🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Bernard_Shakey

(a.) Scott was just on Letterman and mentioned UTU2TM!

He doesn't talk U2 to us in that clip. Hopefully someone will put it on YouTube. Scott gave the heads up on Twitter, so I DVRed the show.

Adam Scott is so damn charming, he even manages to charm David Letterman, who hasn't given a shit about anything since 1997.

• Like 6

It's pretty hilarious how out of touch Letterman is. Like, I understand someone his age not listening to podcasts and even not knowing how one would do so, but it sounded like he was curious about how they're made. I mean, does he not even understand that it's just an audio recording?

• Like 2

Old guy here, so I think I can kind-of talk to Letterman's out-of-touch. I've heard Hardwick talk about how there is such a gap in people that listen to podcasts and those that don't, but Hardwick doesn't understand what the barrier is. Main point, it's device driven.

The entry point for me and podcasts started AFTER I purchased an iPod. There was a lengthy period after I purchased the iPod before I ever downloaded a podcast. I was aware of the word podcast, I thought they were like songs and you had to purchase them. Which was a huge no bueno for me.

One day though, I thought I would at least look at the comedy offerings in the iTunes store (again, this is all Apple driven), the only name I immediately recognized was Doug Benson's, and that was because I remember he had a movie review page on bobanddavid.com (an old Mr Show website).

Sure you can get this stuff onto your pc, you can get apps that let you stream to your android, but the first step into podcasts is almost always via an Apple device. It wasn't by word-of-mouth that I found earwolf. I work in a company of 3,000+ people, in 17 years I have never heard any other human talk about podcasts. Period.

Other obstacles? I talk to my wife about funny moments that I hear on podcasts, and she makes fun of me. "oh did you hear that on a podcast?" "is it a fun podcast?"

There is a huge swath of people that have never heard of a podcast, and content creators would do themselves a favor (and the industry) to find a way to kick in the door to expose people that aren't part of the Apple universe. Podcasting is big and growing, but it needs to find a way to get out from behind the Great Wall of Apple.

• Like 2

Now that we know when you first became aware of podcasts, may I ask when you first became aware of U2?

• Like 6

Now that we know when you first became aware of podcasts, may I ask when you first became aware of U2?

Oof, 1980. 35 years ago.

I need to be less wordy, but I did a blob of words a while back about my time with U2 in my ears:

http://forum.earwolf.com/topic/15412-episode-1-%e2%80%94-from-boy-to-under-a-blood-red-sky/page__view__findpost__p__89898

I still miss the purple sticky weed.

Just saw Scott on the Meredith Viera show. I really hope Scott sees it so he can make fun of him for the "bialy story". Look it up

Old guy here, so I think I can kind-of talk to Letterman's out-of-touch. I've heard Hardwick talk about how there is such a gap in people that listen to podcasts and those that don't, but Hardwick doesn't understand what the barrier is. Main point, it's device driven.

The entry point for me and podcasts started AFTER I purchased an iPod. There was a lengthy period after I purchased the iPod before I ever downloaded a podcast. I was aware of the word podcast, I thought they were like songs and you had to purchase them. Which was a huge no bueno for me.

One day though, I thought I would at least look at the comedy offerings in the iTunes store (again, this is all Apple driven), the only name I immediately recognized was Doug Benson's, and that was because I remember he had a movie review page on bobanddavid.com (an old Mr Show website).

Sure you can get this stuff onto your pc, you can get apps that let you stream to your android, but the first step into podcasts is almost always via an Apple device. It wasn't by word-of-mouth that I found earwolf. I work in a company of 3,000+ people, in 17 years I have never heard any other human talk about podcasts. Period.

Other obstacles? I talk to my wife about funny moments that I hear on podcasts, and she makes fun of me. "oh did you hear that on a podcast?" "is it a fun podcast?"

There is a huge swath of people that have never heard of a podcast, and content creators would do themselves a favor (and the industry) to find a way to kick in the door to expose people that aren't part of the Apple universe. Podcasting is big and growing, but it needs to find a way to get out from behind the Great Wall of Apple.

Sheesh, get a room already. Where you can store all your words

• Like 2

Scott is endlessly charming and Letterman still has it. Think about how horrible that segment could have gone. Scott has a knack for perfect delivery and self-deprecation, and Letterman matched it and quipped without any loss of speed. A joy to watch for comedy fans. I'm especially giddy UTU2TM ever even got mentioned on television -- think about how crazy that is you fucks!