🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 220 — Make Love Like Gorillas

Kulap and Howard kick off the show with the exciting revelation that we are very close to bathing suit season. Then, the gang welcomes to the show NPR’s own Jesse Thorn, who inadvertently pushes Howard’s buttons pertaining to the harsh cement architecture of San Francisco, also, he describes what is needed for a quintessential movie theatre experience and why “zip zap zop” is imperative for sex. Lastly, Jesse fields questions from Chartists wherein he explains why Irish linen, is the only linen appropriate for pocket squares.

I'm not in the know on this guy, but I definitely found it funny that he's the source for bespoke clothing tips, given his outfit in the episode photos...

I might ask him what's the best way to get a mustard stain out of a dark grey tee, but thats about it

• Like 1

Howard yelling "Shoot 'em!" during the American Sniper clip almost made me do spit take.

• Like 5

I loved Howard calling out millenials for having tchotchkes of movies they haven't seen after the whole Beetlejuice thing.

• Like 8

I've been gradually working "Jordan, Jesse, Go" into my podcast listening. Its pretty good. Jesse's always a good guest on "Never Not Funny" too.

Solid episode. Saw "Kingsman" over the weekend, really enjoyed it. The exploding heads thing they mention was a tad too cartoon-y for me, but the movie is somewhere between a parody and tribute to spy films, so in the end its forgivable. Its not meant to be taken too seriously, its just a fun action film, and it succeeds at that. Even has few good emotional beats to it. And Colin Firth is really great in it.

Also, "93 to Infinity" is such a good fucking song, I wish he had stuck with that choice. Such a classic beat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VwfYCFYZws

I've been gradually working "Jordan, Jesse, Go" into my podcast listening. Its pretty good. Jesse's always a good guest on "Never Not Funny" too.

I've been listening to JJGO for a long time. Check out Episode 40, maybe my favorite podcast episode of all time, especially back then, when there were no good podcasts

Did Tupac go to that Bay Area High School for a month? He went to not one, but two different high schools here before moving west, legendary Dunbar and then Baltimore School for the Arts, with Jada Pinkett Smith...

Cody getting airtime on HH, so he thinks all the podcasts want his input. Getting really ballsy, Cody.

• Like 3

I like Jesse, but I'm highly skeptical of anyone over 30 with a spouse and kid who wants to be referred to as a Millenial.

Howard's line about war being fun because of all the young people there was amazing.

• Like 2

Jesse comes off like an arrogant prick when he talks about white people trying to sound black.

STFU, Jesse, you smug hipster. You're not the arbiter of art and race.

Jesse comes off like an arrogant prick when he talks about white people trying to sound black.

STFU, Jesse, you smug hipster. You're not the arbiter of art and race.

I think you're a little extreme but I agree with the general point. It's quite easy for a guy whose job is to speak on NPR to criticize other white people for what they choose to do and why its wrong... Should they try to get a job designing yogurt containers or selling heirloom tomatoes at the farmer's market instead? Real respectful to say people should do what they're stereotypically expected to. That Darius Rucker should be ashamed of himself... making 'white' music all these years

• Like 1

First of all, TRAGIC that Thorn made no mention at all of Mac Dre during the Yay Area answer.

Secondly, you can't really knock him for the race comparison. He certainly could have phrased it in a more politically correct fashion but to deny it is to be willfully obtuse.

Also, it's stating the obvious but I'll never tire of hearing Bruno Mars' writers/producers get called out for making the most derivitive trash in the world. Especially stealing from lesser known artists like Breakbot.

Breakbot original:

Mars camp's shitty nearly identical knockoff:

• Like 2

This is the first episode of WC? I have listened to in about ... 1.5-2.0 years. To be honest, I actually only listened to one episode because Howard drove me bonkers.

But! I listened to this episode because I like Thorn pretty well and I'm trying to be more open minded. And I really liked it! I thought Howard was really funny and Thorn was a good as a guest (and Ku was great, obviously). I'm not sure if Howard is markedly different from when I first listened or if my sense of humor has changed and I have a better sense of where he is coming from, or what it was.

Anyway - the lesson is, don't be afraid to go back and try things you thought you didn't like - cause you might be missing out.

• Like 5

This is the first episode of WC? I have listened to in about ... 1.5-2.0 years. To be honest, I actually only listened to one episode because Howard drove me bonkers.

But! I listened to this episode because I like Thorn pretty well and I'm trying to be more open minded. And I really liked it! I thought Howard was really funny and Thorn was a good as a guest (and Ku was great, obviously). I'm not sure if Howard is markedly different from when I first listened or if my sense of humor has changed and I have a better sense of where he is coming from, or what it was.

Anyway - the lesson is, don't be afraid to go back and try things you thought you didn't like - cause you might be missing out.

Nice! Howard is an acquired taste for sure. I couldn't stand him at first, I thought his manner of speaking was a feaux-stoner pandering schtick and couldn't deal with it. Then i realized he is a real-deal space cadet (not unlike myself) with an incredibly brilliant and unique perception of the world delivered in a sometimes clunky but always endearing fashion. Now he's one of my favorite underrated podcast/comedy fixtures. Not quite a spirit-guide but certainly a summah-guide.

• Like 1

If there was one thing that could help ease the deep sad from Harebear leaving us even just a little bit it's Magnificent Jesse Thorn finally crossing podpaths with Magical Howard Kremer (aside from DBS being on TSOYA and all that).

I think you're a little extreme but I agree with the general point. It's quite easy for a guy whose job is to speak on NPR to criticize other white people for what they choose to do and why its wrong... Should they try to get a job designing yogurt containers or selling heirloom tomatoes at the farmer's market instead? Real respectful to say people should do what they're stereotypically expected to. That Darius Rucker should be ashamed of himself... making 'white' music all these years

I think you need a better example because Darius Rucker should definitely be ashamed of the music he makes.

• Like 2

I think you need a better example because Darius Rucker should definitely be ashamed of the music he makes.

Right, but not because of the color of his skin or those who usually make music that sounds that way

Sign in to follow this