groups of improvisers, and then cutting together the resulting scenes to form one big episode. I just love the idea of different people starting with the same inspiration and seeing the different directions each group takes it. I think Sean Conroy told the same story on two episodes of I4H (months apart from each other), and the resulting scenes were both great, but in different ways.

Also, the titular scene was hilarious. I laughed so hard I cried.

• Like 6

I loved Gabrus idea of Matt telling the same prom story with a bunch of different groups of improvisers, and then cutting together the resulting scenes to form one big episode. I just love the idea of different people starting with the same inspiration and seeing the different directions each group takes it. I think Sean Conroy told the same story on two episodes of I4H (months apart from each other), and the resulting scenes were both great, but in different ways.

I also love that idea. It'd be great to hear at least three different scenes based on the same story.

• Like 1

Awesome episode. The narrative seemed a lot less forced and free flowing this episode. Can't wait for part III.

I also love that idea. It'd be great to hear at least three different scenes based on the same story.

This isn't the same thing, but there have been 3 different scenes Besser initiated in almost the exact same way (kids in trouble at school for wearing disruptive clothes):

Episode 22 (Fart Scientist) with Andy Daly dressing as a cave man and revealing he lives in a cave

Episode 57 (The Front of the Shoe is White Rubber) where every student in school has a nickname derived from Chuck Taylor sneakers

Episode 84 (Double or Nothing) with Todd Glass wearing an "I Love Pussy" t-shirt

All three of these scenes were hilarious in their own ways. I'd be perfectly cool with the same setup finding its way into another episode one of these days.

This isn't the same thing, but there have been 3 different scenes Besser initiated in almost the exact same way (kids in trouble at school for wearing disruptive clothes):

Episode 22 (Fart Scientist) with Andy Daly dressing as a cave man and revealing he lives in a cave

Episode 57 (The Front of the Shoe is White Rubber) where every student in school has a nickname derived from Chuck Taylor sneakers

Episode 84 (Double or Nothing) with Todd Glass wearing an "I Love Pussy" t-shirt

Damn dude, do you remember every scene from every episode?

• Like 1

Damn dude, do you remember every scene from every episode?

Nope. Those scenes just happened to stick out to me for some reason. *shrug*

Sign in to follow this