🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 102 — Tango & Cash

Nick Kroll breaks the return guest record as he joins Paul, June, and Jason to discuss Stallone & Russell as mismatched cops in Tango & Cash. They'll cover everything from cross dressing Kurt Russell, Jack Palance's master plan, 80s boobs, the newspaper headlines, and the will they, won’t they high-five relationship Sly & Kurt share onscreen. Plus, we find out if the ladies out there really do enjoy Stallone & Russell’s shower scene during 2nd Opinions!

wow, it took a Kroll guest spot to get me to listen to my first ep in a while, but I'm jazzed up by that amazing new intro song

Does anyone else like to always watch the movie before listening? I had a good streak of getting the movies and watching, but just not enough time lately and none of the movies they've done have been memorable enough to me to think I could follow along.

• Like 2

I disagree with June on the butt shot. I was very excited to see Kurt Russell's behind (frankly everyone should be)! :P

Kurt Russell's boot gun. I don't even know where to start, it got a quick mention but that might be one of the most insane things in the movie. let's just for a moment ignore the fact that he only uses it once in the entire movie, i guess it's to set up that there are insane james bond like gadgets in this world so its less weird when the visit the Q lab but how the fuck does that even work? wouldn't the recoil just snap his ankle in half? also, the movie shows that Owen is terrible at hiding guns in things, he can't even install a gun in a stuffed animal without it exploding and we're to believe he can put a gun in a heel of a boot that Kurt Russell is running and jumping around in without it blowing his foot off accidentally?

• Like 3

Does anyone else like to always watch the movie before listening? I had a good streak of getting the movies and watching, but just not enough time lately and none of the movies they've done have been memorable enough to me to think I could follow along.

Does anyone else never watch the movie before and still love this show? Just wondering if I'm the only one out there

• Like 9

Does anyone else never watch the movie before and still love this show? Just wondering if I'm the only one out there

I never watch the movies unless I just stumble across them. But I have watched them later and relistened to the podcast. I have yet to be "lost".

The new intro song is A-MAZE-EING!!

• Like 4

Damnit I was hoping to be able to get to rewatching Tango & Cash before the episode dropped, I probably would have even had a zinger prepared to express this thought if I had.

• Like 1

Very slight omission: I was surprised they didn't talk about the inordinate number of times that the two main characters refer to each other as "Tango" & "Cash." It's almost like one guy can can't talk the other without addressing him by his last name.

• Like 4

Wow! There is a lot to unpack on this one, I don't even know where to begin. This could easily have been HDTGM's first two-parter.

First of all, for me, this movie felt obliquely off-putting. It was like going over to a couple's house for dinner, and even though they are acting civil with one another, you can tell some shit is going on beneath the surface. The best way I could describe it is to say it was the visual representation of a long form non sequitur.

I will say this though, the audio guy was definitely the top in his field. Do you want to know how I know? When splicing the tape together, he managed to put in a lame joke about cops being "human garbage just like everyone else" right at the end--y'know just to make it extra clear that the people he is dealing with are in fact cops. I appreciate the extra effort this must have taken to splice this exact sequence of words together to make it feel all the more authentic. Next time I need to to frame someone by way of audio evidence, I've got my guy.

Also, based on the overly elaborate "game" Palance employs to get rid of Tango & Cash, I think his character is more the poor man's Frank Gorshin, than Jack Nicholson.

frank_gorshin_riddler4.jpg

How great would it be, if after years of being thwarted by Batman in Gotham, the Riddler had relocated to Los Angeles to spend his golden years drug smuggling and arms dealing? Now that's a fucking movie!

I watched this last night and haven't heard this episode yet but I hope they bring up the amazing editing in this movie. The .5 seconds of a motorcycle driving away on the stage at the club and the explosion at the FBI agents house were two examples that stuck out to me as being so bizarre they could have been explained as magical realism in a movie that was actually well made.

• Like 2

Nick Kroll:Stallone::Pete Holmes:Pacino

I loved June's giggling during the new theme.

• Like 9

Even after the effort to re-edit the film to try to rescue it, they still couldn't manage to explain how blowing up all the evidence somehow cleared them of the murder charge that they've already been convicted of. But, I guess you don't go to a Stallone movie expecting the plot to make sense.

• Like 4

I'm surprised no one mentioned the rain-drenched zip-line scene, where Kurt Russell uses his belt - which is apparently made out of adamantium since it's impervious to sheering in half from the friction - to slide down a sparks-a-flyin’ powerline.

The slow motion run-up is great, but the moment he makes contact with the wire and doesn’t get fried is pure 80’s gold - complete with exhale musical score to let you know everything’s a-okay.

• Like 6

Is anyone else ever surprised by Paul's mispronunciations of actor's names? For someone who I assume has listened to all episodes of Serial and has heard her name multiple times, it was a bit odd to hear him say "koe-nig" instead of "kay-nig." Also, I'm pretty sure he was screwing up Palance as well.

• Like 2

Quick correction. The article in the paper at the end that June was talking about was about children dressing for "excess", not "success" and it was about kids buying $100 Air Jordans.

• Like 4

You appreciate 80s boobs.

I appreciate 80s boobs.

We all appreciate 80s boobs.

But only ShowYouSuck wrote and performed a song in tribute to 80s boobs:

"You got boobs like an 80s movie."

DIG IT!

-- MrJM

• Like 1

I'm surprised no one mentioned the rain-drenched zip-line scene, where Kurt Russell uses his belt - which is apparently made out of adamantium since it's impervious to sheering in half from the friction - to slide down a sparks-a-flyin’ powerline.

The slow motion run-up is great, but the moment he makes contact with the wire and doesn’t get fried is pure 80’s gold - complete with exhale musical score to let you know everything’s a-okay.

Never seen the movie, but this was the one part of the film I kind of knew about from its repeated reference on its Always Sunny. "if you jump into the air, you wont be electrocuted unless youre still holding on to it when you touch the ground, I saw it in Tango & Cash" "So I'm supposed to risk my life, based on something you saw in the movie Tango & Cash?" ".... Kurt Russell did it...."

• Like 8

Never purposely screened a movie before an episode, it's in the round tuit pile for me. Of course I love the show anyway.

• Like 1

only a bit more than halfway done but please please please never review another stallone movie without Kroll there. Him doing theoretical off camera lines the whole way is killing me

• Like 4

There are two things that happen in the first scene of the movie that kill me: 1) Had the semi drivers just kept going they would have plowed right through Sly and gotten away, with only two bullet holes in the window and the smeared remains of his body stuck in the grille. And 2) Jack Palance drove by the bust as it was happening. That means that this huge kingpin drug dealer (?) keeps such a close eye on his thugs that he shadows them as they do his bidding. Didn't the chopper that was following the chase notice the stretch limo speeding behind the semi and Sly's car?!

This movie also includes yet another scene of Sly insulting someone's eating habits. In Over the Top it was too much ketchup, in Rhinestone he's anti-sushi, and in Cobra he's not a fan of pizza. Now in Tango & Cash his target is spaghetti, which according to him is a sure fire sign that someone is not counting their calories.

Side note: In response to whether or not we watch before listening, I always watch the movie beforehand. I don't think it's necessary, but is fun to watch trying to guess which parts will delight Paul, offend June and turn on Jason.

• Like 5