🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 231 — My Lady Mumps

The Sklars start off the show with football players who murder animals and the controversy over Cardinal’s Quarterback’s who would like to spread the word of Jesus. Then, Randy and Jason welcome to the show Jon Dore, who helps explain what Mumps is and how to prevent it. Also, Jon details life as a Canadian comedian and participant of Christmas and potlucks. Then, the whole gang reminisces about their glory days in the little leagues. Later, in a special edition of Christmas quick hits, Dan Van Kirk covers headlines that include a man getting struck by lightning, flight attendants who abuse professional athletes’ personal spaces, and a man who smacks people with bowling bowls. Lastly, the worlds friendliest TSA employee, Michael Kissick, calls in to share some holiday travel advice.

Check out a man getting struck by lightning here:

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/11/video-did-a-player-in-peru-get-struck-by-lightning-die-and-come-back-to-life

Totally worth the wait. The Sklars and Jon riffing and busting each others' balls is just so goddam funny.

Totally worth the wait. The Sklars and Jon riffing and busting each others' balls is just so goddam funny.

Ohh, Brandon's balls are so big, they have moons orbiting them.

Sorry, I've never complained about free entertainment before, and I generally visit the country just when the bros have on a PFT, or a Daly, or an Aukerman, so I really don't feel I have any right to bitch.

BUT, hearing one of the (usually charming) hosts equate the name "All Blacks" to "The N-words", seems a little ridiculous, especially coming from the country that continues to allow the "Red Skins" to be a thing. The 'black' in 'All Blacks' came from the colour of the uniform, and has nothing to do with race, like how if I want a coffee without milk, I order a 'long black', or if I want my car to be black, I'll ask for it to be "black". I understand that Americans have a more sensitive history with the word, but it seems a little hypocritical to get on a high horse about that, and then immediately go on to claim that not supplying New Zealanders with alcohol is "like denying Americans oxygen, or food", and that "they're drunk... drunk assholes." I get that it was probably meant to be funny, but come on, Sklar.

A'ight, I'm done. Again, I'm sorry to be negative like this, but obviously it wound me up a bit.

Peace and love, peace and love, if you send me stuff, I won't sign it, peace and love.

Two counter points relating to cultural subtleties which might not be apparent to a non-American:

1) Regarding other uses of 'black' as an adjective that you cited, it's not really the same thing. It's generally not considered offensive to refer to African-Americans with 'black' as an adjective. But it is offensive (or at least antiquated/insensitive) to refer to them using 'Blacks' as a noun. The name "All Blacks" is more reminiscent of the latter.

2) Semi-related, the name "All Blacks" is definitely evocative of segregation. (Same would go for "All Whites", which I believe is a nickname for your soccer team.)

Obviously I wouldn't expect the team to not use a traditional name in order to cater to a country across the world that doesn't really care about their sport, but if you know this stuff, I think it's pretty clear why it sounds weird to American ears.

And by the way, "coming from the country that continues to allow the 'Red Skins' to be a thing" is a pretty serious mis-characterization of the situation. Most people here are strongly in favor of changing that, and I'd pretty much guarantee that includes the Sklars. So please don't lump them in with "the country", which in this case would be the (notoriously non-progressive) NFL and maybe the legal system, and even then, probably only for the time being.

• Like 1

Yeah, those are good points, I hadn't considered the segregation link. Also whenever I've heard Americans say it, they tend to emphasise both words like a sentence, whereas in NZ it just kind of rolls together into a sound that the team is called. Like, I don't think of a Rolling Stone going down a hill, I think of the rollingstones, the sound we call Mick, Keith etc. instead of thinking about a literal interpretation of the phrase. Thanks for the clarification though, helped me understand a bit better.

And yeah, I had a feeling the Red Skins thing wasn't a great point, I was mostly just annoyed by the comments about alcohol. I got hurt and I lashed out, man.

Thanks again, all the best.

• Like 2

Yeah, those are good points, I hadn't considered the segregation link. Also whenever I've heard Americans say it, they tend to emphasise both words like a sentence, whereas in NZ it just kind of rolls together into a sound that the team is called. Like, I don't think of a Rolling Stone going down a hill, I think of the rollingstones, the sound we call Mick, Keith etc. instead of thinking about a literal interpretation of the phrase. Thanks for the clarification though, helped me understand a bit better.

And yeah, I had a feeling the Red Skins thing wasn't a great point, I was mostly just annoyed by the comments about alcohol. I got hurt and I lashed out, man.

Thanks again, all the best.

Understandably. Like I said, the other stuff is not at all obvious to non-Americans, and I also assume that the Sklars are exaggerating their take on "All Blacks" for comedic effect. All good.

• Like 1

I should say as well, in case this finds its way to Mr and Mr Sklar, that I do find you to be thoughtful, funny and lovely men, and I'm sorry if what I wrote was blunt and a bit misinformed. It's just NZ is one of these countries that people tend to know very little about, so I don't want a whole bunch of people walking around whose view of NZ consists of orcs, rugby and angry drunks. It's a lovely, friendly place- as I'm sure the States are too, which is why I've been saving up to visit in a couple years. Take a tour of the Gibson factory, visit the blues bars and comedy clubs, maybe see some Earwolf favourites live, I can't wait.

Cheers,

-A.J.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this