🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 168 — These Fat Crackers: The Final Battle

Happy New Year humons! Jon Gabrus, Betsy Sodaro, Eugene Cordero, Stephanie Allynne, Colton Dunn, and Charlie Sanders return in the final part of a trilogy in which they explore narrative improv following the same characters who live in the same apartment building on today’s improv4humans with Matt Besser! We’ll follow these roommates as they prepare a breakfast of champions, gaze upon a 3 panel choose your own adventure mural, and try to break into the elevator that hasn’t been used since the years of Prohibition. Make sure to get the Upright Citizens Brigade television show season 3 now available on DVD, the UCB Comedy Improv Manual, and Dragoon’s new album at dragoongalaxy.bandcamp.com!

Unbelievably good. It was really neat to hear all of the characters naturally flesh themselves out over the three episodes. Colton and Charlie brought some new stuff to the table for this third installment, and that let Matt basically go into full director-mode.

I'd love to see this kind of thing again.

Oh, and the, "that was as cold as _____" chunk was hilarious.

• Like 5

I can't even put into words how funny these episodes have been. I haven't really been able to notice the difference in the actual style of the narrative improv. But whatever it was, it's as funny as any episode of i4h I can remember.

• Like 4

I really like this episode too. The main difference with this kind of improv is that the improviser is playing the game of the scene while playing whatever their character's game is.

Hoping word gets out on this episode to start i4h with a bang for the new year.

• Like 17

Thank you, Matt Besser. These 3 episodes are some of the best podcasting I've ever heard. All six of these cats put out some of the funniest improv I've ever heard. Every one of these six characters ended up fleshed out enough that they could be CBB guests.

And Matt, as much as you might rip on short form, Whose Line was my gateway drug to improv. In elementary school, my friends and I would do scenes in the parking lot. I haven't had the time or money to take classes yet, but without Drew Carey, I doubt I would even know what improv is.

• Like 3

This episode was amazing. Every scene belongs in a best-of episode, but the problem is the entire episode was like one extended scene so it'd be impossible to convey in a clip. Also enjoyed more of the milk-based conversation at the top, it's one of my favorite i4h "bits."

• Like 1

One of the greatest episodes in the history of the show. I love how even a "naturalistic" improv goes to absurd places. Great work

Incidentally:

F-M-K

Stephanie Allynn

Chelsea Perretti

Lauran Lapkus

?

Yeah, these really funny and talented people should be reduced to simply their physical characteristics because they're female. You're garbage, Eric.

• Like 1

F-M-K

Matt Bessar

John Gabrus

Eugene Corddry

?

Fart, Mary, Kiss?

let's see, well Gabrus definitely has the worst smelling farts, Bessar's real first name is Mary and I don't know who Eugene Corddry is so I'll assume he's a member of some late period Kiss line-up, was he the guy with an ankh painted on his face?

• Like 6

F-M-K

Stephanie Allynn

Chelsea Perretti

Lauran Lapkus

?

Go fuck yourself you stalker weirdo. Am I playing this game right?

This has been a stressful year--I4H really helped me through some tough spots. Thanks besser and crew.

• Like 2

This really felt like binge-watching a bunch of episodes of a hilarious sitcom. Everybody was so incredibly funny.

F-M-K

Stephanie Allynn

Chelsea Perretti

Lauran Lapkus

?

I'll go with Lauren Lapkus. I believe she can Find - More - Koalas than the other two. That's what you're asking, right?

• Like 7

This really felt like binge-watching a bunch of episodes of a hilarious sitcom. Everybody was so incredibly funny.

I'll go with Lauren Lapkus. I believe she can Find - More - Koalas than the other two. That's what you're asking, right?

Don't be stupid, he clearly meant Field Marshalling Kiosk.

• Like 2

I4H really became my go-to, can't miss podcast each week this year. These last three have been just stellar. Being married to a vegan made me really appreciate the roommates scene. I was in tears during the Whole Foods buying experience, 'So you guys DON'T want any donuts?'

And not for nothing, but just like I do with CBB and The Crabfeast, I would for sure pay for special episodes of I4H.

• Like 1

Great capper to a great trilogy. I was skeptical when they introduced two new people because I thought it would get too crowded, but it totally worked with the format of these episodes since no one (the performers or listeners) needed to find their footing at the start of each scene like in a normal episode.

I also loved Eugene's sermon about eating healthy. For some reason, when people's real attitudes and experiences get worked into their characters it gives me incredible joy, like i'm in on the joke because I know Eugene is such a fitness guy (and Gabrus loves to eat).

• Like 3

Just finished. Amazing. I didn't really get the narrative improv thing at first, and what made it different. But this third installment really made it click with me.

Props to Steph. It's one thing to improv a silly character, but she played 100% straight and was still laugh out loud funny. Even made the other improvers laugh. Amazing.

• Like 3

I can't stop listening to this episode. This trilogy was such a great idea, Matt. Thumbs up to you!

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this