🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode BO2014.4 — Best of 2014 Pt 4

The exciting conclusion of the Comedy Bang! Bang! best of 2014 countdown with Paul F. Tompkins is here with numbers three to one of the best CBB eps that YOU have chosen! Happy New Year!

Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed in how the countdown ended. I surely didn't dislike these episodes; I just feel they don't demonstrate the things that make Comedy Bang Bang so unique (or at least the things that I love about Comedy Bang Bang).

However, as this is done by voting, clearly I am in the minority. It's also hard to make a list when there are so few duds. Just a really strong year from start (although I'm a little sad the elligible 2013 episodes didn't get any love) to finish.

I can't wait to complain about 2015's list. Cheers, everbody. Happy New Year!

Regards

• Like 1

Best of 2014 List:

1. Ep. 300 - Oh, Golly, You Devil!

2. Ep. 274 - Oh, Golly!

3. Ep. 289 - The Exorcism of Cake Boss

4. Ep. 286 - Time Bobby 3

5. Ep. 304 - Marissa Wompler's Six Flags Birthday Womptacular

6. Ep. 285 - Solo Bolo

7. Ep. 312 - Grounded Me@

8. Ep. 283 - 5th Anniversary Show

9. Ep. 263 - Hollywild

10. Ep. 272 - Sex Party Season

11. Ep. 309 - Tony Macaroni

12. Ep. 266 - The Calvins Twins

13. Ep. 265 - Live at RIOT LA

14. Ep. 301 - They're Twins Jonah!

15. Ep. 310 - Little Button Puss

• Like 10

If the order was almost in exact opposite, I'd be more impressed with the voters. But, whatever.

• Like 3

'Oh, Golly' and 'Oh, Golly, You Devil' side by side as they should be. Just like Bald-roid and Dum-brin.

• Like 5

Andy Daly and Jason Mantzoukas definitely deserve the top two spots after hearing how much work they put in for those two episodes.

Altogether what a fantastic year for CBB!!

• Like 5

I surely didn't dislike these episodes; I just feel they don't demonstrate the things that make Comedy Bang Bang so unique (or at least the things that I love about Comedy Bang Bang).

Not to start a whole thing or sound like I'm attacking you but, what?!

Andy Daly, PFT and Wompler episodes comprising the top 5 means everything is right with the world. They epitomize the show to me. They are dark and strange, yet silly and absurd; there's both continuity and freedom. I'm not sure how it could get more unique.

Andy Daly a stone cold genius. Most of the time you won't hear something that good scripted, and he did it live. It's impressive to just talk as two characters, let alone a dozen, while being forced into things by Zouks and Scott. That was undeniably great.

• Like 16

It's impressive to just talk as two characters, let alone a dozen, while being forced into things by Zouks and Scott.

"Is that why he can't commit suicide?"

"[unintelligible] I guess so."

• Like 6

Just finished the episode, and while I initially wasn't crazy about the top two (not because they weren't great, just because it felt a bit much to have two from a series be the top two), I'm sold on it after hearing How the Bread is Made. Between the work that went into OGYD and the fact that they represent the culmination of 4+ years of great episodes, they definitely feel worthy.

• Like 6

Not to start a whole thing or sound like I'm attacking you but, what?!

Andy Daly, PFT and Wompler episodes comprising the top 5 means everything is right with the world. They epitomize the show to me. They are dark and strange, yet silly and absurd; there's both continuity and freedom. I'm not sure how it could get more unique.

Andy Daly a stone cold genius. Most of the time you won't hear something that good scripted, and he did it live. It's impressive to just talk as two characters, let alone a dozen, while being forced into things by Zouks and Scott. That was undeniably great.

Could not agree more. There are times when it actually seems like there are more than three people in the room.

ive only been listening for a year, but it strikes me that there is no single CBB aesthetic, just a lot of different ones.

• Like 4

I couldn't agree more with number one. Not only was it incredibly funny but it is just a testament to what a brilliant and gifted improvisor Andy Daly is. Probably laughed aloud the most at The Exorcism of Cake Boss cake boss but in every way number one deserved to be number one. Between his CBB appearances, Review, and his own podcast, 2014 was the year of Andy Daly.

Also happy to see that 8 of my voted on episodes made the top 15 (although half were in the 11 to 15) but it was hard to choose as CBB had a stellar year.

Great job to everybody involved and thank you for helping me start my weeks right all these years.

• Like 3

The one thing I still don't get about Oh Golly You Devil is how did Andi Calahan RN go from being a serial killer doing horrible medical experiments on vagrants in an abandoned house to being not only on the "good" team but actually being God? I know he said he was going to be kill himself and be reborn as a dragon so maybe he's just a god rather than the god, still don't understand how he ended up being good

• Like 1

The one thing I still don't get about Oh Golly You Devil is how did Andi Calahan RN go from being a serial killer doing horrible medical experiments on vagrants in an abandoned house to being not only on the "good" team but actually being God? I know he said he was going to be kill himself and be reborn as a dragon so maybe he's just a god rather than the god, still don't understand how he ended up being good

Yeah, but ultimately, aren't all of Andy's character's horrible monsters? (Mostly I liked that he chose a relatively obscure character just because it made Jason say "You weren't even in the pilots".)

• Like 4

Yeah, but ultimately, aren't all of Andy's character's horrible monsters? (Mostly I liked that he chose a relatively obscure character just because it made Jason say "You weren't even in the pilots".)

haha you're right and I think I just realized what separates "good" from "evil" in the Dalyverse, everyone who's bad does horrible things willingly but his good characters do horrible things thinking they're doing good things.

• Like 4

haha you're right and I think I just realized what separates "good" from "evil" in the Dalyverse, everyone who's bad does horrible things willingly but his good characters do horrible things thinking they're doing good things.

If there is a god in Andy daly's world, it's probably not a very nice one....

• Like 2

I did enjoy Scott's mangled timeline of the history of Andy Daly/Zouks eps.

• Like 2

What a sweet ending. Thank you Scott, Paul, guests, engineers & crew for another great year of hundreds of hours of free entertainment. Here's to 2015 providing more jokes about a baby's gigantic... cheeks. Sincerely, A Dumbshit Audience Member.

• Like 3

The dialogue at the end was so weird... It was like a series wrap up not a year wrap up!

I'm wondering if Scott is feeling blue about the fate of the TV show...

The dialogue at the end was so weird... It was like a series wrap up not a year wrap up!

I'm wondering if Scott is feeling blue about the fate of the TV show...

I haven't listened to this one yet, but I couldn't help but peak at the comments since I'm currently sitting at an airport hella delayed. I've felt this way about the dialogue throughout the year end round up. A lot of behind the curtain work... a lot of nostalgia. Makes a person wonder.

Also, fantastic avatar!

• Like 2

This was the first best of count down in which I was so sure of which episode would be #1 that I really should have sought out a bookie that handles these kinds of things