🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
justinmh05

R.I.P. Harris Wittels

If you need to cry to be able to process things, and if you're having a hard time getting the tears out, this Sarah Silverman tweet will probably do the trick:

He was my baby. I just keep thinking of superman flying backwards around the earth. I wish I could do that. I'm so mad at you Harris

:(

Man, I'm really going to miss that dude. Such a unique voice. And impeccable delivery. A lesser comedian wouldn't have been able to make any of Harris's stuff work.

Fuck.

And I'm getting irrationally mad at seeing his credits in news stories. I don't know why. Just feels like his credits aren't even close to a fraction of the creativity and laughter that he brought to the world, and he's getting short shrift.

• Like 7

And I'm getting irrationally mad at seeing his credits in news stories. I don't know why. Just feels like his credits aren't even close to a fraction of the creativity and laughter that he brought to the world, and he's getting short shrift.

This to infinity.

• Like 4

As an alcoholic and drug addict approaching 2 years of sobriety, I always wanted to let Harris know in some way how much I admired him trying to get the help he needed and seemed to want. He is far from the last to die from addiction, proving how hard of a struggle it is, and I wish he could have won. He will always be one of my favorite guests on podcasts, and one of the best comedy writers. His cameos in Parks and Recreation consistently made me laugh. He will be missed but not forgotten.

• Like 5

Totally gutted about this. I live in London and it was the first thing I saw on my phone after waking up. Been chaining his CBB appearances all morning. Feels like someone very special has gone.

• Like 2

I don't think it's silly for us to be so devastated about losing someone we didn't really know. Because the truth is we did know him. He may have not known us, and we may not have known him as well as his family and friends, but we knew him. He shared so much of his genuine self with us on so many podcast appearances that it would be silly to say we didn't know what kind of person he was just because we didn't know him in person. I know Harris was an amazing and warm-hearted person, someone I would've loved to have as a friend. I miss him already.

• Like 6

This is so sad. Farts and Procreation was the first Comedy Bang! Bang! episode I listened to and it opened the wonderful world of CBB and Harris Wittels for me. Thank you Harris for making me laugh for countless of hours, was it from Foam Corner, Animal Control guy from Parks or your amazing character work in CBB. You seemed like a kind and cool guy. RIP Harris my heart goes out to everyone who knew him.

"That reminded me of when Mike and Omar would take out the trash when they were young boys... Good Epps."

• Like 3

RIP. +1 person he gave the gift of laughter. Thank you for that, Harris. You will be missed.

• Like 1

I feel like someone should isolate that audio and do something nice with it.

Someone on Twitter posted it, here's the link:

I hope heaven is everything Harris imagined (sans Hitler).

• Like 5

Eardrop episode #19. 4:36

Saw this last night and thought "oh yeah the Harris in heaven call" but didn't listen, but should have thought it was weird that I remembered an eardrop bit.

Then I woke up to texts this morning that reminded me that I remembered it because, I'm on that episode of Eardrop too. #humblebrag

• Like 7

I was alone with my grandmother when her terminal cancer went into overdrive. After she stopped coughing up blood long enough to fall asleep, I laid down and tried to force myself to sleep, since I hadn't in about 2 days and needed to work the next day. Somehow at my darkest moment, this episode was able to take me out of my headspace, laugh, relax, and fall asleep. RIP Harris.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/farts-and-procreation/

• Like 5

I thought the AV Club's write-up was really well done. I made the mistake of reading the one on Gawker, which just infuriated me to no end.

• Like 2

Fuck, man.

Addiction is some heavy, fucked up shit.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends. I hope the fact that so many people appreciated the great work he did is a small comfort.

• Like 2

I thought the AV Club's write-up was really well done. I made the mistake of reading the one on Gawker, which just infuriated me to no end.

Nice of Gawker to mention their "feud" with Harris in reporting his death. As if anyone else in the whole fucking world would consider such an insignificant blip worth being mentioned when discussing Harris's legacy.

• Like 5

Nice of Gawker to mention their "feud" with Harris in reporting his death. As if anyone else in the whole fucking world would consider such an insignificant blip worth being mentioned when discussing Harris's legacy.

Especially knowing what we know now, he might not have been in the best of mental spaces during that exchange.

Marc Maron reposted his interview with Harris for anyone who wants to listen.

I shouldn't have tried listening to this first thing after getting to work this morning. Couldn't make it through Marc's introduction of the episode without tearing up a bit. Think I'll save that one for later, and stick to Lapkus and Twooch this morning

• Like 2

I haven't even tried either of the interviews right now, don't think I can take "artist's pain" just yet. I do however have every one of his CBB/CDR appearances loaded on my zune and am listening to them all this weekend. And pretty much any moment I don't have that on, the short but amazing Don't Stop or We'll Die discog on repeat.

For whatever reason this one has helped a lot.

• Like 5

This is just awful. I saw people tweeting "RIP So sorry Scott" at Aukerman last night but assumed it was some kind of joke.

I have not been this devastated about the death of someone I don't know in...ever?

• Like 4

Well I'm gonna go curl up in a ball somewhere for the weekend. Goodbye.

• Like 3

This hit me harder that I ever thought the death of a celebrity I didn't know would. Harris was such a great comedic mind and contributed so much to the world of comedy in his short time with us. It makes me angry to think how much more he would have contributed if he'd been given all the years that everyone deserves.

After the YMIW episode, I was seriously worried about him. His voice sounded shaky, & it seemed he was scared at what a hold heroin had taken on him so quickly. His eagerness to get his story out seemed like a cry for help. I only wish I was in a position to help him more but what was a dumb fan like me to do.

After the YMIW episode, I Tweeted him my support, sharing that I was in recovery as well (only for alcohol), He favorited the Tweet and that simple act by him put me on the moon (#humblebrag). I followed up with a Tweet about how funny I thought he was.

Later, after he had had Twitter silence for a week or so, I Tweeted at him, saying I was worried about him. He didn't respond, but soon enough he started Tweeting jokes again, posting plugs for DSOWD and I thought all was right with the world again and that I had just been being a silly, paranoid, negative person

This is a day I feared so long that would happen, and, just when I thought it was safe, that it wouldn't happen, we are all knocked on our asses by this fucking so sorrowful news.

Harris, you brought so many people so much joy. You're legacy is filled to the brim with so many hilarious moments. You accomplished so much for a man of your young age. I have been paralyzed with grief since I heard this news.

I will miss you so much.

Fuck drugs & alcohol.

• Like 9