🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
So Upsettting

"Good sport" guests

These mostly fall into the category of musical guests, but I love guests who don't try too hard to be funny but just play along.

My picks:

Aimee Mann

London Wainwright III

The Jump Street guys

The Interpol guy

Tears For Fears - they especially seemed to be just having fun.

Who else?

Those tend to be my favorite episodes--it's great to get that "straight" perspective, and I'm often surprised by how well they hold their own comedically.

I'd suggest Neko Case for the list if I could tell for sure if she was in on the joke and playing it as a bit or if she was actually that uncomfortable with the whole thing...

• Like 1

Listen to

and you need not doubt Neko Case's sense of humor
  • Like 1

I feel like Steven Yeun falls into this category, he isn't a super funny guy, but he's nice and pleasant and he plays along with the madness very well

I think I've only listened to one episode with Jon Hamm but I hope we see and hear him again soon. He was on with Kroll, and he played along marvelously, didn't try to open too many tangents on his own, just trusted that Kroll had the chops to take them in a funny place and played Robin to his Batman nicely

• Like 2

I feel like Steven Yeun falls into this category, he isn't a super funny guy, but he's nice and pleasant and he plays along with the madness very well

I think I've only listened to one episode with Jon Hamm but I hope we see and hear him again soon. He was on with Kroll, and he played along marvelously, didn't try to open too many tangents on his own, just trusted that Kroll had the chops to take them in a funny place and played Robin to his Batman nicely

Yeun is great and I love me some Hamm. He got super into his Chupacabro character into his last appearance. It was one of my favorite moments.

I'd also like to add St.Vincent to the list. Sure, she was on a crowded episode but she really stood out. Her reaction to one of Harris' (i think it was one of his) awful jokes is forever etched into my memory.

I'd almost say that Hamm rises to the level of a "funny" guest!

Being a straight man is hard in life, nevermind podcasts, but two recent ones I liked were with Mike Birbiglia on an ep w/ Gino and Victor/Tiny and Dane Cook with that no good troubled teen Rick Faber.

But this category belongs to Todd Glass who doesn't try to be intentionally funny but is hilarious in how his hyper self-awareness works so well with a character/improv format.

Sign in to follow this