🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 329 — Too Much Tuna Tour

I think that was the saddest plug ever. For Mulaney. Also, I like picturing Paul F. Tompkins sitting at his computer, in his boxers and a t-shirt, wife asleep in the bed, going on Amazon, ordering Cantina band figures for Scott, and typing out "but dit dut dit duh dit duhhh b'dubba dubba dubit dowww dow."

• Like 4

"I think you already pooched it" is my new favorite way to say "Screwed the pooch." George & Gil's way of phrasing things is a huge delight. Their malapropisms, syllable emphasis, annunciation, and regional dialects are all amazing. Their shorthand for idioms is a real cherry on top.

• Like 1

What the hell happened to this guy in I thru IX, that he's got this much of a chip on his shoulder

Classic

Good episode. One thing to note: you can hear the awkwardness in Scott's chuckle while Nick and John rip on Bob Zmuda, the terrible unfunny (IMO) guest in episode 139 http://www.earwolf.c...ifton-was-here/

At what point are they trashing Zmuda? I missed it.

lmao those WTF burns were pretty sick. It's true though, he went through all the good guests really quick. Haven't listened in forever. He needs to start doing repeats.

At what point are they trashing Zmuda? I missed it.

John and Nick mention seeing Zmuda's "unironically" racist stage routine as Tony Clifton.

For a guy who has spent 30 years milking his own inferior version of Tony, he truly exhibits none of what made the character great when Andy did it.

• Like 1

It's possible, but I've never* gotten the impression that comedians are happy working for corporations. Comedians are traditionally self-sufficient businesspeople, responsible for booking their own shows, deciding when and where to tour, which projects to work on, etc. Being beholden to a network—and the requisite studio executives, notes, and deadlines—seems to naturally chafe.

On a similar note I remember watching a video of outtakes/stand up from Chappelle's show. During which they made Dave take off the hat he was wearing because it didn't look presentable. He tried on other hats and when he found the right one they argued with him about the positioning of the hat because it was covering too much of his eyes.

Seems stressful enough to have to write and shoot the show and keep the crowd entertained. Focusing on such minor details seems like it happens a lot and can be really cumbersome for comedians. I couldn't believe that they were bothering him so much over a hat. The man is a brilliant comedian (my personal favorite) and he shouldn't have to be concerned with anything other than being funny while hosting and creating his show.

The incident starts at aprox 6:10 in this link if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dES1sFlxoOc

• Like 1

I think the Hollywood facts theme needs to be updated to the 10 minute clip of Scott, Samberg and Lapkus trying to learn all the words.

It will be yours soon.

• Like 3

NICKRRROLL, CUCURRICU!!!

I miss Chupa and Baby's telephone conversations.

• Like 2

lmao those WTF burns were pretty sick. It's true though, he went through all the good guests really quick. Haven't listened in forever. He needs to start doing repeats.

Yeah... Richard Linklater, Paul Thomas Anderson, Melissa Etheridge, St. Vincent, Jenny Slate, Chrissie Hynde, Norman Lear... really shitty guests over the past couple of months. Let me guess... needs more comedians and comedic actors, because those are in such large demand blah blah blah

Yeah... David Linklater, Paul Thomas Anderson, Melissa Etheridge, St. Vincent, Jenny Slate, Chrissie Hynde, Norman Lear... really shitty guests over the past couple of months. Let me guess... needs more comedians and comedic actors, because those are in such large demand blah blah blah

The Richard Linklater ep was good, but I haven't listened to the one with his brother David

• Like 2

He was there to promote his new movie. It was a coming-of-age story about a mayfly- took him a whole day to film.

• Like 2

The Richard Linklater ep was good, but I haven't listened to the one with his brother David

Ha... nice catch. Fingers moving faster than the brain.

^ Oh, hello.

This is so good. I only wish i got more of the references. I feel like you have to be a real New Yorker in your 50s or 60s to get them all. Bless their commitment to these characters. George and Gil cannot go away. They should pitch Oh, Hello as a series to HBO or something.

Unrelated, there seems to be a vocal minority of commenters out there hell bent on exposing some sort of Kroll conspiracy, as if to say Nick's billionaire dad bought him his career. It's super weird.