🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode BO2014.2 — Best of 2014 Pt 2

Merry Christmas to you all! The best of Comedy Bang! Bang! countdown 2014 continues with Scott and special guest Paul F. Tompkins as they count down numbers eleven through eight of the best episodes YOU voted for! Come back Monday for Pt 3!

No one in the history of humanity, aside from Scott and his weird parents, has ever said "all of the sudden."

Never.

• Like 19

I've heard Scott talk about how creepy and gross Steely Dan is in the past, and I thought it was kind of a bit. But after hearing the analysis of Hey Nineteen, I thought I was listening to an episode of U Talkin' U2 To Me because of the detailed thought process behind the music.

Does Scott not understand that the lyrics of Steely Dan are typically ironic? Hey Nineteen derides the coke-snorting tequila-swilling tactics of men who sleep with teenagers with whom they cannot connect. Certainly, as famous musicians, they had roadies and such round up teenaged strangers for heroin-fueled sex parties, but I cannot stand by and hear the greatest lyricists of our time belittled in such a way.

Most of their songs are depressing and dark, but presented in a happy pop sort of way. 'Charlie Freak', an uptempo song about a man selling his prized ring in order to buy more heroin, and subsequently overdose, is a great example of this. 'Glamour Profession' is another peppy song about a successful drug importer in the seventies.

So yeah, there's a through line of drugs and depravity but it's all an ironic reflection of our superficial consumer society. I'd think the creator of CBB would appreciate the fun of this band. Although I have to agree that winning a grammy for Two Against Nature was a joke, it was easily the least of their albums.

• Like 4

Happy holiday! You know the one.

I presume Garry Marshall did not tell Paul to please call him Garry since Paul's head is not exploded at present.

• Like 1

I've heard Scott talk about how creepy and gross Steely Dan is in the past, and I thought it was kind of a bit. But after hearing the analysis of Hey Nineteen, I thought I was listening to an episode of U Talkin' U2 To Me because of the detailed thought process behind the music.

Does Scott not understand that the lyrics of Steely Dan are typically ironic? Hey Nineteen derides the coke-snorting tequila-swilling tactics of men who sleep with teenagers with whom they cannot connect. Certainly, as famous musicians, they had roadies and such round up teenaged strangers for heroin-fueled sex parties, but I cannot stand by and hear the greatest lyricists of our time belittled in such a way.

Most of their songs are depressing and dark, but presented in a happy pop sort of way. 'Charlie Freak', an uptempo song about a man selling his prized ring in order to buy more heroin, and subsequently overdose, is a great example of this. 'Glamour Profession' is another peppy song about a successful drug importer in the seventies.

So yeah, there's a through line of drugs and depravity but it's all an ironic reflection of our superficial consumer society. I'd think the creator of CBB would appreciate the fun of this band. Although I have to agree that winning a grammy for Two Against Nature was a joke, it was easily the least of their albums.

Merry Christmas!

• Like 11

Am I the only one who just doesn't find Claudia O'Doherty funny?

Now I'm at Hollywild... I die every time I hear the Gavin McLeod bit.

• Like 3

Merry Christmas everybody! This is a great way to spend the rest of my morning, so thank you Scotty and Pauly and the whole Earwolf family for this gift.

• Like 1

"Alright, this is where I get off this bit bus."

That Claudia/R. Shrift clip, and Paul's delight at it, was fantastic.

• Like 2

I presume Garry Marshall did not tell Paul to please call him Garry since Paul's head is not exploded at present.

When they were introduced, do you think Paul said "Nice to meet you, Mr. Marshall", just to set the bait?

• Like 2

In regards to Steely Dan, I do think they realized they were disgusting since they are named after a giant dildo from Naked Lunch.

• Like 2

"Alright, this is where I get off this bit bus."

That Claudia/R. Shrift clip, and Paul's delight at it, was fantastic.

That's the last I'll see of you, ya rubbish burgla!

• Like 4

I just want to point out that Scott said they were presenting a baker's dozen of episodes at the top of the episode and now I have no idea what Scott's definition of a baker's dozen is. 11? Does he think that a baker's dozen is because bakers are all jerks and will only give you 11 instead of a dozen?

• Like 3

I fall for the "lycan" thing every time. I mean... PFT must know why they're called that, right? Every time it makes me wanna yell at the recording, and I'm like, "Dammit, fell for it again."

Sorta like Scott not knowing the difference between "Roma" and "Romanian."

Damn smart famous people pretending to be dumb.

• Like 1

that sounds like a bunch of Pretzel Logic to me... a "Royal Scam", if you will.

like Sean said on this week's HH, they were named after a dildo.

• Like 2

Look at this raw animal magnetism.

HukgiGj.jpg

Could anyone make out what Paul was saying this episode? Scott's voice was totally clear, but Paul's was swamped with festive white noise.

I dunno. Guess I couldn't hear him over that loud tie.

*ba-dum tsssss*

steering the conversation back to Steely Dan as quickly as possible here...

would it be safe to assume that Donald Fagen and Walter Becker are contenders for the biggest creep(s) in the world?

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this