🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode BO2014.4 — Best of 2014 Pt 4

Nubile Agape was a sweetheart of an episode. Kulap and Shelby were so delightful, and their reactions to Scott's and Aaron's many riffs and playful pokes at Shelby warranted a few re-listens from me. Suffra-get City!

• Like 2

Really, that's how I feel about a lot of mythology thick episodes. I don't dislike them, they're usually really good, but it feels stressful to listen to because everyone involved has to make the episode worthwhile and push some sort of storyline forward. I prefer the ones divorced from any sort of mythos because they can be so loose and goofy.

It's weird, there are certain storylines that I totally feel that way for--the Womptaculars wear me out, and I almost have to turn off Victor and Tiny eps. That said, there are also plenty of one-offs that feel that way for me, maybe because they're more likely to paint themselves into a corner trying out new characters...

And in my book, the Oh Golly saga was the crossover event of the decade. Even if the top two being a two-parter is a little weird, I have no complaint with the top two. The behind-the-scenes on that was amazing, too, and more evidence that Andy Daly is one of the great comedic geniuses of our day.

• Like 1

I think my opinions on the mythology-thick eps have already been covered by previous posters, so let me just say hearing Matt Gourley break PFT into fits of giggles simply by pronouncing "devil" as "Debil" in his HR Giger voice brings me unparalleled joy and laughter.

"That'll do, pig."

Also, I laughed so hard at PFT's "She crucified me...with science?!"

• Like 9

Also I'd totally listen to a Monologue Bang Bang, if only to hear Scott flop and flail. Especially if he tries to bring out characters to mix it up.

• Like 2

My main problem with Wompler is that I cannot buy her as a high school aged person in the least. Lapkus slays as Reardon in that regard. Wompler just sounds like an adult thirthysomething woman to me. And Listler gives me a huge Jane Lynch vibe.

Thanks so much for another year of amazing stuff Scott! Everything you do with CBB and beyond means the world to me.

Never stop!

It's weird, there are certain storylines that I totally feel that way for--the Womptaculars wear me out, and I almost have to turn off Victor and Tiny eps. That said, there are also plenty of one-offs that feel that way for me, maybe because they're more likely to paint themselves into a corner trying out new characters...

And in my book, the Oh Golly saga was the crossover event of the decade. Even if the top two being a two-parter is a little weird, I have no complaint with the top two. The behind-the-scenes on that was amazing, too, and more evidence that Andy Daly is one of the great comedic geniuses of our day.

I totally understand that. Tiny and Victor don't exhaust me, though, just because I think it's easy for me to forget that they're entirely Brendon Small somehow. The joke in the holiday episode about how Tiny and Victor never speak at the same time caught me completely off guard because I forget it's just one dude so quickly. Whereas Oh Golly, You Devil, I could feel the effort Andy was putting in, which was entirely appreciated and hilarious, but still sort of exhausting to me

• Like 1

I first started listening to cbb in early 2013 and was fairly picky about which episodes I actually listend to. When last year started I made the conscious decision to listen to more even if I didn't know the guests and IT'S BEEN very satisfying. I'm very happy I've been able to discover all these talented comedians and their hilarious/assinine jokes and characters. Looking forward to what 2015 brings!

• Like 2

My main problem with Wompler is that I cannot buy her as a high school aged person in the least. Lapkus slays as Reardon in that regard. Wompler just sounds like an adult thirthysomething woman to me. And Listler gives me a huge Jane Lynch vibe.

That's my favorite part about Wompler. Jessica tries to talk like a teenager sometimes, then brings up a song or a movie from the 80s. Usually followed by Scott saying "Wow, I'm surprised you know about that" just to poke at her. I also like whenever Scott says "Its like you're not even a real person."

• Like 7

My problem with Wompler is that there's this underlying sadness that I can't stake about it. There's this subtext about this depressed fat girl being manipulated by her teacher. (Yes, a lot if CBB is dark, but wompler/list hits close to home for me).

Otoh I loved forsythia *windchimes* even though there's a dark side there, too.

• Like 1

I totally understand that. Tiny and Victor don't exhaust me, though, just because I think it's easy for me to forget that they're entirely Brendon Small somehow. The joke in the holiday episode about how Tiny and Victor never speak at the same time caught me completely off guard because I forget it's just one dude so quickly. Whereas Oh Golly, You Devil, I could feel the effort Andy was putting in, which was entirely appreciated and hilarious, but still sort of exhausting to me

But at one point Andy just says something about the continuity not being important..

For me there's no one CBBs standard. I remember reading someone's commegt on the movie Fargo and how it shouldn't even have been nominated for best picture. And yet Roger Ebert says that when they were first watching it Siskel turned to him and said "this is why we go to the movies."

Or to put it another way, CBB is like silver age DC comics: they could have wizards and Angels and aliens and WWII companies all in their comics, and whole each had their own continuity it didht matter if aliens and wizards or whatever would likely contradict each otger.

• Like 1

Will come back after finishing for more discussion, but just wanted to say OH MAN major flashback to my Catholic childhood when Paul started singing "Were You There." I remember always hating that song, because it sounded like an accusation.

As a semi religious person I love it when Scott y and PFT talk about religion. I doubt they're devout believers but they are knowledgable and don't make cheap jokes.

Also, I want Scott Benny and PFT to do an a Capella album.

• Like 1

Ha! "Lake Else and Ever" (00:11:27)! If I'm not mistaken that's a reference to Lake Elsinore, a city about an hour South of LA, and my hometown! N'ever expected to hear that on this podcast.

I would love to see the beat sheet that Scott refers to when explaining the "Oh Golly" saga.

• Like 2

Can I just say... that 'n' (i.e. rock 'n' roll) is the shortest contraction.

It's definitely one o' the shortest ones I can think of

• Like 1

I was one of those guys that lived off podcasts for a week in the hospital.

Thank you Comedy Bang Bang, Earwolf, and all podcasters!

14122108157_40c6fd47ee.jpg

Earbuds in? Check!

• Like 21

I love the behind the laughter stuff and this was a really good way to close off the Dalyuniverse. Thanks to Andy, Zouks and Scott for the best trilogy in any genre. So many laughs came off those 3 just riffing.

Hard to argue with that #1. Andy Daly just killed it in 2014 across the podcast board.

My only qualms with this would be a dearth of Horatio Sanz and Victor and Tiny. I thought both deserved multiple spots. Same goes for Intern Gino. Thems the breaks though. Very stellar year for CBB! overall. C+ to say the least.

Good list, I just wish one of Lapkus' episodes was #1, since this was clearly the Year of Lapkus for CBB/Earwolf.

• Like 1

Good list, I just wish one of Lapkus' episodes was #1, since this was clearly the Year of Lapkus for CBB/Earwolf.

Think of it this way: The MVP for the season isn't always on the team that wins the Workd Series. LL won the MVP but Daly won the series.

• Like 1

Hard to argue with that #1. Andy Daly just killed it in 2014 across the podcast board.

My only qualms with this would be a dearth of Horatio Sanz and Victor and Tiny. I thought both deserved multiple spots. Same goes for Intern Gino. Thems the breaks though. Very stellar year for CBB! overall. C+ to say the least.

Yeah, some b-b-b-bonus clips would have fixed that, but I really enjoyed the "how the sausage is made" conversations that Scott and Paul had instead.

• Like 1

I first listened to CBB bout a year and a half ago when I found "Murderer Heaven" on YouTube while looking for PFT videos. After several listenings I decided to see what else CBB had to offer and began the entire series from #1. I finally caught up w EP 300 and it felt like a Big Damn Deal. Grats to Daly and Zooks for such a great saga!

I'm super bummed HeeHee wasn't on the list though.

• Like 2

I first listened to CBB bout a year and a half ago when I found "Murderer Heaven" on YouTube while looking for PFT videos. After several listenings I decided to see what else CBB had to offer and began the entire series from #1. I finally caught up w EP 300 and it felt like a Big Damn Deal. Grats to Daly and Zooks for such a great saga!

I'm super bummed HeeHee wasn't on the list though.

The ghost of Richard harrow is a character I want to hear from again

• Like 3

I was one of those guys that lived off podcasts for a week in the hospital.

Thank you Comedy Bang Bang, Earwolf, and all podcasters!

14122108157_40c6fd47ee.jpg

Earbuds in? Check!

Best post I've seen on this entire thread.

• Like 3

Great list, and I really appreciated the glimpse behind the episodes during the countdown. I definitely agree with everyone that's a bit disappointed in the lack of Gino. The other thing that really struck me was was the complete lack of James Adomian on the list. Not really a surprise - he's been on a lot less and the appearances he has made haven't been his most memorable IMO - but still kind of surreal to see no Adomian at all.

• Like 1