đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Sign in to follow this  
Irradiated_Survivor

Altered States (1980)

1980 movie starring William Hurt where he plays a scientist that regresses genetically after experimenting with hallucinogenic drugs in an isolation chamber. This movie is insane! The problem is I don't feel its a bad movie but it is crazy and I'd like to hear the panel dissect the movie. Thanks!

Link to the trailer:

• Like 1

It's definitley not a bad movie IMO. It's a typical insane Ken Russell movie - crazy but great.

• Like 1

Yeah, my dad was always watching these bizarre movies when i was growing up so I was exposed to some weird/great movies as a young kid. This one definitely stuck with me. Another move i want to suggest but I need to see if its been posted is Naked Lunch. Just remember my mother being like "What the hell are ya'll watching?!?" I haven't seen it as an adult but I remember it being very disturbing.

This deserves a bump. It’s not a “bad” movie but it is fucking insane and it’s incredibly trippy. It has an insanely convoluted plot with William Hurt giving a performance that varies from charmingly  uptight asshole to psychotically uptight asshole. It’s an ambitious mix of art house sci-fi/horror with an over-the top, exceptionally well-made b-movie. The best parts of the movie are such a sensory assault that you just roll with it. Plus there’s body horror, a primate rampage, and cultural appropriation all before the third act even starts! 
It’s such a unique roller-coaster ride (BTW, the film is fully aware of how ridiculous it all is and subverts itself so often that it is genuinely unpredictable) that I could see it being covered on HDTGM or Unspooled, but I’ll suggest it here. Now streaming on HBO Max. 

Sign in to follow this