🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 215 — Rhythms of Society

I loved the Gyllenhaal/Swift improv. Loved Andy talking about how things aren't fun. I just straight-up love Andy Daly. He's delightful.

• Like 6

So Andy is a sincere fan of Sha Na Na? I always just kind of assumed he was referencing a fairly obscure (based on today's relevancy) band for comedic purpose.

I loathe pop music, but even a cynical curmudgeon such as myself can get behind "Uptown Funk." It's not like it's the greatest song ever, but it is fun. Plus it's refreshing to hear actual instruments in pop music.

• Like 3

I'd forgotten all about Bono's influence on Patrick McMahon!

https://www.youtube....utu.be&t=19m54s

(19:54 in case I didn't add the time stamp to the URL correctly)

I haven't clicked on the link, but I'm assuming it's that footage where Bono says "I'll tell ya a story 'bout Johnny McGory..."

• Like 3

I'm kind of with the crew on Bruno Mars. He is the most boring talented person ever. My peak Bruno enjoyment was when he played drums for Janelle Monae like 5 years ago. And I'm pretty sure that was mostly just excess Janelle charisma spilling over in his direction. He is unquestionably a technically skilled fella, but his stuff is just so bland and soulless.

• Like 2

I'm kind of with the crew on Bruno Mars. He is the most boring talented person ever. My peak Bruno enjoyment was when he played drums for Janelle Monae like 5 years ago. And I'm pretty sure that was mostly just excess Janelle charisma spilling over in his direction. He is unquestionably a technically skilled fella, but his stuff is just so bland and soulless.

Yeah I kinda just hate his smug face. He comes across as squeaky clean and his lyrics seem to portray him as having more of an edge, and I just don't buy it. However I do really like "Locked Out Of Heaven", even if it is a Police soundalike/ripoff. And I sorta like "Uptown Funk", but it totally feels like another ripoff of some funk band. Someone on the SoundCloud comments pointed out Morris Day and the Time, which sounds about right.

• Like 3

Yeah I kinda just hate his smug face. He comes across as squeaky clean and his lyrics seem to portray him as having more of an edge, and I just don't buy it. However I do really like "Locked Out Of Heaven", even if it is a Police soundalike/ripoff. And I sorta like "Uptown Funk", but it totally feels like another ripoff of some funk band. Someone on the SoundCloud comments pointed out Morris Day and the Time, which sounds about right.

Well don't hate him for being squeaky clean and you thinking he thinks he has more of an edge. I remember hearing he was busted for coke or some other hard drug a year or few before coming on the music scene, so he isn't squeaky clean. I can't blame him for playing the part while trying to be a massive pop star, gotta keep the scandals to a minimum unless you just shoot the moon and go over the top with them

Well don't hate him for being squeaky clean and you thinking he thinks he has more of an edge. I remember hearing he was busted for coke or some other hard drug a year or few before coming on the music scene, so he isn't squeaky clean. I can't blame him for playing the part while trying to be a massive pop star, gotta keep the scandals to a minimum unless you just shoot the moon and go over the top with them

Eh. He could use the street cred. :P I guess he's not as squeaky clean as I thought then, but thats still not that edgy. Everyone gets arrested with drugs! Let me know when he's shot someone.

• Like 1

The one when Armen was subbing in for Howard and Matt Besser was the guest was my favorite ep of this show. Besser was just relentlessly putting pressure on Armen and it created this amazing back-and-forth.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this