🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Steve is a talented gymnast who has given up competition and is working at his father's bike shop. Julie is the new girl at his old gym, who has moved to town to train with their powerful coach. Inspired by Julie, Steve resumes training. While dealing with the conflicts in their personal lives and the stress of training, they prepare for the US Olympic Trials.

Steve is a talented gymnast who has given up competition and is working at his father's bike shop. Julie is the new girl at his old gym, who has moved to town to train with their powerful coach. Inspired by Julie, Steve resumes training. While dealing with the conflicts in their personal lives and the stress of training, they prepare for the US Olympic Trials.

I think I kept getting this mixed up with "Vision Quest" or something. Lots of mid-80s flicks that centered on sports that didn't catch on so much in the way that "Karate Kid" did. I'd say that "Gymkata" had the edge, what with all the murder and stuff.

• Like 3

The acting is so bad, and I know I loved this movie as a kid. I thought it was a good movie back then. Mitch Gaylord is/was a real gymnast who did an ok job acting. But the movie is just sooooo cheesy and the soundtrack is amazingly bad with synthesizer all over.

Bumping this for two reasons.

1. The Olympics coming to a close this week, so let's keep hope alive

2. Gymkata

Why not?

Only good thing about the movie is Andy Taylor on the soundtrack:

This is amazing. If I owned a bar, I'd have a tv dedicated to playing this at last call.

319883_full.jpg

The girl in the middle looks like every other hipsterette here in Portland. The more things change...

• Like 1

The girl in the middle looks like every other hipsterette here in Portland. The more things change...

As a Portland resident myself, I'm gonna have to ask you to explain yourself. I see a girl in a white t-shirt. No tattoos, no facial piercings, no hair dye, no vegan leather purse, no vintage eyeglass frames, no bags of New Seasons produce, no fixed gear bicycle, no PBR tallboy, no gluten-free pizza slice from an anarchist food cart, etc etc.

• Like 1

This movie is absolutely fantastic, and probably one of the very few movies I wish had a sequel. I hope someday this is done for a live show along with The Cutting Edge.

• Thanks 1

I was in love with this movie. It played all the time on cable around the same time that Girls Just Want to Have Fun was on a constant loop.

I watched this on YouTube a while back. Well some of it, I couldn't get through it.

• Like 1

This HAS to be done! June is requesting a gymnastics movie! And mitch is just so dreamy with the Swayze-esc hair! 

• Like 1