🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
MrTrousers

Myra Breckinridge (1970)

Trailer:

As Jason would say, this movie is bonkers! It's considered one of the worst movies ever -- as Time magazine said: "Myra Breckinridge is about as funny as a child molester. It is an insult to intelligence, an affront to sensibility and an abomination to the eye."

The making of it is pretty fascinating too, especially with director Michael Sarne's unconventional and somewhat mystifying methods: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myra_Breckinridge_(film)#Production

This movie is perfect for HDTGM!

• Like 1

Some really astonishing stuff about the production: In addition to the tension between Raquel Welch and Mae West, apparently the director spent more time praising West than Welch. Keep in mind that at the time of production, Welch was considered one of the world's top sex symbols, while Mae West looked less like she had come out retirement for the film than like she had been exhumed for it.

Further, the director did an interview with some magazine where he made insulting comments about cast member John Huston. Keep in mind, the director was an inexperienced newbie, and the man he was insulting had at that point directed "The Maltese Falcon," "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre," "The African Queen," "The Asphalt Jungle" and "The Night of the Iguana," among others. As a result, Huston waited until a day that his contract specified he could walk off the film without penalty and did so, telling them they'd never cut the film together.

What makes the film itself astonishing is when you compare it to the novel (which I haven't read, nor have I seen the movie). The novel has a third-act twist that I'd be reluctant to ruin if it weren't nearly fifty years old: Myra is actually Myron after a sex change. The movie opens with Myron about to have the sex change, which makes the scene where she reveals the truth to other characters fairly useless. And that's probably one of the more understandable changes...

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this