🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 8 — Healthy You with Kate Berlant

Hi! Welcome to another edition of Healthy You, with your host, Kate Berlant! Today Kate’s guest is her close personal friend Rachel Rachel-Stoyd. Kate & Rachel talk about speaking to dogs, their personal health issues, and their past public fight at the Grand Canyon. Then, Traci Reardon pops in to do her recurring segment, “Help Me, Rhonda,” in which she and Kate offer advice on how to chill and much more to Twitter followers.

That got weird in a good way. Definintely characters that could be revisited. The mention of the Grand Canyon in the description was a bit spoilery but knowing where the 'falling out' would occur added a note of anticipation and suspense leading to it. Knowing how they would return to their suggestive word choices gave it another level of entertainment.

Also, this exchange amused me more than it should have:

"Rick. Chip?"

"Clip!"

Lauren's breaking laughter was extremely contagious, silently laugh crying at my desk this morning

I love love love this show. My life is noticeably brighter since it came along

• Like 11

Looking forward to listening to this ep! I saw Kate Berlant perform stand up at the last Super Serious Show of 2014 (MC'd by Paul F. Tompkins). She was really funny! I had never seen her before and so it took me a moment or two to acclimate to her comedic stylings, and by the end my sides hurt from laughing. Recently I noticed Lauren posted stuff about Kate performing with Wild Horses, so I love that it has parlayed into a WSGLL appearance!

• Like 1

I'd fallen out of having WSG on my weekly listen and this episode told me that I was wrong and stupid for doing that. Great goddamn ep.

• Like 1

I'd fallen out of having WSG on my weekly listen and this episode told me that I was wrong and stupid for doing that. Great goddamn ep.

I hope people don't miss this one. Judging from the decrease in comments, it seems like some people might not be tuning in anymore after a couple of rougher episodes.

It's a shame because the last two episodes have been off the charts (the best since the Betsy Sodaro episode IMO).

• Like 1

I was VERY close to turning it off at the beginning, but I'm glad I didn't. This podcast almost always starts off slow and builds, that may turn off a lot of listeners.

I hope people don't miss this one. Judging from the decrease in comments, it seems like some people might not be tuning in anymore after a couple of rougher episodes.

It's a shame because the last two episodes have been off the charts (the best since the Betsy Sodaro episode IMO).

Yeah, I don't really know what the deal is with people not commenting, it could just be the holiday season. Even the episodes that have been a little slow were very listenable (to me). It's a weird format and Lauren is trying to do something different. Not every episode will be a home run but no matter what, it's cool that she has a platform to do exactly what she wants and to bring on people we haven't heard of.

FWIW, as someone who comments on most episodes (this show and others), I really liked this but not so much that I felt the need to mention it, and didn't have anything particularly interesting to say. Without existing histories for most of these characters and in some cases a lack of real laugh-out-loud moments, I just don't think there's much to say. I didn't realize until I just checked the forum page how many fewer comments this has than the other episodes.

• Like 1

Without existing histories for most of these characters...

This is a really good point that I never thought of. I love this show and I wake up happier than ever on Fridays solely because of this show. But I would love it even more if her characters were personalities that we had a feel for going into the episode. Maybe she will use these characters on CBB and create crazy storied backgrounds like Cake Boss and Traci Reardon have.

But also it is really early into the show, plus this episode was great. So I should probably just shut up and be happy that Lauren Lapkus has her own podcast.

Sign in to follow this