🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
crag

Partners (1982)

Ryan O'Neal is a womanizing cop who against his will is partnered with the only gay cop on the force, a sullen lilac-track-suit-wearing queer from the office pool. They go undercover as a gay couple and venture into the gay community to solve a series of murders. Poor leather-clad Ryan has to endure being looked over and felt up by all sorts of creepy men. I think the people that made this thought they were being tolerant and encouraging tolerance of gays, but what they thought people should be tolerant of was every creepy stereotype you could ever have about gays. There isn't a gay in this entire movie who isn't portrayed as some sort of alien. I saw it in the theater back when it came out and even then it made my skin crawl.

The director, James Burrows, hated working this movie. He then went back to his original job, directing sitcoms, and proceeded to work on some of the most successful shows of the 80s and 90s ("Cheers," "Friends," "Will & Grace"). I read a book on NBC where somebody described this movie as the best thing to happen to sitcoms because he refused to do another movie after it.

Hilariously, he also went on to direct episodes of two different sitcoms called "Partners." Both of which were flops.