🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 328 — Beatle Heaven

the beetles a rr e a goooood band

The Beatles are good rock'n'roll, uh..., music.

• Like 3

An awful lot of debate over music stuffs. Do some podcast apps NOT have 30 sec skip options?

Glad to hear that WYR is working its way back into rotation more frequently.

• Like 1

That was my WYR scenario! It's an incredible feeling to listen to Scott's crazy twists and turns play out.

• Like 1

Arguing about musical guests on a comedy podcast. Did I accidentally wander into a WTF forum?

But really, great episode. I can understand why people might have some trepidation towards musical guests, but all the ones I remember seem to dive in and participate, even if they can be a little stand-offish at times. And you know what? I think that's great. They're getting outside of their zone and having a go and showing they really buy into what CBB! is all about. We can all only be so lucky.

• Like 1

You misunderstood, I said that referring to the podcast as a whole, not just this episode. I'm not trying to be a spoiled fan, but I just feel like having musicians on comedy podcast is not why anyone listens to the show, yet it's becoming an increasingly more common thing on CBB. This is already a pretty specific somewhat niche comedy podcast, that I am a huge fan of. But when you bring in a musician , it narrows that niche even more so. Which I guess leaves fans like me less inclined to enjoy the podcast.

I'm going to have to disagree with this (narrowing the niche). Being a big fan of American Football (and all things Kinsella, really), I'm definitely going to send this episode to a few friends that are also fans who have probably never heard the podcast (but will undoubtedly like it)

That being said, Hanford 100% slayed ... and it was made even better by how tickled the other guests were by his performance.

• Like 1

Also, it's not like there are never comedy guests on comedy podcasts that don't click with the format (less on CBB because it's not as much a "special guest each week" format as a "bring in comedy people you know will be in the mix"). If you don't like a guest, look for two right-pointed triangles and click. Especially when it's a b-b-b-b-bonus.

I guess I shouldn't have expected Scott to call him a "lovable lad from Liverpool."

• Like 1

Someone did a Paul McCartney charac, didn't they? Maybe back in the CDR days...

I could be mistaken but I think it was a Jon Daly charac, "Mall McCartney"

• Like 1

I guess I shouldn't have expected Scott to call him a "lovable lad from Liverpool."

Right, because John Lennon wasn't in U2.

• Like 8

I liked the Hollywood Handbook ad

• Like 2

Anybody taking umbrage with musical guests on a comedy podcast are in direct violation of the Gospel of Paul F. Tompkins.

From Paul's Laboring Under Delusions: Live in Brooklyn (bolded emphasis mine):

"I've been doing this long enough to know that if I were to tell you right now, 'Hey, we're going to have— in the middle of this comedy show that you expected to see— we're going to have a musician come out and play a couple songs,' you guys would probably be cool with that. But there's something about comedy in front of music that makes people lose their minds. 'Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome, before the music starts, the very idea of a comedian!' 'BOOOOOOO! WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?! I CANNOT ADJUST MY EXPECTATIONS EVEN THOUGH THIS IS A VERY COMMON OCCURRENCE! BOOOOOOO!'"

Except in this particular podcast situation, the script is flipped with comedy fans being the irrational music fans from the above excerpt, booing the music in the middle of the comedy. This happens every time improv4humans has a musical episode as well. Comedy people, don't be music people. You're supposed to probably be cool with that. Don't be throwing your verbal ice cubes at Comedy Bang Bang because you cannot adjust your expectations.

Thanks

• Like 3

Brett, great sound on the music! The handclaps and percussion sounded especially stellar!

Someone did a Paul McCartney charac, didn't they? Maybe back in the CDR days...

You're thinking of Jon Daly's Mall McCartney.

• Like 3

I loved this episode, and I find it really strange that people feel so fueled to log into Earwolf's forums and give the producers and everyone involved such guff if they don't happen to like something that is done for free. Everyone has opinions but what exactly are you trying to achieve by saying "HEY I DON'T LIKE THIS!" What do you have going on in your life that you have the time to do this?! I WANT TO KNOW YOUR SECRETS?! WHERE DO YOU KEEP YOUR TIMESTONES THAT ALLOW FOR SUCH WONDER? For real though you only have a finite amount of time alive, so if complaining about your free wonderful piece of entertainment is how you want to use those minutes, then GO FOR IT CONNECT FOUR! There is better use of that energy though! TOUCH A LEAF! Throw a snowball!

I loved this episode. Like, really loved it. Mike Hanford knocked it out of the park. His snowboard charac has been a longtime fav, and John Lennon is maybe even better. There's something about the focus of his characters I adore. And everyone else was an exemplary first timer, too, including our two musical guests.

I do want to say that while I don't like it when people are really negative or pissy about not liking something (bringing a load of bile in here should never be cool), I don't think it's invalid to mention what didn't work for you about an episode. Rosebuddy got maybe a little snarky at the end of their initial comment, but it wasn't hateful, and they spent subsequent comments not really anteing up the rising tension in the thread. Meanwhile, a lot of people piled on to really agitatedly hold Rosebuddy in contempt. People tend to get passionate and personal about the podcasts and other media they listen to, even when it's free (for example, all the people whose lives are apparently shitty enough that they spend time talking about how much they like these things, or write angry posts about how people shouldn't post negative feedback). I don't think people should be rude or mean to the guests or hosts, especially not in the way of personal attacks, but mentioning that you don't really dig musician episodes is not invalid, I don't think. Unless the rule of the forum really is that only enthusiastic positivity is allowed.

Obviously, people who don't like MUSICAL GUEST episodes are in the minority. And Scott & co. can continue doing the show exactly how they like to. But especially if a lot of the audience wasn't into it, maybe it'd be good to have that feedback? I don't know. At any rate, I'd love to even see American Football come back.

I can't imagine how fun it must be to be a non-comedian fan of the show and then get the opportunity to be doing it.

• Like 3

Also, Mike Hanford's John Lennon is up there with Paul Scheer and Scott Aukerman in terms of hilariously bad voices. Just kept fluctuating between bad Australian and bad Mississippian... too funny.

• Like 3

Man, what a great episode! So early in the year, and yet, I'm pretty sure I'll be voting for this one when the Best Of's come around at the end of 2015! SO HILARIOUS.

Mike Hanford is great; I've also never heard a situation where the character's established rules - in this case, about death - broke a game of 'Would you Rather?', lol. Anders is rad (can't wait for Workaholics and Broad City to start up!) and it was awesome hearing his rap at the end over the plugs theme! 'American Football' sounded great. I got nothing against Emo-Pop/Punkish stuff; I listened to that stuff in High School and the acoustic versions here sounded fantastic.

I really lost it when I heard some of these lines. "I just told them not to tell anybody - I think that should do it", "He wanted to switch instruments mid-song (what!?!) Yeah he was crazy", all the talk about "Unpainful"... and "Now here's a question for all of you: Refresh me on who Stu Studclif is" - oh man. I was laughing so loud! Hanford was hilarious!

Really loved this episode, Scott. Thanks for the b-b-b-bonus-s-s-s episode this week! It was AWESOME!

I hope John Lennon and Michael Jackson show up on a future episode and talk about how it is after dying. I'm pretty sure, for some reason (lol), their experiences and rulesets will not line up 1-to-1.

• Like 2

Oh! Speaking of Anders, he had a small part in The Interview, and he delivered one of my favorite reaction lines in the film (it was during the part of the film when the actual interview happens). He NAILED the delivery, and cracked me up hard.

• Like 1

This was a great ep. GREAT ep. Everything worked. Anders, Mike, American Football, they all worked together perfectly. And the music was also great! My favorite musical guest, hands down. Must remember this one next November when we have to name the 10 best of the year.

• Like 2

Brett, great sound on the music! The handclaps and percussion sounded especially stellar!

thank you!

• Like 4

I was at a bar last night and I finally heard the real version of that "Bang Bang" song. But I started singing the Ben Schwartz version, and everyone around me looked at me as if I was the most vial person alive. Thanks, Comedy Bang Bang.

• Like 2

I always enjoy when someone comes on to do a celebrity impression of someone they're not terribly familiar with. And when Scott realizes this and zeroes in on them... always gold. I like to think Mike Hanford still has no idea who Stu Sutcliffe is.

• Like 5

I always enjoy when someone comes on to do a celebrity impression of someone they're not terribly familiar with. And when Scott realizes this and zeroes in on them... always gold. I like to think Mike Hanford still has no idea who Stu Sutcliffe is.

I can guarantee he doesn't, I want to hear him wth Mall McCartney... Duelling bad Liverpudlian accents.

• Like 1

or "Bad Company" by Bad Company on the album Bad Company

or "Big Country" by Big Country on the album Big Country?

• Like 2

Hanford was great. I love Beatle impressions, particularly not not very good ones and he had me dying. he sounded pretty Australian at points to me and I loved his tales of how the Beatle bread was made. American Football isn't my musical cup of tea but I liked their acoustic stuff on here, especially the first song. They also meshed in really well with the show ("Sclusie!")