🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
justinmh05

R.I.P. Harris Wittels

There is so much to admire about Harris, he was one one of the most effortlessly funny people I've ever seen and he had so much success so early in life. It's hard to express feelings of sadness and loss for someone I never met, but I consider myself very lucky to have gotten to know him and his unique sensibility through CBB, Analyze Phish, and the many other shows he appeared (and absolutely destroyed) on throughout the years. We lost a great one, folks.

• Like 5

I thought the AV Club's write-up was really well done. I made the mistake of reading the one on Gawker, which just infuriated me to no end.

Yeah the AVClub article was nice, and the comments section was full of love for Harris. I was pretty surprised that the Gawker comments were mostly kind, there were some shitty, snarky comments about drug use, but miles away from the vile shit at TMZ. Some people at Gawker called out the author for bringing up that old beef too.

Harris clearly touched a lot of people, and made many more laugh. I hope he knew this.

• Like 3

One of the funniest people probably no one knew about (until today).

Is there any chance at all CBB will do a tribute episode to Harris? He deserves it - I don't care if it's not funny.

• Like 5

Is there any chance at all CBB will do a tribute episode to Harris? He deserves it - I don't care if it's not funny.

I would love a supercut episode of all his best stuff from CBB, but then again, I could just go back and listen to all his appearances.

• Like 2

I was hoping maybe there would be a best of Harris episode that comes out as a tribute. I would think it might take some time for Scott to be able to soldier through talking about him, but it would be really nice to hear I think. I wouldn't want to put any pressure on them to make it though.

• Like 1

God, this is so devastating. I always loved his podcast appearances and really looked up to him as a writer and a comedian. I know I am one of many people who is going to be spending this weekend listening to Analyze Phish and his CBB and other show appearances, cry-laughing the whole time.

"Where there's a will, there's a Wayans."

• Like 2

I was hoping maybe there would be a best of Harris episode that comes out as a tribute. I would think it might take some time for Scott to be able to soldier through talking about him, but it would be really nice to hear I think. I wouldn't want to put any pressure on them to make it though.

I think it would be nice if they would at least put something up on the main page, or at least the blog. Seems like maybe they're kind of dropping the ball on this...

Maron did it, Pete Holmes did it...let's go Earwolf

REDACTED

Edited by American Diaper
  • Like 1

I think it would be nice if they would at least put something up on the main page, or at least the blog. Seems like maybe they're kind of dropping the ball on this...

I wouldn't say they're dropping the ball. They're probably just taking their time for the proper tribute. They don't have a one-on-one interview episode with Harris like WTF and YMIW. They did blackout their profile & background pics of FB last night.

• Like 1

I think I'm going to try to finally pull together my scattered, foamey notes into something workable and sign my name on an open mic list this weekend. Not sure bringing some shitty comedy into the world is a real tribute, but at least it feels like doing something...

• Like 7

I'm sure they are taking their time and will come out with some unbelievably beautiful and touching tribute, and then I'll just feel like a real jerk for posting that in the forums.

• Like 2

Only 20 minutes into YMIW and its already super eerie, talking about how to treat celebrity deaths and laughing at morbid things because you kinda have to to get by. Haven't even got to the personal shit yet. :/

• Like 1

Dude, they're grieving the loss of their friend and you're expecting them to appease us?

• Like 8

I'm sure they are taking their time and will come out with some unbelievably beautiful and touching tribute, and then I'll just feel like a real jerk for posting that in the forums.

You should feel that way regardless.

• Like 7

Dude, they're grieving the loss of their friend and you're expecting them to appease us?

This. A really helpful article that I think should be mandatory reading for being a human:

http://articles.lati...theory-20130407

The article talks about it in terms of dealing with terminal illness but it applies equally well to grieving.

tl;dr: Emotional energy, while dealing with tragedy, is a one-way street. You provide emotional support to people closer to the nucleus of tragedy, and if you need to seek support for yourself you turn to people equally or further removed. NEVER the other way around.

stl;sdr: "Comfort IN, dump OUT."

• Like 6

Only 20 minutes into YMIW and its already super eerie, talking about how to treat celebrity deaths and laughing at morbid things because you kinda have to to get by. Haven't even got to the personal shit yet. :/

I can't listen to that episode again. It's too close. That episode was tough at the time it dropped and scared the shit out of me. You're a stronger man than I.

• Like 4

Years ago Comedy Bang Bang (or CDR then) was my introduction to the alt-comedy scene and Harris was a major player on those earlier episodes. As they say he had funny in his bones. I'll always remember the laughs. RIP

• Like 8

It should've been Cosby. :(

when its an OD I don't know if you can really say that. I'm very sad he's gone, but you have to look at it for what it is, a learning moment for any fans or anyone in the comedy community struggling with addiction. Its a sad shame he's gone but he wasnt hit by a car crossing the street, he did it

I don't want to sound like I'm making this about me or my enterainment needs, but man, it is genuinely crushing that I will never be able to listen to his stuff the same way ever again. Whenever I crack up at Harris' Foam Corner it will be with the thought that we'll never hear this brilliant guy again.

• Like 2

when its an OD I don't know if you can really say that. I'm very sad he's gone, but you have to look at it for what it is, a learning moment for any fans or anyone in the comedy community struggling with addiction. Its a sad shame he's gone but he wasnt hit by a car crossing the street, he did it

You must be that guy.

• Like 3

This is just awful. I saw people tweeting "RIP So sorry Scott" at Aukerman last night but assumed it was some kind of joke.

I have not been this devastated about the death of someone I don't know in...ever?

Robin Williams made me feel this way, because of how he went and what he brought to so many people it was just completely brutal to put it all in perspective. Thinking back, when Farley passed I definitely had a similar feeling to this one, its just a shame he didnt get to bring laughs to more people, and more laughs to those of us who already valued what he brought to the comedy world

• Like 1

I don't know it is helpful to look at it as "he did it." Addiction is a disease; people who are easily addicted have imbalances in their brain chemicals. & most of them work hard to try to get off drugs. It's not easy for them. It's a constant battle. Placing blame on the addicted person isn't really helpful.

It is good to take the message away from all this that drugs are deadly, but once a person is into addiction and finding it difficult to get out, they aren't trying to overdose or push the limits in a reckless way; they are just trying to not feel the sickness that comes one when they're body doesn''t have the drug.

• Like 8