🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
agata

Episode 71 — Nicole Byer, Our Close Friend

Did not mean to scare you Bruce but I recognized the signs when I read you posts ! I'm pretty sure I know what those emails from your french boss look like as well. What a git. I am now out of the research game but after graduate school in UK I came over here to join the foreign postdoc army and I worked in labs for a really long time. My bag is/was biochem and mol biol. Mostly plants and algae.

Also, like you I'm sure, I have a tonne of crazy lab stories. I'm sure your boss is mad and is slowly trying to drive you insane. And your lab mates will throw you under the bus at lab meeting and isn't it your turn to do Journal Club ?

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM This gives me many feels. I'll be brief so I don't bore everyone with learn'ed bullshit. I am also a biochemist and I work almost exclusively on plants. These god damned secondary metabolite assays take all day and the sample prep is so absurd it can hardly be exaggerated. In what reality does someone look forward to a partially completed SNP array and QTL analysis as a break from vitamin B9 screening?!?! FUCK. Molecular breeding is inane and working 60+ hours a week for a measly stipend from the man makes me feel dirty (not good durty). That felt good to get out there. Sorry everybody. I bought a nice bottle of Scotch and I will be in a better mood on the forums here soon. Promise. When is good for you Anastasia? People are about to start leaving around here and then I can half-ass my way around the lab for a while.

• Like 5

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM This gives me many feels. I'll be brief so I don't bore everyone with learn'ed bullshit. I am also a biochemist and I work almost exclusively on plants. These god damned secondary metabolite assays take all day and the sample prep is so absurd it can hardly be exaggerated. In what reality does someone look forward to a partially completed SNP array and QTL analysis as a break from vitamin B9 screening?!?! FUCK. Molecular breeding is inane and working 60+ hours a week for a measly stipend from the man makes me feel dirty (not good durty). That felt good to get out there. Sorry everybody. I bought a nice bottle of Scotch and I will be in a better mood on the forums here soon. Promise. When is good for you Anastasia? People are about to start leaving around here and then I can half-ass my way around the lab for a while.

This should make you laugh .... I spent several years tipping maize plants with balloons attached to the ends filled with media and expensive chemicals and inhibitors. Sometime the balloons would burst into your face and your lab coat would be sticky. And then measuring how much they would bend ... by hand. And then extracting RNA. Also, it took 6 weeks to set up the plants and sometimes rats would get into the greenhouse and eat your experiment. And there were black widow spiders in the greenhouse so you had to make sure to give things a good kick before picking them up. I eventually became allergic to maize after my eye blew up and I had to go to the hospital.

• Like 3

Damn. Sorry to bring the forum down, but RIP Harris.

No! This sucks

• Like 2

this is the worst day in earwolf history, other than the day I registered

hand to god someone linked the Carl Sjunior bit on twitter and I started listening for the millionth time and instantly teared up

• Like 6

Hope everyone here is well, I love you all. RIP Harris, gone far too soon.

• Like 10

I was just gonna come here and say how awesome it is that Sean and Hayes seem to actually care about us fans but I'm really sad now. RIP Harris, drugs fucking suck.

• Like 4

Harris was so talented and delightful and this breaks my heart.

• Like 5

Bruce and I are hanging out and talking about it, if anyone wants to join us.

• Like 1

When I first was getting into podcasts I found CBB, then I listened to an episode with Foam Corner and became obsessed. I listened to Harris' episodes over and over and kept bugging my friends and family, making them listen to these dumb yet great jokes delivered so perfectly. I scoured every medium looking for more jokes from him or articles talking about him and projects he worked on. I then obviously made mix CDs of his band Don't Stop Or We'll Die and loved showing people who had never heard it. I played the song "I Got A Perm For Our Camping Trip" for this girl that I liked and she thought it was hilarious, and I thought that was awesome, and it became an ongoing joke that I'd play it every time I saw her. I'm bummed. RIP Rodney Aug

• Like 13

This has really messed me up. You feel like you know these people. Podcasts are so personal. People are so vulnerable and human; even if they're doing a persona, it feels more intimate than a show or movie. I've been genuinely upset about this; that interview on You Made it Weird helped me through my own breakup and struggles with spiraling out of control. Idk what to say. Addiction is a scary thing.

• Like 17

His YMIW episode was sad and scary to listen to, the way he talked about his run in with dealers at the park...he knew he was in deep and he couldn't find his way out.

I can't imagine how his friends and family must feel, he was such a one of a kind person .

• Like 12