🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
justinmh05

R.I.P. Harris Wittels

Incredibly shocking and sad. I'd only been listening to CBB for a week or two when the first Farts and Procreation dropped and only afterward did I realize I was already a fan of his from his humblebrag column on Grantland. I always looked forward to his podcast appearances and sometimes laughed to the point of tears even when my brain told me he'd just said the dumbest thing. My heart aches for those who knew him.

• Like 5

Such optimism in the Don't Stop Or We'll Die music. And I recall his enthusiasm on Who Charted when he bought his house (with all that Parks & Rec / Humblebrag money). Jealous at how much he seemed to get laid. His evangelical devotion to Phish, always positive, taking Scott's dismissive comments with gentle grace.

But I too got worried when he quit drugs. He seemed so at home in that world, in love with it. This last year must have been a major struggle for him to redefine his lifestyle.

Maybe Earwolf could bundle his podcast appearances together to sell as a package and donate the proceeds to a drug rehab charity.

• Like 7

must turd, that is my favorite Don't Stop Or We'll Die song. I just posted it to my tumblr but I can't bring myself to listen right now

Sorry if you think that was in poor taste, but I'm pretty sure he would hate most of this.

53uvyw.jpg

• Like 17

I vividly remember listening to Farts & Pro 1 on my way to work in the wee hours of the morning years ago. I ride the bus and very rarely give up anything even near a giggle no matter how funny I find it on the bus in the morning, but I'll be damned if it didn't make me laugh quite out loud. I don't have much more to say about it than that except that I will remember that feeling for a long time and Harris was a huge part of it, and his comedic sensibility struck deep with me. I always loved to hear him on anything, or to see him on TV, and he was just...a normal guy. I feel like I lost a friend and it's terrible, I can't imagine how his friends feel right now. I literally just shed a single tear as I wrote this. God dammit.

• Like 7

I'm re-listening to the YMIW, god this is sad.

That's the first thing I did before coming here to be another random internet stranger offering condolences. As someone else said, not very many celebrity deaths touch me, but this one certainly does. Sad.

• Like 2

Maybe Earwolf could bundle his podcast appearances together to sell as a package and donate the proceeds to a drug rehab charity.

I like this A LOT, how do we make this happen?

• Like 4

Jealous at how much he seemed to get laid.

hey you hear about this 12 year old in Texas getting his dick sucked?!?!?!

my favorite harris story might be the tale of when he went to UCB live in Texas and shouted out the worst topics for the performers to do.

• Like 8

I was just thinking about all the folks in the LA alt comedy scene who loved Harris have gigs tonight and have to go on stage and be funny while hurting so much...

• Like 4

I vividly remember listening to Farts & Pro 1 on my way to work in the wee hours of the morning years ago. I ride the bus and very rarely give up anything even near a giggle no matter how funny I find it on the bus in the morning, but I'll be damned if it didn't make me laugh quite out loud. I don't have much more to say about it than that except that I will remember that feeling for a long time and Harris was a huge part of it, and his comedic sensibility struck deep with me. I always loved to hear him on anything, or to see him on TV, and he was just...a normal guy. I feel like I lost a friend and it's terrible, I can't imagine how his friends feel right now. I literally just shed a single tear as I wrote this. God dammit.

I have a very fond memory of sitting on the toilet at work listening to F&P 3 and trying harder than anything to hold back my laughter so no one thought I was some maniac who was seemingly in hysterics over his own bowel movements. I eventually just gave in when when Harris said "how's window?" and just sat laughing uncontrollably with my pants around my ankles while the automatic flush sensor went off over and over.

• Like 7

The part in most Foam Corner eps where Scott says "Close it up strong, Harris," and Harris says "You know I can't do that."

And then Harris cackling over the closing theme.

• Like 11

Marc Maron reposted his interview with Harris for anyone who wants to listen.

Thanks! My immediate reaction when hearing about this was to re-listen to his most recent Pete Holmes interview, but I'm not sure if I can do that one tonight.

• Like 1

I was just thinking about all the folks in the LA alt comedy scene who loved Harris have gigs tonight and have to go on stage and be funny while hurting so much...

this is literally all I've been able to think about the past few hours. no matter how much happiness he brought to my life personally, I could never pretend to understand how crushing today has been for the comedians and writers that had the honor of working or spending time with him.

it's upsetting when anyone dies, especially a comedian... but when something like this happens there are simply no words to express the type of sadness we're all feeling.

• Like 2

Thank you, Reggie. That's a beautiful, beautiful song.

And, Harris, I don't know what you do here but you're a great, great person.

— Eddie Pepitone Tommy Malone

• Like 10

Gunna put a little foam in the corner, and come up with some terrible (yet still kinda funny) jokes.

• Like 2

I don't know Harris from anything except listening to him on podcasts, but I cried tonight for him because I couldn't take hearing this news. My heart has a hurt feeling to it and it just really feels shitty. I wish the best for his friends and family.

• Like 4

Woke up early and saw the news, not bothered sleeping anymore, re-listened to Farts & Pro 1 and 2, 2 was especially hard with the Harris Is A Ghost bit, plenty of cry-laughs.

I hope people struggling with addiction can find strength somewhere, any rock to hold onto before the current drags them away, but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way.

Harris has given the world so much.

• Like 1