🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 102.5 — Minisode 102.5

So, what HDTGM movie do we think involved the MOST drugs in its creation and production?

I think that it has to be between Zardoz and Xanadu, although if we are including steroids as a drug then Over the Top has an edge.

• Like 2

We should really start taking bets on these kinds of things. For instance, what's the over/under on the number of times June refers to this movie as "upsetting?"

I think we could have a group project, and make an epic list of all of the things that have been upsetting to June.

• Like 1

I know the show is free and all, but I really want to listen to this one. I have been checking obsessively. When will I get to hear what Paul, June, and Jason make of the batsh*t banana-cheese that is this movie? I like some elements of the film, and I think I see what they were going for, though they missed their mark by about a light year. The mankini, the rape scene(s!), the heavy-handed symbolism, the florid hand gestures - the insanity of this movie is not so much tylical of Surrealism as it is typical of a fever dream.

• Like 1

We can only assume this movie had mentally destroyed our hosts.

Jason is probably running around in his red leather diaper talking about the penis being evil.

June and Paul are dead skeletons in a cave.

• Like 4

We can only assume this movie had mentally destroyed our hosts.

Jason is probably running around in his red leather diaper talking about the penis being evil.

June and Paul are dead skeletons in a cave.

Jason probably came TO DEATH.

I finished watching Zardoz today and by far it's the BEST HDTGM movie I've watched. It's super ambitious with it's crazy sci-fi story, I love the idea of these goofy immortal people who yearn to die but can't and I appreciated the technical achievement of the projector computer rings, back in the 70s that's not an easy thing to pull off and they did a good job. It's a good looking flick.

It's fucking balls-out crazy bananas too but that's why it's on the podcast. I can't wait for this fucker to drop, I'm working overnight and I'll be refreshing the page until it appears!

• Like 1

It would be nice if they gave us an expectation of when it might happen — I iTunesed this movie the day it was announced, and have since read the Wiki and listened to the commentary and Googled the crap out of it. What I'm saying is that I'm well-versed. On freaking ZARDOZ. I'm ready for the collective purge of this thing.

ETA: OMGZ IT'S BEEN RECORDED YOU GUYS

• Like 1

It would be nice if they gave us an expectation of when it might happen — I iTunesed this movie the day it was announced, and have since read the Wiki and listened to the commentary and Googled the crap out of it. What I'm saying is that I'm well-versed. On freaking ZARDOZ. I'm ready for the collective purge of this thing.

ETA: OMGZ IT'S BEEN RECORDED YOU GUYS

My expectation has always been they will be released on their normal drop day (i.e. Fridays). There have been occasions when they are a little late and put it out the next Monday, but for the most part I think they try to remain consistent. However in this case, since it has already been recorded, they may give us a pre-Valentine's Day gift and release it tomorrow, but I wouldn't necessarily count on that.

Bottom line: If they don't have an episode on Friday, I wouldn't expect one until the next Friday. If it comes earlier than that, try to take that joy you feel at receiving such a wonderful, unexpected gift and share it with everyone you meet! This is the answer to world peace people!!! I will gladly share my Nobel Prize with everyone on the forums :)

I am so glad HDTGM is doing "Zardoz". One of the first "bad" movies I subjected myself too. Its going to be funny and weird for sure. #TMCMs @movieclubmovies

My expectation has always been they will be released on their normal drop day (i.e. Fridays).

They've been so inconsistent for so long (let's face it, there hasn't been any even semi-extended period of consistent releases since before they originally changed the schedule) that I've dropped all expectations, and I've learned to be fine with that. I don't expect the show to come out on a certain day, or even every week, but it inevitably shows up at some point and I think "Oh, that's nice."

• Like 2

They've been so inconsistent for so long (let's face it, there hasn't been any even semi-extended period of consistent releases since before they originally changed the schedule) that I've dropped all expectations, and I've learned to be fine with that. I don't expect the show to come out on a certain day, or even every week, but it inevitably shows up at some point and I think "Oh, that's nice."

That was more or less my point, although I may not have articulated it properly.

Like you, I have zero expectations. I just enjoy them as they come. My response was really to Paul T.'s statement, "It would be nice if they gave us an expectation of when it might happen" and a couple of other posters who said they were checking everyday for the Zardoz episode. Scheer has stated that the intention is to release episodes on Fridays. So, if for whatever reason they miss a Friday (and we all know that happens), no one from HDTGM should really have to provide us with an "expectation" for when it will happen, because they already have: next Friday...probably.

If they manage to get it out sooner than that, that's great, I'm just saying I wouldn't count on them dropping an episode mid-week to make up for a missed release date.

• Like 1

Right, I think we were reaching the same conclusion and taking slightly different paths to get there. Part of my acceptance/indifference is that there are (in most cases multiple) other Earwolf shows released on every single weekday that fill up my podcast listening time just fine.

• Like 2

I remember watching Zardoz during college with a bunch of buddies. Prior to starting it, one of my (drunken) friends pontificated that Sean Connery was incapable of making a bad move.

When the show was over, the same guy looked around and meekly said, "Whoa, that was weird and awful."

I get it, and am looking forward to tomorrow's episode helping to ease some airport tedium. Normally I don't care, but as soon as he said "Sean Connery, orange underwear" I got psyched for this one, because I remember watching Zardoz with a bunch of friends about 10 years ago, and enjoyed revisiting this bizarre thing. I don't usually get cranky about episodes coming late -- they've got lives, careers, what-have-you -- I just want me some Zardoz-rationalizing.

• Like 1

I thought this movie was pretty bad. It felt like a shitty play that Corky St. Clair would have had his quirky little paw in.

• Like 1

I thought this movie was pretty bad. It felt like a shitty play that Corky St. Clair would have had his quirky little paw in.

It's like the "how many babies fit in a tire?" thing, the old joke...

It's like the "how many babies fit in a tire?" thing, the old joke...

I'm gonna...I'm gonna go home and bite my pillow! That's what I'm gonna do!

• Like 1