🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 100 — Junior

Ivan Reitman directed Junior. His son Jason Reitman directed Juno. Both movies about pregnancy. Schwarzenegger has a history of illegitimate pregnancies. June and Paul's child was fathered by Schwarzenegger. I'm sorry to break it to you this way Paul, but the unrelated, coincidental facts are irrefutable. Your baby hates Lou Ferrigno.

• Like 7

I'm also unashamed to admit that, like Jason and June, a tear or two were shed when DeVito's (ex)wife had her baby. in an otherwise absurd movie, it was a poignant scene that I was definitely not expecting... something about his sincerity in that moment made it very powerful.

Did anybody else notice who the singer was at the pharmaceutical rep party? That was Cassandra Wilson--one of the best modern jazz vocalists in the world. Why is she in this movie?

Judy Collins was in this movie, too, wasn't she? Or maybe she was in Twins. Either way, it seems to me the casting director has a real soft spot for female jazz/sub-jazz vocalists, and I won't throw rocks at him for that.

From what I can tell you based on playing a Pfizer rep-in-training in the Jake Gyllenhaal film "Love and Other Drugs", those conventions are...I don't know what they are. I just wanted to shamelessly mention my film career again. I can be seen over Jake's shoulder a few times in the training montage, and then the film is dead to me. I'll next be sort of seen (I better be seen, I'm a fucking judge at ringside) in ANOTHER Jake Gyllenhaal flick, "Southpaw", directed by Antoine Fuqua, coming to a theater near you in 2015!

• Like 1

As not good as this movie is, I still have to give it credit for crafting a more terrifying birthing-nightmare scene than when Gena Davis gives birth to that maggot thing in The Fly. I will never get the image of Arnold-Face-Baby out of my mind...

• Like 2

They use the song "I've Got You Under My Skin" several times in the film. Is this a clever little reference to pregnancy? That's so upsetting. I have a baby under my skin?

I think this goes towards explaining where exactly Devito implanted the baby. From what I understood of the movie, the egg was inserted into Arnold's abdomen just under the skin. I thought the idea was that thanks to the drug, this would be a supportive environment for the embryo just long enough for the effects to be observed. Kind of like how scientists in the real world have genetically engineered human ears by growing them on lab mice. What this doesn't explain however is how the fetus didn't rupture his skin as soon as it was as big as, say, a golf ball let alone an infant.

But yes, I believe that was the significance of "Under My Skin" and yes it is gross and nonsensical.

• Like 1

I was also happy and a little sad to see recently deceased comedian John Pinette who appeared in this film as the fat salesman at the big & tall store. He's also in the Dennis Rodman/Dane Cook action movie SIMON SEZ, which will probably be covered on this show at some point, as a comic relief monk. Such a funny guy. RIP

Classic Pinette: Buffets

https://www.youtube....h?v=vAkXPpBnSkM

• Like 3

This is my memory of this movie.

I was like 11 year old and to me Schwarzenegger was the funny guy from such films as Twins, Kindergarten Cop and Last Action Hero. I saw the trailer and thought Junior looked funny. How could it not? I asked my parents to take me to see it. They said no so I waited for it to get to the video store. I remember running to new release "J" every time we went to check if it was in. Then it finally came in. I begged and pleaded for my parents to rent it. Finally I pulled out my trump card, "Mom, remember how funny Dad thought Twins was? It's the same guys!" Hook, line and sinker she rented it. Got home, waited for dinner and then finally it was movie time. After about 15 minutes of being bored and confused I get up and go to my room to read. Cut to twenty years later I hear the mini-sode that Junior is next. I track down the movie and start to watch it. Suddenly awash in the sadness of a crestfallen 11 year old, and turn it off and decide just listening to the episode will be enough.

• Like 5

I believe June was referring to Thomas Beatie when she was talking about Arnold being born a woman first. Remember the "pregnant man" from about 5 years ago who was born a woman and then went through the hormone therapy to identify as a man.

I'm surprised they were so baffled by how a kid could exist in Schwarzenegger. I mean, there was that story about that one freaky dude who got pregnant for whatever reason (just to prove he could do it?). I mean, I don't care to look it up, but it was a huge story for awhile - I'm pretty sure that would be your no.1 thing to go Google before coming in on the podcast, yeah? Just answer all your questions.

Paul's right though; should've just been some "magical realism" situation. Just needs a flying horse, like that masterclass in Magical Realism, the classic Winter's Tale :)

The guy's name was Thomas Beatie, btw.

I believe June was referring to Thomas Beatie when she was talking about Arnold being born a woman first. Remember the "pregnant man" from about 5 years ago who was born a woman and then went through the hormone therapy to identify as a man.

I was hoping Jason would ask if June meant he was a side-by-side.

• Like 4

The most enjoyable thing about this episode, was clearly manufactured. I'm talking about 'milky tits', but it's very forced. It's like they knew this episode wasn't going to get out of first gear, and they were going to have introduce 'a bit' halfway through.

June did not set it up correctly, and it was clearly a 'setup', yet both Jason and Paul still immediately played upon a flubbed non-setup for the 'milky tits' thing? It was quite scripted and forced.

I know our favorite trio has a lot on their plate. Maybe dial it back to once a month, or just let the podcast rest for a while until they have the time or interest to return to it as invested as they were in earlier episodes?

Edit: I think this might be the last cast for a while. Wolfpop and things considered. Pauls 'sign-off' to the crew...

Hey, Paul, the people you were thanking weren't 'letting' you do the podcast. They were HELPING you do the podcast. Ungh, that sign-off was weird.

nrkist, I don't understand your issue. Are you suggesting that three comedians who have been personal and professional partners for many years had the temerity to work out the basics of a comedic exchange before performing? Or are you just mad the bit didn't go off as you might have liked? I didn't get the impression of a distinct pre-worked routine, nor did it feel as if something was "flubbed." Your chagrin confuses me since this episode brought me nothing but smiles and rainbows.

• Like 10

Quasar Sniffer, I too have no idea what nrkist is going on about. I read his thoughts, my brow furrowed, then chalked it up to Paul encouraging listeners to complain on the boards.

• Like 11

I'm surprised they were so baffled by how a kid could exist in Schwarzenegger. I mean, there was that story about that one freaky dude who got pregnant for whatever reason (just to prove he could do it?). I mean, I don't care to look it up, but it was a huge story for awhile - I'm pretty sure that would be your no.1 thing to go Google before coming in on the podcast, yeah? Just answer all your questions.

Paul's right though; should've just been some "magical realism" situation. Just needs a flying horse, like that masterclass in Magical Realism, the classic Winter's Tale :)

The guy's name was Thomas Beatie, btw.

The difference being Beatie was born a woman (only later transitioning to a male) and therefore had a uterus that could carry & nurture a baby in the first place.

• Like 6

The most enjoyable thing about this episode, was clearly manufactured. I'm talking about 'milky tits', but it's very forced. It's like they knew this episode wasn't going to get out of first gear, and they were going to have introduce 'a bit' halfway through.

June did not set it up correctly, and it was clearly a 'setup', yet both Jason and Paul still immediately played upon a flubbed non-setup for the 'milky tits' thing? It was quite scripted and forced.

I know our favorite trio has a lot on their plate. Maybe dial it back to once a month, or just let the podcast rest for a while until they have the time or interest to return to it as invested as they were in earlier episodes?

Edit: I think this might be the last cast for a while. Wolfpop and things considered. Pauls 'sign-off' to the crew...

Hey, Paul, the people you were thanking weren't 'letting' you do the podcast. They were HELPING you do the podcast. Ungh, that sign-off was weird.

7rAhetl.gif

• Like 13

New & Improved version...

The original one was perfect, no need to fix it. just add how did this get made to it as a caption. and it's spot on funny on so many levels. let alone Paul and June in the photo are white and the child is Jason so who's the daddy. like i said it's funny on more levels then one.

not sure how nick cage would make this film better yet. but I am dying to know.

• Like 1

I can't believe the most upsetting moment of any HDTGM movie was not discussed during this podcast: the nightmare sequence when a baby with Arnold's face is screaming. Haha

nrkist, I don't understand your issue. Are you suggesting that three comedians who have been personal and professional partners for many years had the temerity to work out the basics of a comedic exchange before performing? Or are you just mad the bit didn't go off as you might have liked? I didn't get the impression of a distinct pre-worked routine, nor did it feel as if something was "flubbed." Your chagrin confuses me since this episode brought me nothing but smiles and rainbows.

Yes, I take issue :). There is no doubt that the three have fantastic chemistry. 'Performing' is not really a thing in the podcast. They rigged that bit, and June didn't set it up right. I'm happy that you loved it. I love the podcast. This, the easiest material ever, was dealt with as one deals with a chore, and then pre-emptively throws forethought band-aid on it.

Edit: And yes, they had already scripted that segment previously. It's really obvious how June missed the setup yet both Paul and Jason insist that this is still going to happen. They even rib her about it, while carrying away with a non-existant, but agreed upon, premise.

Your 'you mad?' response made me wonder. Am I 'you mad'? It might have held more weight if your 'you mad' was tagged with a 'bro' or 'brah. Yes, I'm definitely 'you mad?'. They can do so much better than this episode.

Honest question for the boards...

This is the first time since binge listening to all the episodes and getting caught up that I am seriously wondering if I need to watch the movie they are covering. I mean, I love watching bad movies (I now own copies of Glitter, Rhinestone, and Xanadu for God's sake), but there is something about this one that gives me pause. Even though I know why they are doing it for their 100th, the whole premise of this movie just never appealed to me. Is it worth watching or should I just listen to the episode and give the movie a pass? Please, let me know what you think. I will let you all be my guide :)