🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 328 — Beatle Heaven

Holy Crap! People always get fergilicious over episodes with musical guests.

You can literally move your hand and make the sounds go away!

I didn't like the musical guest but I never do because I have horrible taste in music and I'm ok with that.

(Side note the song 'Here' by Pavement was playing in my head when I listened to this episode The one that says

"And i'm the only one who laughs, at your jokes when they are so bad" )

((side side note: I only openly laugh at slapstick humour like Lorne Michaels ))

(((side side side note: MIke Hanford is sleeper good, his deliveries are subtle and wonderful, I've said this before in previous posts and I'm not Mike Hanford )))

• Like 2

I hope they can get all 3 Workaholics guys on at some point. Maybe get them to do characters as is part and parcel to CBB.

(And when they're talking guitars--they're playing Taylors. Ain't nothing shitty about those guitars.)

I play a Jonathan Taylor Thomas

• Like 3

I loved this episode, everyone was on fire. I've always wanted to check out American Football and I liked all the songs they played, so that seals the deal. I'm glad CBB does musical guests, I think the people who don't like them are in the minority, especially since you can skip the songs, and also early CBB had loads of music. Not to mention Neko Case's legendary wit gracing the program, among others. These are my favorite eps of CBB, new guests where everyone clicks and a legend like John Lennon to kick things up a notch. Keeps the show fresh. I hope Mall McCartney runs into his old pal one of these days

• Like 2

It would be more like if you baked those cookies every week and she always said they were the best cookies she's ever had. Then one week you show up with a particularly hard batch of cookies. Message still received though.

It would be like if I baked cookies every week, and every week someone had a different complaint about them but I still made them anyway for some reason, and then on occasion I made brownies instead and people said OMG WHY?? COOKIES ARE ENOUGH!!!

And then when someone defended me people said things like

"I'm sorry for having an opinion."

And pretended that was a real apology.

And THEN someone else did the same thing the next week cuz gotta let everyone know that brownies are objectively bad.

That's the complete analogy.

• Like 5

"Professional Tools?!" I feel like this could be said for every episode, but Scott was on fire here. I especially love that, regardless of this episode's Engineer Cody, he took any technical gaffe as a chance to get a dig in at Engineer Cody Cody.

Hanford was fucking hilarious. I wonder if there's any connection between Beatle Heaven and Murderer Heaven? Also, SO MUCH fodder for the Beatles' Wikipedia pages.

• Like 1

Really solid musical performances, all-around great episode. I had never heard of American Football but I give all CBB musical guests the benefit of the doubt and I always listen all the way through. The Both and now American Football were fantastic recent performances, definitely C+ material. I also get a kick out of knowing that at least one of the band members is a big fan of the show, and if he may be reading these words, good job bud! I'm happy to see you having so much success and it must be great to have such a following. You were far less "emo" than some of the whiny bullshit out there these days and really enjoyable to listen to live. I enjoyed it all, as a first-time listener, but Summer's End, especially the fact that one of the Steve's was just tapping on shit, was fantastic. If nobody uploads these tracks to YouTube or iTunes in the next few days, I'll upload it to YouTube myself.

To people complaining about musical guests, it's really easy to skip ahead or skip an episode completely. Sometimes I feel an intense urge to say something negative about a guest, but about 99% of the time I'm able to hold it back. It's still really worth it to follow the old adage "if you don't have something nice to say, say nothing". That's not to discourage dissenting opinions, but I'm just saying these forums tend to be a really positive, constructive place. Saying the equivalent of "I don't like the musical guest" adds nothing and is really just kinda vain, because frankly, who cares if you don't like a band?

I'm just happy that I actually had another new episode this week, I was ripping through some of my own personal best-ofs recently because I didn't have enough new material. If you're feeling similar, a few episodes I went back to recently were The Thrilling CBB Adventure Hour, Shed Busting, the old one with Aziz and Brendon Small and, because I hadn't listened to it yet, I checked out Orson Welles' first appearance.

BTW, is "American Football" what you guys call soccer? Up here in Canada we just call it soccer.

And honestly, you could upload these live tracks to iTunes for sure. They are fantastic.

• Like 1

When Scott announced that the plugs theme was "Plug Rug" by Plug Rug, I thought for sure he'd squeeze a "titular" in there.

• Like 2

When Scott announced that the plugs theme was "Plug Rug" by Plug Rug, I thought for sure he'd squeeze a "titular" in there.

I feel that falls under the category of........ eponymous.

much like "Black Sabbath" by Black Sabbath from the album Black Sabbath.

or "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden from the album Iron Maiden.

etc.

• Like 3

much like "Black Sabbath" by Black Sabbath from the album Black Sabbath.

or "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden from the album Iron Maiden.

etc.

or "Bad Company" by Bad Company on the album Bad Company

• Like 3

Titular 'til I die, bro!

• Like 3

Kind of just somewhat related, but my favorite Ringo moment always makes me laugh:

• Like 2

First time, long time. Hanford's Lennon would be a perfect match for Mookie's MJ, one of my favorite CBB charac's ever. Would love to see the two of them on the same episode getting way over their heads in terms of their person's backstory.

• Like 5

Such a great ep. Hanford is always fun, but this set a new bar for him. Between Horatio mentioning Arlington Heights, Anders mentioning Evanston/Rogers Park/JJ Peppers, and a Kinsella bro showing up, I am starting to feel like Comedy Bang Bang is following me.

• Like 2

I posted my last comment halfway through, now I'm done. I'm pretty sure this is my favorite Mike Hanford appearance, and he makes me laugh hard every time he's on (his professional skier immediately comes to mind). There was something about the accent bouncing around so much (I swear at one point he sounded like a redneck), the fact he's a rotting zombie, and so much more, that just really worked for me as a character. The whole gang was great, but he had me laughing hysterically and Scott and crew asked some perfect questions. I sincerely hope John Lennon returns, maybe as one of this year's Christmas ghosts, but then again I'd also like to see whatever other ridiculousness Hanford has on deck. I also agree with the comment about all three Workaholics on CBB, and I'd love to see them come on the show in character as the wizards. You can see some really early Wizards stuff on YouTube, from before Workaholics, and I know they actually tried to pitch their Wizards stuff hard to Comedy Central but all CC wanted was Workaholics. I feel like Comedy Bang! Bang! is the perfect place for them to get into the Wizards and explore the characters in a public setting, and they could even crossover to the TV show very nicely. Grepisode!

• Like 1

This episode is wonderful and American Football's songs sounded amazing. Great ep, Scott.

Also - The Summer Ends is always going to fuck me up. "Stay Home" on American Football's titular album is a favorite song of all time for me. I like to listen to it the most when I stay home on weird nights.

I have a conspiracy theory about this ep....

Seems like Hanford was really trying to lead Scott in the direction that he was actually Ringo Starr, and not John Lennon. Scott was purposely not biting, and stretched out the show to put Hanford on the spot.

I would totally believe Ringo has never looked at his own hands.

I guess the year starts with an ominous warning about what happens when you don't respect the floor opening for questions. Hope future guests pay attention to these guys' hubris.