🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
DavidRosen

Mission to Mars

It's been a long time since I've seen it, but if it's as bat shit crazy as I remember, I think it would make for a great episode.

Was the whole thing bad though? I feel like it was maybe tolerable space travel for most of the movie, and then gets insane at the end (in a bad way). Maybe I'm giving the rest of the movie too much credit haha, its been a long time since I saw it.

I saw this film when I was 8 because it was rated PG, and I remember really liking it, so now I got it on DVD. But can I tell this one will be terrible once I rewatch it again when I get the chance.

Mission to Mars also notably came out the same time as Red Planet, with the former eking out a tiny profit while the latter bombed badly, which I assume mostly people had already seen something similar, and that was M2M. It also marked a downward slide for Brian De Palma, as after this, The Black Dahlia came out several years later and things were never the same.

• Like 1

This was the Gary Sinise one, right? It really wasn't that bad. Mind you, it wasn't great, either.

It also marked a downward slide for Brian De Palma, as after this, The Black Dahlia came out several years later and things were never the same.

They really need to do the Black Dahlia. That climax?! It approaches levels of insanity that might just make Jason's head explode.

Yea Mission To Mars and Red Planet... I was so excited for both... I thought both were terrible... I could be mixing them up, but I think I thought Mission To Mars was the more ridiculous of the two.

Black Dahlia would be AMAZING. I laughed so hard in the theater during that movie.

• Like 1

IIRC, this one was more science-y (in the beginning, anyway) than Red Planet in that it felt like they were sticking reasonably close to the 'science' part of 'science-fiction'. In the end it kind of goes off the rails with the typical Chariots of the Gods stuff, but it wasn't super crazy. Maybe borderline boring, though? Other than Ennio Morricone's super fun b-movie score.

I remember Red Planet being pure nonsense through and through, though.

Aw I kind of like M2M even though it's not really a great movie. It was *just* believable enough to be interesting. But then again, I think HDTGM is more fun when it's a movie I have some attachment to than a piece of garage that feels completely disposable.

Oh, I loved this one. Tim Robbins trying really, really unsuccessfully to convince us he's a cigar-chomping, convertible-cruising, gas-engine loving old-fashioned Real American. Those futuristic oxygen gauges that are always helpfully visualizing the dramatic stakes. The insane animated explanation for life on Earth. IIRC, it was jammed into production in order to make a release date - everyone looks like they showed up on set with no idea who their character would be and no time to rehearse.

This was on a few weeks back and I'd forgotten how severe the makeup job on Gary Sinise was. I don't know if they were trying to convince us he was in his 20s or something, but it was not working.

mars20.jpg?d=a0

• Like 1

at some point in time I remember seeing this movie and it was so good I forgot every minute of it. guess I'll have to watch it all over again...