🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
agata

Episode 68 — Erin Gibson, Our Close Friend

All this stand up talk reminds me of the time I did stand up.

I was in New York back in the early '90s and found myself in a comedy club. There was supposed to be this big star there doing jokes or whatever but he never showed up, so the owner of the club came up to me and asked if I wanted to take his place. I warned him that I had never done jokes before but he said I was so good-looking and cool that he was sure I could do it.

Anyway, I got up and improvised a totally rando observ that slayed. Then I followed up with a one-two gut punch of bazonko killer funnies, and one guy died of laughing too much. Then there was a guy at the side of the stage and he was on the phone saying "Chris! Chris, it's Marvin. Your cousin, Marvin Rock. You know that new sound you're looking for? Well, listen to this!". They wanted me to sign for Deaf Jam or something but I didn't want to because comedy isn't art.

This is the funniest thing I've read all week.

• Like 2

Why go to a club when we have Chanson?

I don't think I talk about most of those things.

• Like 3

For reals though, I hope the popcorn gallery continues. I have no other outlets in my life where I can riff and make joke questions based on someone's imdb page.

(Note to self: produce comedy night where comedians make jokes about their own or someone else's imdb page)

• Like 9

I don't think I talk about most of those things.

We read between the lines.

• Like 1

Popcorn Gallery is the truth. Please don't go away forever like every other thing I've loved!

• Like 2

Popcorn Gallery is the truth. Please don't go away forever like every other thing I've loved!

Jacob, buddy...are you ok? You're sleeping for nearly 24 hours. You're talking about how everything you love leaves you. This is a safe space. You can talk to us here.

Jacob, buddy...are you ok? You're sleeping for nearly 24 hours. You're talking about how everything you love leaves you. This is a safe space. You can talk to us here.

Haha I'm ok, promise. I mean, yes, I sleep for 24 hours and sure, everything I love leaves me. But I'm ok!

Nah I'm fine. I didn't really sleep for that long I was just joshin' (Jake-in'?)

• Like 1

Should we all tell stories of how we first discovered Hollywood Handbook and our initial reaction and aftermath? That should cheer everyone up. Or should we save that for a Hangout?

• Like 5

Should we all tell stories of how we first discovered Hollywood Handbook and our initial reaction and aftermath? That should cheer everyone up. Or should we save that for a Hangout?

I first discovered HH just from being a fan of other Earwolf shows. I think I either heard an ad on another show or saw it on the website. I didn't start listening until a few episodes had already come out, but I started with episode 1. I must admit that I wasn't in love right away. But I kept listening. It was the Adam Pally episode that really got me hooked.

• Like 1

lol Matt Besser just made two chatbots pass the Turing test when he got so mad thinking people had written them a script in preparation since they were trying to be funny.

I tried talking to them on their forums but man what a ghost-town. They get listens? hard to believe

• Like 1

I got into the Cracked podcast, which was my first podcast, then found i4h and HH through that. After a few episodes of HH where they kept referencing RSS in the ads I stopped and listened to all of RSS. I loved HH since the beginning; Jake Johnson is still one of my favourite guests.

Doug Loves Movies --> Comedy Death Ray --> Comedy Bang! Bang! & Earwolf --> RSS --> Hollywood Handbook.

That's how things happened.

When I first started The Reality SHOW Show I thought it would all go over my head, since I don't watch any American reality TV, but the clips did the job for me and it was hilarious. It was an easy enough transition into Hollywood Handbook.

I know no one ever gets serious on this forum, but just for one second I wanna say that this show is a really special thing. Hayes and Sean are eventually going to be discovered and become God damn superstars and Steffi will be left in their wake and that's sad, but honestly, I'm thinking these guys could get big. Like, Mariska Hargitay big, and for now it's like its our own little club. And it's beautiful.

I won't be listening again next week.

~thinkofthechildren

• Like 11

I discovered this show when they stopped The Reality SHOW show and my life felt like it was ending.

• Like 6

yes and I know that sincerity is for pages 1-3 but since thinkofthechildren jus did it, I wanna say that this ep was REAL solid -- erin gibson was rull clevr, and hayzie bone had some pretty impressive fast ones....

….but even though i listened to the episode yesterday – i’m still waiting for one of the boys to make a superfast 4g joke. i saw it comin and I was like o u dirti dirti dogzz -- GIVE IT 2 ME RUFFF -- but it never came. I luv mai boiz but the only plausible explanation is a hamburger sandwich in the mouth.

anyone who doesn’t know what I’m talking about needs to go 2 church >>>

http://www.earwolf.c...e/superfast-4g/

• Like 9

oh and to answer bozos' question -- I discovered the reality show show in its 2nd week on the iTunes comedy charts. number freakin 1 if I remember correctly...either way -- I had never heard another earwolf podcast (and up until recently, refused to do so) and was immediately taken with S + H. so taken, in fact, that I created a parody podcast called the reality show show show. S + H became big fans and they called me their grasshopper and they said now that you're a grasshopper you can fly. and I did. I flew so high. I flew so high that S + H became the grasshopper for a moment. the reality show show show had eclipsed its predecessor and scott anchorman was having none of it. he was after this grasshopper. he was like I WANT THIS GRASSHOPPER DEAD!! only I wasn't a grasshopper anymore -- I was a blackbelt -- second degree denzel -- chopping down racial barriers like bertier and Julius. I was the titans and scott anchorman was like the rich kids from the sandlot -- SO I STOLE HIS THEME SONG. and started cruising on my bike to booker t and the mg's .. kk I gotta get back to work. superbowl's comin' up. love everyone. sean and hayes are the best podcasters -- I take it all back.

• Like 12

CBB, I4H --> superego --> Matt Gourley ep--> all remaining eps--> lurked in forums and thought "if someone like Chanson can thrive in this environment, then I can definitely wow these nerds with my grammar knowledge and pedantry"--> jump cut to my current life as top funny forum commenter with an average of almost 2.7 likes per post.

• Like 9

Started listening to podcasts again in early 2014 after being abused and abandoned by MATES and the Tompkast. Started listening to Comedy Bang! Bang! despite not being a fan of the TV show. Can't remember why, exactly. Realized all these comedians and actors I admired--(Adam Scott, Pally, Andy Daly, Zouks, Paul F., Ben Schwartz, Lapkus, Peretti) had this outlet I was completely ignorant of. Started searching for every Ben Schwartz and Adam Scott podcast appearance I could find after running out of i4h and CBB episodes. Saw Hollywood Handbook, saw that Grace Helbig had an episode. Listened to it, loved the tone. Exactly my type of humor. Listened to all of them over the course of the weekend before the Engineers episode. The rest is herstory. Wish I had been around and aware during the RSS era.

Mmm. Yes. Likes per post. Classic stat. I definitely do not look at that and live and die by it and it definitely does not affect my mood.

• Like 7

Started with serious podcasts like This American Life, Radiolab, etc as well as the Bugle years ago. Eventually started listening to DLM, which got me turned on to CBB, HDTGM and Who Charted. Heard the commercials on CBB for HH when it was starting, and thought it sounded dumb, but eventually had a friend make me listen and got hooked.

• Like 1

Y'all post a lot. I need to hit them drills if I'm gonna keep up with this. There were like 4 new pages since I went to sleep!

Yeah, seriously. I can't keep up with this madness.

CBB, I4H --> superego --> Matt Gourley ep--> all remaining eps--> lurked in forums and thought "if someone like Chanson can thrive in this environment, then I can definitely wow these nerds with my grammar knowledge and pedantry"--> jump cut to my current life as top funny forum commenter with an average of almost 2.7 likes per post.

Thrive is a strong term.

• Like 2