🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
agata

Episode 71 — Nicole Byer, Our Close Friend

Just echoing what everyone else has said.

I think it speaks volumes as to who Harris was as a person that he could make so many people feel grief over his death that has never met him. It felt like he was your best friend every time he showed up on a podcast and was making jokes just for you. He just had that kind of command and power. I can only imagine how hard it is for everyone who actually knew him. He affected so many people I think and this is just such a huge blow for so many people.

It's made things easier being able to come to this forum and read how much everyone else has been affected by this and know that I'm not at all alone in how I feel. It's a really special thing to have and I just wanted to say that I really appreciate how open you all are. You're all a truly wonderful group of people that I'm lucky to call "vague internet associates/friends."

• Like 13

RIP Harris.

I've been listening to Earwolf podcasts for about a year now, and when I learned who Harris was, I was so happy. Parks and Rec is my favorite show, and getting to know Harris' humor, I felt like at times I could pick out which jokes he wrote. His appearance on CBB as Jack Sjunior is one of my all time favorite podcasting moments.

Harris became one of my favorites. I re-watch P&R all the time, and it makes me smile seeing him go from writer to executive producer over the seasons. I don't normally get upset about deaths of people I don't know personally, but this one hit me hard yesterday. I'll be re-listening to a lot of his appearances on Earwolf over the next few days.

Stay safe out there people! You all are awesome.

giphy.gif

(ignore that mouse cursor)

• Like 9

I don't think I've ever laugh-cried before, but it's all I've been doing. Every old foam joke, every old tweet, every old Jack bit... the funnier it is the sadder it is.

I don't know how to deal with this sadness :(. One of the articles gave his approximate home address. I looked it up. Anastasia and I drove right by his house this week. That doesn't actually mean anything. It just feels like... just a few days ago things seemed OK. We actually talked about him and hoped that he was doing well.

There are so many classic funny tweets/jokes/bits from Harris. I think my favorite right now is from F&P2:

Scott: "How do you know when you're working and when you're living?"

Harris (Rod): "Well, we actually have a rule: If you're working, you have to have like a hard hat on, and if you're living, you always have to have a margarita."

Scott: "That's a great rule, just for anyone out there."

Harris (Rod): "Actually, our first <uncontrollable laughter> our first album is called <uncontrollable laughter> 'Hard Hats and Margaritas'."

• Like 11

http://www.theatlant...utm_source=SFFB

I thought this was a great article

Oh my god they link to https://www.facebook...e=1&pnref=story in that article... it's so unbelievably heartbreaking. I guess it should have been obvious that the relapse was very brief (probably just the one time?), but seeing his words and optimism about his cleanness from just 5 days before his death hurts so much.

• Like 8

You all are so eloquent. It's wonderful to read how you feel and relate to it. I am in a deep well of sadness. And it's confusing and embarrassing at times. I know that no one in my life outside of this forum would understand why I would be so crushed by Harris' death. I'm glad I have people to talk to about this. Bruce and I had a sad but helpful chat last night. Thanks, Bruce.

One of his sweetest appearances on CBB was this episode: http://www.earwolf.com/episode/introducing-the-japan-dogs/

I also loved the Don't Stop or We'll Die episode because they sound like they are having so much fun...and that was very fun for me to listen to. http://www.earwolf.com/episode/project-funway/

• Like 8

Guys... How are we ever going to get back into the funny zone?

• Like 3

I'll ease us back into it with something from my foam corner:

"8 tips and tricks to remember your step-son's birthday! Also, get your lawn looking like Frank's with these 3 easy steps!"

- The cover of Step-Dad Weekly

• Like 4

• Like 10

It's the law of Pavlov's Fart. If you hear enough farts, you start farting yourself without knowing it.

• Like 6

I also loved the Don't Stop or We'll Die episode because they sound like they are having so much fun...and that was very fun for me to listen to. http://www.earwolf.c...project-funway/

There's a few Don't Stop or We'll Die episodes, like Clones and Oliver Stones (one of my favorite episodes of any podcast). I was still bummin' hard at work today and I listened to this again and it kinda kicked me from mourning mode to celebration-of-earthly-accomplishments mode. I hope everyone is well. Oh wait, be funny again. I mean I hope everyone makes a big juicy toot from their bottom?

• Like 6

Hey guys,

I didn't really know what to say about Harris Wittels' death. Obviously any loss is tragic and regretable, especially someone we have all gotten to know and love through some of our favorite podcasts. That said, I can't say that I was the biggest admirer of Harris and I was only vaguely aware of him. It's not that I didn't think he was talented and funny, just that there's only so much time and attention one has to give and I tend to spread mine exceptionally thinly. I suppose I feel like a bit of an imposter posting this but I felt like it was important nonetheless.

Upon seeing all you guys share favorite bits and memories of Harris, I went back and listened to a lot of the podcasts he has been in and that sparked the realization that a lot of my favorite Comedy Bang Bang bits are from Harris' Foam Corner or involved Harris. I suppose that's a lesson to me to take more time to appreciate the things I like and to take a moment to recognize the people who made them happen/created them/etc whether they be comedy bits or an exceptionally good cup of coffee or whatever. I think it's easy to be a blind consumer of a lot of things, comedy included, and it's easy to take them for granted and to forget to acknowledge the real people who make life better, who make life fun.

I regret taking Harris for granted because I never got to recognize him for the contribution to my own comedic sensibilities and the best time to do that is never after someone is gone. I suppose there's a larger, more cliché life lesson in there revolving around appreciating what you have before it's gone. Even though you hear it a lot, it's a good one and it's times like these when I understand why people bang on about it so much.

The best I can do now is say thank you, Harris. Thanks for your humor. Thanks for making me laugh. Thanks for putting yourself out there to make people laugh. It's a brave and admirable thing to do.

I also want to say how great this community is, even though I know we all already know that. It's really great to see people feel comfortable sharing memories of someone they barely knew but had such a strong connection with, and to be supported by that community is such a gift. Mourning is an important and very human thing to do and there aren't many places where people can do that about a public figure whom they admire and respect without it being awkward or seeming insincere or out of place. This seems to be one of the exceptions to that rule and it's so important that places like this exist.

Love you all, gang. Take care of yourselves.

• Like 15

it would be cool to be able to embed a fart sound directly in to a post, maybe i should go bother shannon about that again

• Like 10

Dumb jokes.

• Like 3

Today's WSGLL with improv genius and Handbooker Thomas Middleditch is pretty damn funny. He's the guest who's a host (but not really the host). So you know, it's there if you feel like you could use a friendly podcast laugh today.

Someone feel free to tell me that we don't talk about other podcasts on here. I won't mind.

• Like 4

never not funny is also real good this week with mr andy daly

• Like 7

Today's WSGLL with improv genius and Handbooker Thomas Middleditch is pretty damn funny. He's the guest who's a host (but not really the host). So you know, it's there if you feel like you could use a friendly podcast laugh today.

Someone feel free to tell me that we don't talk about other podcasts on here. I won't mind.

Please don't reference other podcasts in this forum. Thank you.

• Like 2

Guys im going to south beach tonight to party.

Kob34 is my snapchat and u should watch my story cause its prob gonna be really cool.

I know most of u wont but that just means ur lame lol

• Like 11