🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 213.5 — 1/02/14 TWO CHARTED 152

Kulap starts off the show, and new year, with an investigation into why Howard will never have a full beard. Also, New Years salutations are exchanged and the top hip hop songs of 2014, as Howard saw them and heard them, are discussed. Also, Howard predicts why it's going to be a magical year, which involves Kulap's ability to put magically put on suit jackets. Then, Kulap explains why she can't do kickboxing and how she'll be working out in the new year. Later, the gang debates weather or not the Victoria Secret Fashion show is the greatest piece of television of all time. Lastly, Kulap and Howard discus their New Year's resolutions and why it's important to "stay on your purpose."

I wonder if Howard has ever listened to Death Grips and, assuming he has, what he thinks of them... I can't remember if they've ever been mentioned on the show. their stuff has a similar rawness to Bitch You Guessed It, but on a level that's borderline absurd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu-MFuqymsc

I feel like hip-hop is experiencing a late-70's/early-80's-hardcore-punk-esque DIY renaissance and, within the next few years, it will transform into something we've never seen or heard before.

• Like 3

I would second the hiphop DIY era, but I dont think its a good thing. Makes it that much easier for a song like CoCo to happen, and it becoming a radio hit is just despicable since it has basically zero lyrics and could have been written by a 14 year old in his first try.

I'm not a huge hip hop fan right now, my interest has been waning in the last 5-10 years, but if I were a rapper/hiphop artist, I'd be furious with the fact that songs like this and Iggy Azalea are what represents the genres at the moment.

Like "CoCo" is dumber and simpler than "Because I got High" which was only an ironic "hit" people thought it was stupid-funny. "CoCo" is an actual hit and is on the radio all the time it seems now, and I think those of us that arent real fans of the genre are laughing at it, but the bulk of the population requesting it and keeping that station on think its a great song

• Like 1

I would second the hiphop DIY era, but I dont think its a good thing. Makes it that much easier for a song like CoCo to happen, and it becoming a radio hit is just despicable since it has basically zero lyrics and could have been written by a 14 year old in his first try.

I'm not a huge hip hop fan right now, my interest has been waning in the last 5-10 years, but if I were a rapper/hiphop artist, I'd be furious with the fact that songs like this and Iggy Azalea are what represents the genres at the moment.

Like "CoCo" is dumber and simpler than "Because I got High" which was only an ironic "hit" people thought it was stupid-funny. "CoCo" is an actual hit and is on the radio all the time it seems now, and I think those of us that arent real fans of the genre are laughing at it, but the bulk of the population requesting it and keeping that station on think its a great song

Yeah it kind of frustrates me too. "CoCo" and that crazy dumb dej loaf song are hilarious but I think they only have ironic value. To me, the whole "idiot rap" thing is a lot like "bro-country". This stuff is so popular that casual listeners associate hip-hop or rap with CoCo and I think it misrepresents the genre.

It's also a hit because it was done by a like 16 year old girl who most people want to think would like them if they met her.

Imagine if she didn't... You got that to deal with and then also think you're in some way authentic

• Like 1

Makes it that much easier for a song like CoCo to happen, and it becoming a radio hit is just despicable since it has basically zero lyrics and could have been written by a 14 year old in his first try.

I don't think that's bad

• Like 1

The first time I heard CoCo, I thought it was a parody by Tracy Morgan.

• Like 1

Love Howard, but an actual youth checking in. Rae Sremmurd are from Mississippi and are in their early 20s.

Love Howard, but an actual youth checking in. Rae Sremmurd are from Mississippi and are in their early 20s.

And Dej Loaf is like 23.

PS - I love Whooch and Twooch. That is all.

Completely agree, all these songs Howard likes have ironic value at best. There is really almost no good hiphop in the mainstream at all currently.

Completely agree, all these songs Howard likes have ironic value at best. There is really almost no good hiphop in the mainstream at all currently.

I was thinking the other day how few of the mainstream successful rap/hip-hop artists I actually like right now. Was reminded that J.Cole had a handful of great songs on his first album, so I'm hoping he's still in that mode and hasn't changed to something I will hate now.

Sign in to follow this