🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
darthyoshiboy

Ishtar

The movie so bad that it has been used as all of the following in other media:

The only movie playing in Hell's theater as a method of torture in a children's animated show.

Famously from Gary Larson, the only film available in Hell's video store.

An explosive bomb like weapon in The Animaniacs.

The movie stared Warren Beatty and Dustin Hoffman, with Charles Grodin and Carol Kane also in the cast. Bette Midler, Susanna Hoffs, Emilio Estevez, Heather Locklear, Jane Seymour, O.J. Simpson, Penny Marshall, Robert Stack, Sally Struthers, Tom Cruise & Mimi Rogers all showed up to the 1987 premiere. It seems like it should be a great pedigree. Yet, it seems to constantly get berated as one of the worst movies ever (see the above as a sample of the portrayal it has gotten in media.)

I've never seen the movie myself, but i've encountered so much in my life that has said that it was perhaps the worst movie ever made so I've really never wanted to. However, I don't think that should mean that we don't allow Paul, June, and Jason to find out if the legends are true by making them watch it.

I have seen the movie, and it's as bad as its reputation suggests. The comedy is pretty leaden, and at times borders on racist (seeing Dustin Hoffman yelling gibberish as he tries to act like he's auctioning off weapons to terrorists is a sight I will never forget, no matter how hard I try). Oddly, a lot of people recently have tried to claim it's an underrated classic. They are wrong.

Ishtar also sunk Elaine May's directing career, where other than writing credits for The Birdcage and Primary Colors, she would never helm another movie again after this film's failure.

I tried watching it several years ago, but couldn't get far because it was so slow and boring. No sure that's a good fit for HDTGM.

Ishtar also sunk Elaine May's directing career, where other than writing credits for The Birdcage and Primary Colors, she would never helm another movie again after this film's failure.

Of course, she hadn't directed anything in over ten years by that point, and only got the job because Warren Beatty thought she deserved another chance. (Whereupon she immediately resumed her overly perfectionist habits, contributing to the movie's bloated budget.) It's like somebody raised the Titanic, only to accidentally press the wrong button and have it sink down to the ocean floor again.

I remember reading that Gary Larson hadn't seen Ishtar when he made the "Hell's Video Store" comic strip and that when he did see it he enjoyed it and felt that his joke was unwaranted.

I don't remember this movie being terrible, mostly just mediocre. It's a much funnier punchline when you know less about it.

Sign in to follow this