🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 1521 - Paul F. Tompkins

Wahhh no player's club next week so now I have to wait over a week for a new one! Time to hit the archives.

Edit: Was not aware of the New Year tradition. Whee!

could always go back to ep 1 of this season, but if you want a real great ep to knock your socks off you could reach back to season 14 episode 20 with todd glass doing the best naturebox ad of all time

but for real season 15 has been of exceedingly high quality and starting at 1 and working up would be a good way to go

• Like 6

Not only does PFT pull the switcharoo on Jimmy's "true or false" joke, but he also reprises the "look it up" chant from the CBB Best-Of! The man is truly unrivaled in the podcasting form.

• Like 4

PFT is always a fantastic guest on everything, but somehow he was just in next-level form on this show. His effortless free association had me missing the Tompkast so much. Top-flight episode.

• Like 2

This is my first episode. Where to next, old guard?

I say start at the beginning of the Earwolf list--Jon Hamm, Conan O'Brien, Paul Reiser... Patton Oswalt's good, Scott Aukerman's always a favorite. Greg Behrendt's great. The Sinbad episode was really funny. Oh and there's PFT from season 14. And Richard Lewis was added on here a while back. And there's a Kulap, if you're a Chartist.

• Like 1

I say start at the beginning of the Earwolf list--Jon Hamm, Conan O'Brien, Paul Reiser... Patton Oswalt's good, Scott Aukerman's always a favorite. Greg Behrendt's great. The Sinbad episode was really funny. Oh and there's PFT from season 14. And Richard Lewis was added on here a while back. And there's a Kulap, if you're a Chartist.

haha I'm a chartist and a bing bonger, but havent yet really delved into NNF until the somewhat recent kroll episode which I enjoyed. I'll be combing the library for guests I enjoy to start off. I've always enjoyed Jimmy P on CBB and when I've caught him as a guest on Conan, so I should listen when I burn thru my normal earwolf fare in a week

I spend summers at a house with BOTH dutch and saloon doors! They're fun. (It also has 3 sliding, 2 screen and 1 regular door.)

• Like 2

I spend summers at a house with BOTH dutch and saloon doors! They're fun. (It also has 3 sliding, 2 screen and 1 regular door.)

Mr. Fancy over here with all his different types of doors.

• Like 2

Going With Greggy's this time due to my immense thirst for Todd Glass's voice these days and my hunger for Naturebox. Yummy yummy Naturebox. Super excited.

Loco_por_los_Cornballs's input has been noted and will assuredly influence future destinations. That Kulap epy sounds like it'd have some juice to it as I was a big, very large fan of the early Whooch with Pardo.

Now speaking of Pardo and this, my first episode of titan of a podcast, Never Not Funny:

1. Jimmy seems very angry in this episode compared to how I've received him so far. Of the many appearances he's had around the circuit, he's always seemed like this indomitable spirit of positivity and professional competency as an entertainer. I have to admit though, the word 'Jerk' was likely phonetically crafted just for Pardo to exclaim. There is a vigor and certainty that he makes these declarations that is irreproachable.

2. The format certainly feels like the old guard of radio talk but evolved along with the medium of podcasting. Its a perfectly crafted amalgam even if the Mic on PFT was kinda rough in patches. There's a warmth to this fusion and its avatar Jimmy Pardo. If quality audio broadcasting was a torch to be passed, Never Not Funny has always seemed like it was hoisted as the heroic marathon runner of our day.

3. The pacing seemed really casual but would spike into really hilarious bits when they finally picked a beat. There was chemistry and comfort bleeding through that was hypnotic to follow along with. Audible opium. Two hours of fun for sure.

Alright! NOW TO 1420!

I WONDER IF 420 HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH ITS PROCEEDINGS

• Like 2

Angry Jimmy is around a lot on NNF. Most of the time it's a bit, but I've gotten the impression from listening (I just started listening when it came on to Earwolf, but have since purchased the players club and all the back episodes to Season 12 so far) that there have been a few occasions when angry Jimmy is actually angry. I find it a hilarious bit- even when he's walking the fine line between real and fake anger- but I'm guessing the times it's genuinely real it can feel a little awkward. No one likes it when Daddy's angry!

• Like 3

9nR5JT2.gif

The video of this episode alone was worth the price of the players club. I like the audio only sometimes when I'm working or whatever, but since I bought the players club it has changed the game for me. I know it seems ultra-inane to watch people talk about dropping their keys and stuff but I get real enjoyment out of being able to see all the visual bits.

• Like 3

Yeah, it took me a while after starting to listen to NNF to get my head around how much of a character his angriness is. Once you're used to it it is much more palatable.

How can PFT not like the Guess Who's "These Eyes"? Such a great song.

and especially after playing that horrible theme to Baretta by Sammy Davis Jr.

Jimmy's always been a little angry on the show. I think it's gotten better over the years because 1) everyone's getting older and has kids and is mellowing out 2) Matt Belknap gets better at dealing with it and calling him out on it on the air. Also, Jimmy recognizes it's not always great - hence the running 0 to 60 stories from his real life. I like the show because Jimmy is just being himself, but yes, it's not always sunshine and rainbows on NNF.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this