🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
agata

Episode 71 — Nicole Byer, Our Close Friend

Yea Bruce make a new account now... But one that indicates its your 2nd account. Maybe Bruce Reid Robinson II?

Edit: wait a second... Is this already ur 2nd acct?

• Like 9

Bruce, if all of your cries for help take place in this forum you gotta branch out. Tell the barista at Starbucks that not even the new tiramisu latte can bring you out of this funk you're in, but you wouldn't mind trying it anyway. Then call your best friend from first grade, Marquis, and tell him if you were to kill yourself hypothetically you'd slit your wrists in a field in the middle of nowhere so he wouldn't have time to find you before you bled out. Next make a t-shirt that says "Please hug me" and if no one bites, chalk it up to your being unlovable. Then visit that barista again and if she doesn't notice your new haircut, you have my permission to kill yourself because, hey, at least you tried.

btw, you gotta blame Marquis big time in your suicide note.

• Like 12

Does anyone remember that one time on Reality Show Show where they were talking about their SNL auditions and Sean says that he did his character "Guy Who Can't Believe You Don't Want Ketchup On Your Ice Cream" who says "Aw come on, you're gonna eat it plain??"

I still laugh to myself at least twice a week thinking about that moment.

Just wanted to share, see ya

• Like 20

I can hang a little later once this set of extractions is incubating

Sounds like someone (and please, correct me if I'm wrong) is in that special kind of hell for graduates and yes, postdocs too, where you are tied to the bench doing endless experiments, working all the time in the lab with your cultures and your gels and hiding from your lab boss who wants data now for their presentations and conferences and when will you finish writing that paper !!

If so, my thoughts are with you Bruce.

• Like 9

I'm down for a Hangout, gotta find out all the latest gossip.

P.S. Bruce please don't kill yourself but if you're going to anyway, use a potato gun for the irony.

• Like 7

WP_20150219_001.jpg

Maybe so, but it's possible to have too much of a good thing. I'm watching these guys for a friend who is out of town, and I'm learning that it's true what people say about me*. More like wire-haired terror-ier, and chihua-eWHAA, know what I mean?

* "He can probably handle four D's at the same time, but it won't be easy." I don't know why they say this about me. It's probably a compliment though, right?

I like to give my son a bunch of baby cheese puffs to occupy him while I hit the forums and watch DVRed episodes of the Scott Anchorman Program. I have a cat around here somewhere too. So guys, it could be worse

• Like 1

Can there be a hangout some day next week too?

Sure! What day?

Sounds like someone (and please, correct me if I'm wrong) is in that special kind of hell for graduates and yes, postdocs too, where you are tied to the bench doing endless experiments, working all the time in the lab with your cultures and your gels and hiding from your lab boss who wants data now for their presentations and conferences and when will you finish writing that paper !!

If so, my thoughts are with you Bruce.

This is scary real for me. I hugged my laptop. I almost posted actual emails from just today wherein my very french boss was asking for those things.

• Like 2

Ey Frej-dawg, I'm going to be in Portland in October for a conference. If you want to come watch some science happen or show me where a good bar is that could be a wicked pisser of a time.

EDIT: 1500 posts you guys. This is what my life has become. No, it isn't depressing. Ok, maybe a little bit but you guys are fun. Definitely not contemplating quitting school and burning the lab to the ground and making it look like an electrical fire.

Congrats on 1500 posts. Just for perspective, Shannon the Moderator has 1005 posts.

• Like 2

just for perspective, most animals have more than one eye

for perspe--

get it

for perspective

• Like 13

One eyed animal in my pants bro.

Trouser snake?

Jo, you're English right? What's your bag? Chemistry? Microbiology? Genetics? Informatics? how is you in my heads?

• Like 1

post-countiness is next to godliness

it doesn't hurt to shower once in a while too, esp if u got a waterproof lappy

• Like 5

Jo, you're English right? What's your bag? Chemistry? Microbiology? Genetics? Informatics? how is you in my heads?

Did not mean to scare you Bruce but I recognized the signs when I read you posts ! I'm pretty sure I know what those emails from your french boss look like as well. What a git. I am now out of the research game but after graduate school in UK I came over here to join the foreign postdoc army and I worked in labs for a really long time. My bag is/was biochem and mol biol. Mostly plants and algae.

Also, like you I'm sure, I have a tonne of crazy lab stories. I'm sure your boss is mad and is slowly trying to drive you insane. And your lab mates will throw you under the bus at lab meeting and isn't it your turn to do Journal Club ?

• Like 3

My sister is presently doing her PhD in plant molecular biology, something about genetically modifying cell walls to engineer more suitable biofuel crops. My wife is a genetics postdoc, working on transposable elements and how they destabilize the human genome and cause cancer. Don't ask me what I do, I don't want to talk about it. I just wanted to jump in and say that I also know your pains, both directly and vicariously.

• Like 3