🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 333 — Pit Stop

my only worry is that: i know scheduling plays a part (although jemaine clement did sklar last thursday) and cbb pretty mainstream, but i hope jack antonoff is not taking away appearances from other worthy people. i hope scott can keep finding a young comedians who fits the aukerman sensibility

If Jemaine ever guests on cbb I will LOSE. IT.

tumblr_l7wv01x9qe1qai9h9.gif

But since the Kickstarter for "What We Do In The Shadows" (which he co-directed (which you should all pledge your fortunes towards cause it's great!)) ends in less than 24 hours I think it's unlikely this time around.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed Jack's guest appearance knowing nothing about him or his work previously! C+ ep!

• Like 1

Let's assume that Jack was being 100% sincere and non-ironic. To paraphrase his own words, I found him insufferable, but he arrived at a few points.

The interview portion was a tough listen for me, but I actually enjoyed how Scott approached it as a host. Jack struck me as a perfect storm of "bad" moments from past eps. His invocation of fashionable opinions without offering any substance to his argument (citing Bill O'Reilly as an example of unequivocal evil), and then sitting back like his job was done, reminded me of Ed Helms' character from #152. His apparent misunderstanding of the nature of the show itself by bringing such topical content into the CBB-verse was a bit like Will Forte's gaffe about the Brothers Gibb on #153. At best, Jack seemed to have little to no idea what sort of show this was, and not respecting the craft is a cardinal sin for the Earwolf-obsessed.

What I appreciated about Scott's approach was that he let Jack have enough slack to hang himself, but never for too long before letting him off the hook ("check your privilege!") It was actually fun seeing him poke fun at Jack when he didn't seem to realize how full of shit he sounded (like w/ the rescue dog). It wasn't nearly the skewering that Armen got from Matt Besser on Who Charted?, but Jack's also not a comedy guy so I think that's fair.

Also, I like that Scott takes risks by having non-comedians on his show so frequently. Some, like Ted Leo or Tears for Fears, surprised me by being completely funny. Some, like St Vincent, were hilarious merely by being overwhelmed by what was happening in the studio. Some, like Twin Shadow, politely stuck to what they knew, refraining from participating in the comedic bits. By and large, I thought it brought a lot to the show.

Ultiimately, Jack reminded me of Kumail's story about John Mayer in ep #41. Instead of taking the easy road and vilifying John, Kumail cast him as a man so blessed with extraordinary fortune and success that he couldn't quite figure out how to live up to it, and his self-assuredness had led him into waters where he had no business being. Likewise with Jack. It's easy for me to shake my head at his store-bought opinions, but the dude's been blessed w/ extraordinary success and he's not resting on his laurels. I might not give two shits about what he's got to say, but I'm still glad he's trying to find his voice.

Scott could play it safe and just have comedians and eccentrics on his show. By contrast, Jack struck me as a challenging guest, and I think that ultimately it makes the show better, even if I wouldn't vote for this interview as a Best-Of.

Per the discussion on negative comments in general, I really love how passionate CBB listeners are. I think it's a testament to the high quality of Scott's body of work that the haters can be so critical. I don't think it's a bad thing to express displeasure w/ an ep, as long as you're not a total dick. Like Rome says, "Have a take. Don't suck."

• Like 5

With Horatio's character accidently killing overweight people on treadmills in his last appearance, and his character bullying one into suicide in this episode, i hope this becomes a recurring dark gag in his stories

• Like 4

Felt the need to chime in, for some mysterious reason, to say this:

I enjoyed the sort-of-serious interview with Jack Antonoff. Scott Aukerman rolled with it in an interesting and entertaining way. It might be good for our intrepid host to mix things up and change gears once a while. I'd listen to a whole WTF-style serious conversation, provided the guest is even remotely interesting. Which I think this guest was.

Random_Randy out.

• Like 1

(Myriad of great points)

Thank you for expressing my feelings for me. C+ post.

• Like 2

Felt the need to chime in, for some mysterious reason, to say this:

I enjoyed the sort-of-serious interview with Jack Antonoff. Scott Aukerman rolled with it in an interesting and entertaining way. It might be good for our intrepid host to mix things up and change gears once a while. I'd listen to a whole WTF-style serious conversation, provided the guest is even remotely interesting. Which I think this guest was.

Random_Randy out.

Quick, 2-part question, are you a man named Randy who is 'random' or do you get randy at random times? I'll take my answer off the air.

• Like 1

When Jack asked if Spiderman: Turn off the Dark won a Tony, Scott's reaction absolutely destroyed me. In what sounded like a genuinely angry/flustered tone he said something like "WHAT? Are you seriou...NO, not in the least."

• Like 2

When Jack asked if Spiderman: Turn off the Dark won a Tony, Scott's reaction absolutely destroyed me. In what sounded like a genuinely angry/flustered tone he said something like "WHAT? Are you seriou...NO, not in the least."

I think Scott deserves an award for not strangling Antonoff with his mic cord. I thought at first that he was kidding because it was so famously (reportedly, I've not seen it myself) awful but no. To be fair, though, given the context it's not a crazy leap to make.

• Like 1

Maybe it's just me, but I like Comedy Bang! Bang! It's a humerous podcast with celebrity guests and crazy characters. I particularly enjoy several recurring performers and the established backstories they bring to their episodes.

Maybe it's just me, but I like Comedy Bang! Bang! It's a humerous podcast with celebrity guests and crazy characters. I particularly enjoy several recurring performers and the established backstories they bring to their episodes.

something tells me this machine is not being completely truthful...

WHAT'S YOUR GAME LIEBOT?!!

• Like 1