🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode IV - A New Hope

Jerry C. Minor pays a friendly visit to Horatio's basement and we hit the record button. Nothing is held back as we explore how to understand things if they're tweeted by Artie Lange, what could possibly go wrong when interviewing Ferguson witnesses and why Camille would defend her husband. Chad's parents call in to the Hooray Line and they have some concerns. J.J. Abrams still doesn't call back, but there is always hope...

"Look, I haven't laughed since 1972." Jerry Minor is ridiculously underrated. Really loved hearing him and Horatio go back and forth. Wish I could learn about the bad things going on in the world from them, they manage to take a lot of the sting out of it.

On a vaguely related note, I really miss hearing Jerry as Cyber Thug.

• Like 9

"Look, I haven't laughed since 1972." Jerry Minor is ridiculously underrated. Really loved hearing him and Horatio go back and forth. Wish I could learn about the bad things going on in the world from them, they manage to take a lot of the sting out of it.

Yea, I did a spit take at that line then the following "It's not about the homos! It's about the sign!"

Jerry Minor is a gift to mankind(and the ladies WOOOWOOOWOOOWOOO)

Huge megafan of Mr. Show too and its ever so comforting to hear them nerd out about it. Once again the interview being broken up and framed via Raj and Chad made the pacing really lovely. Warming up to Chad, and exactly as he pointed out Raj and Jerry really get real. They juggle those grim tones with humor so well. Like the indomitable Calvin Twins once said "You gotta laugh".

As you mentioned HipsterNonsense, having those two deliver bad news is incredibly palatable and at some level therapeutic. Assuming they could keep this same chemistry while high on dabs, they could start a news podcast and call it "Hashing It Out".

• Like 5

Laughed so hard I started to cry during the preacher thing, 'Please! Just do what white people say to do!'

• Like 4

True story; just yesterday I had the thought, "Oh man; it's been a few days since I heard Horatio Sans in a podcast. DANGIT!" This is almost perfect timing xD

* - heard the last Hooray Show, like, a week ago, and then the Dead Author's Podcast with Horatio 2 days ago. I highly suggest anyone who hasn't heard it give it a listen; Paul F. Tompkins and Horatio Sanz, in character as H.G. Wells and the author of Don Quixote, Miguel de Cervantes? But not really because they hardly talk about the book and basically just go along with Horatio's amazing backstory and details for the guy? With accents!?! BRILLIANT!

I love the Hooray Show! Keep it up

• Like 6

I posted this in the previous thread, but Horatio plugged this last night on Seth. Even mentioned Earwolf and everything.

• Like 4

Jerry was a great guest, would like to hear him on Improv4Humans sometime.

Definitely some great material on Cosby, police brutality, and Artie Lange's rape fantasies hahaha.

Also enjoyed that little "racial divide has been healed" trance segment.

And lastly, Chad, for god's sake, just wear a rubber!

• Like 5

Assuming they could keep this same chemistry while high on dabs, they could start a news podcast and call it "Hashing It Out".

*cough* *cough*

• Like 3

I'm liking the format of the Hooray Show. It really plays to Horatio Sanz's strengths and lets him be funny in a natural way.

And Jerry Minor should have his own podcast--he's great.

• Like 2

Really fun episode. The "Chad's parents" segments were a great use of the cutting back-and-forth format.

• Like 1

Goddamnit Jerry Minor is so funny. This was me during the preacher story...

tumblr_mk8gx37TPg1rdzuduo2_250.gif

Chaddy!! I've promoted you to Host status so you are super official now.

Thanks for making such a fun show and for participating in the forums. The shows with hosts on the board are the most fun. Keep up the super work!

• Like 10

And Jerry Minor should have his own podcast--he's great.

The pubic is clamoring for a CYBERTHUG TAKEOVER!

• Like 3

jerry minor was so so good

also i didnt know he was from flint, maybe he and i have been in the same halo burger at the same time

• Like 3

This show is shaping up amazingly! I'm really digging it.

I want to explain my personal experience from when I listened to the first episode. I was reticent due to fearing the format of the show would not hook me. That nagging bug was my frame of reference for the format—Denis Leary's second comedy album, Lock 'n Load. All the tracks go between bits of stand-up, comedy songs, sketches, etc, with loud radio-scanning sound effects and audio drops. A lot of the tracks themselves were fairly all over the place, and the album as a whole severely lacked cohesion (personal opinion, of course. different strokes, etc). I did not particularly enjoy that entire album from 14 years ago. Some good bits on it I would re-listen to, but I could never sit through the whole thing.

So when the first Hooray Show episode dropped and there were radio effects and cutting between interviews and bits, I got a little anxious, as I wanted to like the podcast and feared I wouldn't as my brain flashed back to me 14 years ago wanting to like that comedy album. I wasn't anxious for long, as I really enjoyed the content, and was mindful that pilot episodes of anything are not what the show is cemented in stone as, it's just the starting point. The band-aid has to get pulled off in order to jump in and make the thing you see in your head a reality.

Anyway, now what little hang-ups/doubt I was bringing to the table have been completely obliterated as the show gets more episodes under its belt. We have a good show on our hands here. The format services the content, it keeps the sketches and conversations lively, it's a great length, and all in all I have cemented it as a staple of my podcast subscriptions.

Much love to the Hooray Show. I'm happy I got to put to bed my little, ridiculous hang-up.

• Like 2

He's a long-legged mack-daddy! First time we saw him was with some big old tits! OOOOBBBAAAAMMMMMAAA!!!

• Like 1

The pubic is clamoring for a CYBERTHUG TAKEOVER!

One of the best moments in CBB history was him doing the rap and asking the group (Scott, PFT, I can't remember who else) ....Do you like....MOOONNNNEEEYYYY? And the mumbled response from everyone of 'Yeah, yes?'.

• Like 2

One of the best moments in CBB history was him doing the rap and asking the group (Scott, PFT, I can't remember who else) ....Do you like....MOOONNNNEEEYYYY? And the mumbled response from everyone of 'Yeah, yes?'.

seriously every time I see Jerry's name my brain automatically starts singing, "Up in the club, rollin on dubs, sippin champagne, doin my thang, poppin bottles with top models in the veeeeee eeyyyeee peeeeeeee."

Best song ever. Here it is for anyone who missed out on this golden moment of comedy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B5ZYyVezQM

La Cañada Flintridge 20% contaaained

• Like 10

Oh man this made me laugh so hard:

"Did you get the gift certifi-"

"Yeah did you get the gift certificate?"

That was like every conversation with my mom from age 22-30.

• Like 3

seriously every time I see Jerry's name my brain automatically starts singing, "Up in the club, rollin on dubs, sippin champagne, doin my thang, poppin bottles with top models in the veeeeee eeyyyeee peeeeeeee."

Best song ever. Here it is for anyone who missed out on this golden moment of comedy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B5ZYyVezQM

La Cañada Flintridge 20% contaaained

A MILLION THANK YOUS FOR POSTING THIS!

• Like 2

This show is shaping up amazingly! I'm really digging it.

I want to explain my personal experience from when I listened to the first episode. I was reticent due to fearing the format of the show would not hook me. That nagging bug was my frame of reference for the format—Denis Leary's second comedy album, Lock 'n Load. All the tracks go between bits of stand-up, comedy songs, sketches, etc, with loud radio-scanning sound effects and audio drops. A lot of the tracks themselves were fairly all over the place, and the album as a whole severely lacked cohesion (personal opinion, of course. different strokes, etc). I did not particularly enjoy that entire album from 14 years ago. Some good bits on it I would re-listen to, but I could never sit through the whole thing.

So when the first Hooray Show episode dropped and there were radio effects and cutting between interviews and bits, I got a little anxious, as I wanted to like the podcast and feared I wouldn't as my brain flashed back to me 14 years ago wanting to like that comedy album. I wasn't anxious for long, as I really enjoyed the content, and was mindful that pilot episodes of anything are not what the show is cemented in stone as, it's just the starting point. The band-aid has to get pulled off in order to jump in and make the thing you see in your head a reality.

Anyway, now what little hang-ups/doubt I was bringing to the table have been completely obliterated as the show gets more episodes under its belt. We have a good show on our hands here. The format services the content, it keeps the sketches and conversations lively, it's a great length, and all in all I have cemented it as a staple of my podcast subscriptions.

Much love to the Hooray Show. I'm happy I got to put to bed my little, ridiculous hang-up.

Good to hear! I'll give you a little inside baseball around that radio effect. I may have explained it in a previous thread, but I'll repeat it here and add to it.

When we first started talking about doing a podcast, we sat down on a Saturday and wrote the Ebola Soup bit from episode one as our first sketch. It was funny and it made us laugh. When I sat down to turn it into a production piece (adding the music, the sound of it being on a record, the 1950's EQ etc...) I added that radio scan to get us in and out of it so we could send it off as a stand alone piece.

Our next idea for episode one (the pilot) was to frame the whole thing in a War of the Worlds bit. We were going to do a running joke that we were stuck in the basement because we thought the world was coming to an end because we fired up this old radio and blah blah blah.... It doesn't matter. But what does matter is that the radio tuning effect as well as the top and bottom of the show (Orson Welles) made it onto the final cut because it began to serve a purpose for that episode.

Now cut to episode 2. My intention was to not use the radio effect at all. It was an episode one thing and I didn't want to use it anymore. I don't think it is a very creative or original way to edit an audio show. The original edit of episode 2 didn't have one single radio effect in it. And something didn't work... The show suddenly became MORE confusing without that hard edit at times. So I put a few back in there sparingly when I thought the show needed a reset or a quick shift.

I then thought about using a different effect. In the end though, our concept behind this show is to throw back to the days of groups of friends, gathering around the radio to listen to their favorite show. By the way, the proper way to listen to this show is with friends, in a dark room, on a kickass stereo and do what you gotta do.

As the shows go on, you will notice that effect being used less and less, although I suspect it will always be the first thing you hear on every episode.

I empathize with you that a Dennis Leary album can haunt you 14 years later and I hope the Hooray Show can serve as some sort of replacement therapy for your traumatic experience. I also find it hilarious that I may have unintentionally ripped off Dennis Leary, a guy who by all accounts, ripped off more comics then anyone in the history of comedy.

I'm glad you stuck around and enjoy the show (and subscribe!). Our little show is starting to pick up some traction and your feedback in this early stage means a lot!

Chad

• Like 10

True story; just yesterday I had the thought, "Oh man; it's been a few days since I heard Horatio Sans in a podcast. DANGIT!" This is almost perfect timing xD

* - heard the last Hooray Show, like, a week ago, and then the Dead Author's Podcast with Horatio 2 days ago. I highly suggest anyone who hasn't heard it give it a listen; Paul F. Tompkins and Horatio Sanz, in character as H.G. Wells and the author of Don Quixote, Miguel de Cervantes? But not really because they hardly talk about the book and basically just go along with Horatio's amazing backstory and details for the guy? With accents!?! BRILLIANT!

I love the Hooray Show! Keep it up

Horatio as Miguel de Cervantes on hiring actors who can't sing for musicals: "It's like hiring a plumber and having him show up and say 'hey, I don't know anything about tools, but I'll take a shit in your house!"

He is the best

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this