🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
CraigHowe

We will miss you Harris

I stumbled upon this 2008 standup segment from Harris today. Just got uploaded a little big ago, so maybe it's new to you guys. I'd never seen his stand-up before.

It reminds me of the story he told on Pete Holmes' show about how he was awarded a spot on some "hot new stand-up artist" showcase, and when it was his turn to get up and talk, he started off with "Uh, yeah. I'm not really a stand-up, for the most part. I like, uh, writing."

• Like 1

I stumbled upon this 2008 standup segment from Harris today. Just got uploaded a little big ago, so maybe it's new to you guys. I'd never seen his stand-up before.

It reminds me of the story he told on Pete Holmes' show about how he was awarded a spot on some "hot new stand-up artist" showcase, and when it was his turn to get up and talk, he started off with "Uh, yeah. I'm not really a stand-up, for the most part. I like, uh, writing."

Thanks for posting. The tit bit just made me spit out my coffee and I wasn't even drinking any!

I just had a revelation that the reason I wept when I found out that Harris had died, I believe by opening this thread, and how it affected me for a very long time, is that podcasting can be a very intimate medium. Even though I'm just some random asshole to the people I listen to, many of them feel like my friends and sometimes become my heroes in one way or another. Harris was a bit of both, and I don't think I'll ever forget how the death of a stranger had such a meaningful impact on me. I grew up with Robin Williams as one of my heroes and rolemodels, and I cried when he died as well, but I know that no "celebrity death" hit me as hard as Harris Wittels. I think this speaks volumes about podcasting, or at least a certain type of podcasting, and how much it can connect with people. I hope I can honor Harris by giving less fucks about what people think and doing the things that I think are funny and cool. I hope we all can, because he deserves it and we deserve it too.

• Like 2